Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Run For The Hills 17 Scouting Run (s)  (Read 60296 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Run For The Hills 17 Scouting Run (s)
« on: April 14, 2012, 11:19:39 pm »
This thread will be for discussion of the scouting runs that will be needed to set up and finalize the RFTH 17 course, gas stops and restaurant. 

On April 21, we will be doing our first scouting run for RFTH 17.  As usual, when we travel up toward the NE Georgia area, we meet at the QT gas station in Oakwood/Gainesville, Ga. 

The QT is at 3446 Mundy Mill Road, Oakwood, Ga.  It is at Exit 16 off I-985, about 1/4 mile to the right of the end of the exit ramp, when traveling North on I-985. 

Please be at the QT, gassed up and ready to pull out by 9AM.  If you say you're going and aren't there by 9am, please call Don K. or myself to let us know how close you are.  We will be traveling up I-985 which changes to US 441.  We'll follow it all the way to Franklin, NC, before we depart US 441 for other roads. 

Some North or West Atlanta people may choose to travel up I-575 which eventually becomes US 76, and meet us in Clayton, Ga. around 10.  If you do plan to meet us any place other than the QT in Oakwood, let us know. 

This isn't a performance run, but you're welcome to try your hand at the roads, if you so desire.  I'm sure all of us will at some point.  Bring FRS radios if you have them.  Also bring a few tools and an ignition module and a gallon of coolant mix.  Never know when they'll be needed.  At a point, we will be climbing constantly to an elevation of about 1 mile with a maximum speed limit of 45 mph, so overheating is a possibility.  Bring a ride-along.  It's more fun with someone sitting shotgun with you, and after a day of twists and turns, they can drive home while you rest. 

Many of you expressed the desire to go.  Hope all of you make it.  It will be an enjoyable experience.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Spartanzz

• View Profile
Re: Run For The Hills 17 Scouting Run (s)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:26:31 am »
I am very excited to go! i am talking to jen about going cuz i know she will enjoy the scenery. Plus like you said always good to have someone with ya :D

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:38:41 pm »
Headcount:

Fierofool
Spartanzz
85GT
Donster

C'mon folks, who else?

\D
Life is good!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:14:21 pm »
Linda and I plan to be out of town that weekend. That plan has been in effect for a while. However, with Jon sick, we're not 100% sure what's going to happen.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 12:00:56 am »
Not sure if this is good news or bad...but looks like my other plans for that day are falling apart.  So...I will be there with the convertible.

I am on the lookout for a hot young blonde to ride along...anyone have a spare available?

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 12:11:46 am »
Actually...I think I will choose to meet you in Clayton...or maybe even Franklin.

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 12:15:57 am »
Headcount:

Fierofool
Spartanzz
85GT
CowsPatoot
Donster

C'mon folks, who else?

\D
Life is good!

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 12:23:54 am »
I'm hoping HarryT and his wife Karin can join us again!

\D
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 08:11:04 am »
I just saw the weather forecast and they're calling for rain and possible thunderstorms.  Do we still want to make the trip or put it off until the last Saturday this month?  If we do it this weekend, I certainly wouldn't recommend the convertible. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 09:08:05 am »
The tires on the Phoenix might not be the best for that type of weather. If the forecast hasn't changed by Thursday, we might decline.

\D
Life is good!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 06:53:31 pm »
Well, the schedule's coming apart for me.  This weekend they're expecting rain/thunderstorms.  April 28 and May 5 has been booked for family matters, May 12 is the club picnic, so can we reschedule the scouting run for May 19?

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 07:38:43 pm »
I'll check my calendar at work but May 19 might work better for me, and let me drive the FieroHERO service vehicle.

I can't imagine chasing you nutjobs through the twisties on wet roads in the Saturn anyway.   ::)

FGTB
Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

Spartanzz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 08:39:22 pm »
yeah may 19th may be easier on my part too. Little more time to work it out with the new job :D and thats 5 days from my bday!

HarryT

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 01:00:07 am »
We should be able to meet y'all in Clayton if you make the run on May 19.  Speaking of birthdays, that will be a week before my birthday. ;D
Harry and Karin
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:02:04 am by HarryT »
87  Black GT (The Little Black Car)
2009 Honda CR-V
X 2002  40' Allegro Bus X Traded
2008 Thor Four Winds Siesta 25SA
Retired Mechanic

CowsPatoot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 01:02:18 am »
Hate to see it put off that far...but if it is going to rain on us, I won't be able to bring the convertible this weekend (windshield wipers don't work right now).  I am definitely in for May 19th though.