Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Question on fastback conversion  (Read 15569 times)

TheMac

Question on fastback conversion
« on: December 22, 2011, 06:57:22 pm »
I have an 87 base coupe that I want to do the fastback conversion on. I will stay with the front fascia that is on the car. I get confused when it comes to which years have what moldings. Can I use my existing rounded moulding cover with the fastback rear roof section, or are the roof sections different?  See told you I was confused! Thanks Michael
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:59:48 pm by TheMac »

TheMac

Re: Question on fastback conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 07:10:50 pm »
I wasn't very clear in my original post. I hope I don't make it worse! Is the molding on the rear on the fascia itself or is some of it on the rear roof section? I can't tell if the molding behind the rear wheels is removable or on the rear roof section itself.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:15:50 pm »
All fastbacks had the rounded moulding.  If you look at Raydar's gray fastback, you'll see what the conversion should look like.  His was an 88, but it was the same body as the 87.  You will need the fastback tail lights and rear harness to go with that conversion.  All the molding on the side is removeable.  The moldings on the front and rear fascias isn't.  It's a part of the fascia.  You can see the separation line at the marker light and fascia junctions. 

Welcome to the Georgia Fiero Club forum.  Download our version of PIP and post some pictures of your ride and tell us a little about you.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 07:31:03 pm »
Hey, welcome TheMac.
You will also need the engine vents for the fastback version and a different engine cover

\D
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 07:50:13 pm »
Here's a couple pictures of Raydar's conversion.  Can't see a lot of detail in the rear shot, but you can get an idea of what it would look like. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TheMac

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 05:35:53 pm »
Raydar's car is one of the nicest Fiero's I seen. I have nothing against those that do the body kits (Lambo's, Ferrari's etc.) but I do appreciate the stock bodied cars!

I am trying to decide whether to step up to an 88' automatic car as I'm tired of shifting and wanting to eventually do a 3800 swap. I will keep my eyes open for one of those. Thanks for all the replies.  Michael

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 11:15:59 pm »
Raydar's is the car in the top picture and the 2nd car in the bottom picture.  It's the dark gray one.  It was originally the same body style as yours and he did as you plan to do, and installed a fastback clip on it.

The first car in the lower picture is Whodeanie's.  It's a one-off design he built for himself.  That's what he does at Whodeanie's Customs in Woodstock. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 05:17:48 pm »
Thanks for the compliments, guys! :blush:

The bumper cover on the 87 will work just fine with the fastback.
You will not need to buy any additional trim strips. Everything you have will work.

You will need the fastback tail light harness.
Plug it in and make sure that all the lights work properly. I have heard that the 4 cylinder cars needed an additional wire.
I started out with a Formula (V6). Everything was plug-n-play.

Here's a few pics of mine from the back...