Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Quarter Window Adhesive Tape  (Read 28 times)

montegut

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Quarter Window Adhesive Tape
« on: June 09, 2024, 06:46:38 pm »
I am having to replace my quarter windows, GT, and have the Fiero Store premium replacement. The windows are great quality but the supplied adhesive tape is giving me a problem. I bought the windows over 2 years ago when my car was damaged but had no idea it would be this long before I was able to replace the windows. The tape is just not holding. Don't know if it is just old. I followed all the directions on surface prep, application ect but after 24 hours, the windows came off quite easily. I just got back from O'Reilly's and bought the 3M heavy duty automotive trim tape but it is very thin. Any recommendations?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Quarter Window Adhesive Tape
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2024, 06:57:35 pm »
The trim tape is very thin.  Did the tape come loose or did the paint release from the window?  If it was the paint that released, they didn't print them with the propler ink. 

The proper tape is a double side foam tape. Per Paul McKibben's Fiero Sails website "The tape for fastback quarter windows is 1/2" wide x 3 mm thick (120 mils) Very High Bond (VHB) closed-cell white acrylic tape with adhesive on two sides. The 3M product number for a 36 yard roll is 4959. "

Edited:  In his info, he says that it comes in a 36 yard roll but you may be able to get shorter rolls at https://www.tapecase.com/search?keyword=3M%204949%20VHB%20Tape

Clicking on the tape says it's discontinued and directs you to a substitute #5952 VHB tape.   It might be possible to call Matt at The Fiero Store and ask if they can sell you some fresh tape since you got the windows from them. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 07:12:47 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

montegut

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 07:23:16 pm »
The paint on the windows and car is fine. The tape pulled off easily from both the windows and car so I think it’s a problem with the adhesive just being old.
I will check with TFS tomorrow about just the tape. Thanks

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2024, 10:45:27 pm »
I have also heard/read discussions about the tape. When Doug Kinney was running Fiero Warehouse, and selling those windows (Chris Cook's "cheaper" ones, I think) he said that the regular trim tape was too thin. He sourced - and recommended - an alternative. This was a long time ago. It may be the same stuff that Paul M recommended.

montegut

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2024, 07:22:06 pm »
I was able to order the tape from  The Fiero Store. Hope to install the windows this weekend or next. Will post pictures if it goes well. If it goes poorly I can be found in a corner of my garage in a fetal position.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2024, 08:04:20 pm »
Make note of where the oem tape was placed.  Also leave several 1/4 inch gaps in the tape across the bottom for drainage.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

montegut

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2024, 08:11:45 pm »
Will do. Thanks