Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Brake bleeding tool  (Read 14120 times)

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Brake bleeding tool
« on: December 17, 2018, 05:38:28 pm »
Have one of those brake bleeding bottle.  I'm thinking I have a part missing in the catcher bottle.  On the top of the catcher bottle there are two connections.  On the cap what are the connections. if it makes a difference.  And should there be a plastic tube on the lid that goes into the bottle?????  It looks like there should be, and should that connection be going to the brake or the vacuum pump

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Brake bleeding tool
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 07:45:28 pm »
What does it look like?

This?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:35:42 pm »
I have a MightyVac like this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00265M9SS/ref=psdc_15707321_t4_B00SYQQ6KK

A short tube goes between the bottle and the vacuum pump.  The long tube goes to your bleeder valve on the clutch or brake.  I lost my bottle years ago, and don't remember if it had a tube that went down into the bottle, or not.  If it did, there would be a nipple inside the lid.  You just want to be sure that it's set up so that no fluid gets pulled into the pump.  Look on the inside of the cap to see if one port directs fluid down into the bottle.  If it does, the other would be where the vacuum is applied. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 12:06:03 pm »
GTRS Fiero, no that is not the type.  Fierofool, that is the type I have.  In thinking about it, I dont think it makes much difference how it is connected.  The top I have has a small tube on the brake side.  And I would think that is so the flluid isnt sucked into sucker.   Thanks for the input, just wanted to make sure my thinking was correct.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 02:24:45 pm »
Yes, the fluid should be directed to the bottom of the bottle and the air should be evacuated at the top.  The problem I had when using the pump on a bleeder valve is that it tended to suck air around the threads of the bleeder.  I once read where someone used heavy grease, removed the valve and greased up the threads really good, then put it back in loosely.  I suppose any grease would get pulled into the jar and not contaminate the fluid in the system.  But those pumps work really good in finding vacuum leaks in the tubing on the engine. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Slyp

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 05:04:31 pm »
Good to know.  Thanks

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 11:16:22 pm »
Did you get your brakes bled?