Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: ECM burnt up, now my Fuel pump isn't working. PICS  (Read 15902 times)

jwrape

• View Profile
ECM burnt up, now my Fuel pump isn't working. PICS
« on: November 09, 2011, 06:45:26 am »
So on the way to work on Saturday. Car cut off about 5 times and I would just restart it and it would keep going down the road, but there was a burnt plastic smell all the way to work. Actually still stinks up the car. So I tracked the smell of the burnt part with my nose to the console. I removed the console and followed my nose to the ECM. I removed it and replaced it with another that didn't stink although had the same issue with not turning on the fuel pump. So I have temporarily hot wired the Fuel pump to a switch until I can get another ECM (the 3rd one)..

Here are the pics of the burnt FET inside the ECM. I thought you guys would want to see it.

Here is what the FET usually looks like

So from here I'm gonna try to replace it although I have no idea of it's value since it was a pile of dust after I took it off the board. I will just try one of the FET's I have already and see if it works. Worst comes to Worst i will replace my Oil Sending unit and run the Fuel pump off that circuit until I can find a good ECM that won't burn up.
86GT Automaic 2.8L, 05, G35, 96 MZ3

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: ECM burnt up, now my Fuel pump isn't working. PICS
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:40:38 am »
It sounds like you've got some wiring that's out of order.  You were probably pretty lucky.  I've seen a couple of pictures on Pennocks where fires started in the ECM area and burned the car. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 08:04:24 am »
It sounds like you've got some wiring that's out of order.  You were probably pretty lucky.  I've seen a couple of pictures on Pennocks where fires started in the ECM area and burned the car.

Oh Believe me,  I had the fire extinguisher right beside me. :-)

I'm not afraid of it catching, I had my 84 catch back in the day and I saved it. I do plan on getting one more extinguisher to mount in the front trunk area for extra protection but the one I have would prolly do the trick.

As for the wiring, I really don't know what could cause it(Maybe old circuit, maybe not). Except for my Fuel pump, that is now hot wired, all my wiring is stock and not messed with that I have seen. Everything is good. I think it could be bad grounds, so last night I went around and polished up the grounds and relocated my extra ground from the top of the intake to the side of the motor where the original ground is. If there was a grounding issue, I should have over corrected it now.  :-)
I'm gonna fix the ECM's and try to correct the issue with one of these before trying to install another from a salvage ECM.  Trial and error-hopefully will get it fixed again. I hate my wiring being rigged the way it is for the fuel pump, but I have to drive it. It's currently my daily driver.
86GT Automaic 2.8L, 05, G35, 96 MZ3

88_4mula

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 02:38:07 pm »
If you need a extra ecm, I have one out of a '84.
It was a parts car. You can have it if it will work for you.

aerodonamic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 07:23:05 pm »
If the car is a 4-CYL. STD. TRANS. I have one for the asking E-Mail at aerodonamic@att.net I also have ECMS for all years and trans. @20.00 EA.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:58:26 pm »
I also have 2 or 3 V6 manual units with Air Conditioning. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers