Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Hello, Im new to the Fiero World  (Read 17830 times)

PRND3L

• View Profile
Hello, Im new to the Fiero World
« on: August 27, 2013, 09:59:06 pm »
Hey Guys,

My name is Alex and I just recently purchased an '86 2M4. I bought this with the intentions of just having car to serve as an AutoX/RallyX/Drag/Troll Car/ and minimal street duty. this is my first experience with a Fiero or anything of this type of platform. I daily drive a Subaru WRX, but love just about any car on the road. I look forward to getting my hands dirty on this Fiero.

I bought it for a modest $200. The story behind it was that the owner I bought it from wanted to learn how to be a mechanic, hit a snag in terms of finances, and had to park it; it sat for five years then I became the lucky owner of a non-running Fiero. Fortunately in doing some diag and beginning tinkering with it, it appears to be solid and in need of a good amount of T.L.C to get it back to running condition. I'm really excited about this car. and I cant wait to get more into it.
1986 Pontiac Fiero 2M4 - The Racecar
2003 Subaru WRX - Daily Driver/AutoX
Georgia Southern University Eagle Motorsports - Formula/Baja SAE
www.geogiasouthern.edu/racing

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, Im new to the Fiero World
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:18:13 pm »
Welcome to Fiero Fun! If you're going to use the car for AutoX,  you might want to put a stronger engine in it. The duke can be built a little, but not much.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:22:47 am »
Welcome!

I'm an old SCCA Pro-Rallyist, Rally-Xer, so let me know if I can help!

Fiero GTB
Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:01:50 am »
Is it the base version or the SE model?  Four cylinder 86 SE's are not very common. 

I don't know what the rules are for your intended competition, but if not prohibited, at least drop in a V6.  The 93-95 Camaro/Firebird 3.4 would be the smallest recommendation, followed by a Series II 3800 NA, then a Series II 3800 Supercharged.  Next would be some variation of the Chevy small block engines. 

The stock 3.4 will bump you from a struggling 90 HP up to an enjoyable 160, then there are some go-fast goodies you can add to the 3.4.  The 3800 NA is about 205 HP and the Supercharged version gets up around 225. Then there is the wide range of HP gains with the Corvette engines. 

Are you close by the Atlanta area?   
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

PRND3L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 10:38:20 am »
As far as I can tell there isn't any form of ID of it being an SE or some other model Fiero. The only clear markings that I see are 2M4. I live in Mcdonough but I go to school at GA Southern where I am a member of the Formula and Baja SAE Teams.

Modifications that I have planned for the Fiero are kind of unknown. Im going to start stock and over time make it bigger, better, faster, etc. I actually ran into another member of this club that pointed me to this forum while I was at Pull-A-Part and he said one thing I could do to the Iron duke is put a GM 350 V8 fuel injector to get a little extra "umph."

I've actually started building this car "backwards," as I said it currently doesn't run, but I haven't noticed any real signs of why it shouldn't from the brief work I have done. Once I get my patched fuel tank back Ill start work on the power train this weekend. Currently I've got some BBS alloys off a VW in Pull-A-Part that I will run my Hoosiers for AutoX, I installed some Summit "Race" seats in it cause the original Fiero seats were garbage, a set of tail lights, and the fuel tank from PAP. Depending on how bad the engine and trans may or may not be, its then a matter at looking at whats next in importance to fix. It might need a new clutch, and will be in need of new brakes. I guess its a good thing I dont have the Fiero down here at school with me, haha.  ;D

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 12:19:26 pm »
The 2.5 just isn't a performance engine.  It's designed as an economy commuter.  It just doesn't have the strength to hold up to the abuse of racing. 

If the car were an SE, it would probably have SE on the quarter windows.  The car would have an opening in the nose for air to the radiator and it would have quad exhausts.  Otherwise it will have an exhaust on the drivers side only and will have rectangular 'bumper pads' on the front and rear fascias. 

The guy you ran into wouldn't happen to be a tall skinny dude in a black GT, would it? 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

PRND3L

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 01:27:50 pm »
I don't think the guy had his Fiero with him that day, but I believe he introduced himself as Jeremy.

Yeah from what I've been reading the Duke isn't a engine suited for what I am doing, but for the time it will do the job. After all the car is going to be for fun. I'd like to put a V^ in it eventually but that is way off in the horizon in terms for the project.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 02:06:53 pm »
BTW, you are more than welcome to come to our next club meeting (September 14), whether you have a running Fiero or not. You can talk to our experts in person. See our home page for more info.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

PRND3L

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 11:07:18 am »
Yeah, I might make it out to that meeting. Thanks for letting me know about it.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 09:04:29 pm »

The stock 3.4 will bump you from a struggling 90 HP up to an enjoyable 160, then there are some go-fast goodies you can add to the 3.4.  The 3800 NA is about 205 HP and the Supercharged version gets up around 225. Then there is the wide range of HP gains with the Corvette engines. 

Can a 3.4 or 3800 be used without strengthening the gearbox? 
If not, what other mods need to be done?
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 09:30:13 pm »
The 3.4 adds about 20 hp in its stock form.  Well within tolerance for the 85 and 86 Muncie or the Getrags.  The 3800 NA will take you up to Just over 200 hp, and still no serious threat to the transmission with moderate spirited driving.  Probably wouldn't be good to run it every weekend at the local Run What You Brung drag strip.  For anything higher you'd probably want to go up to the later model Getrags.  I think the next generation was the 282 Getrag.  You can also cryo treat the case and gears for added strength of any transmission.  I wouldn't recommend the 84 4-speeds or the Th125's for any engine upgrade beyond the 2.8.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 08:51:27 pm »
The 3.4 adds about 20 hp in its stock form.  Well within tolerance for the 85 and 86 Muncie or the Getrags.  The 3800 NA will take you up to Just over 200 hp, and still no serious threat to the transmission with moderate spirited driving.  Probably wouldn't be good to run it every weekend at the local Run What You Brung drag strip.  For anything higher you'd probably want to go up to the later model Getrags.  I think the next generation was the 282 Getrag.  You can also cryo treat the case and gears for added strength of any transmission.  I wouldn't recommend the 84 4-speeds or the Th125's for any engine upgrade beyond the 2.8.

So an '87 Getrag 5-speed should handle the 3.4 and 3800 NA without any mods?  Cool.
What does need to be modified?
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 10:17:36 pm »
Today I rode in an 87GT with a stock Getrag, but it had a Stage 2 4-puck clutch in it.  It also had a 3800 supercharged engine.  The transmission was holding it very well under some pretty hard acceleration. 

To install the 3.4 into a 2.8 car, the only thing that needs done is to drill and tap to relocate the starter to the left side of the engine.  If it's an automatic, you will need to grind off a small portion of the original starter boss on the right side.  If it's a manual, nothing else needs done.  Just transfer everything from the 2.8 to the 3.4.

For a 3800, you need a new OBD 2 computer and have it reprogrammed, new wiring harness, engine and transmission mounts and a flywheel. Possibly a new fuel pump, depending upon if you're doing an NA or SC and a new exhaust system.  Probably other stuff, but those are the basics. 

Then with the 3800's extra Go, you'll probably find you need some extra Whoa, so a brake upgrade would be in order.  Probably the Grand Am upgrade would be the cheapest. 

If you're upgrading from a 4 cylinder, the same applies, but for the 3.4, you would need a new V6 OBD 1 computer from a V6 and an engine compartment harness.  Fiero ECM's are specific to the engine/transmission combo except that a V6 manual ECM of any year works for all manual V6 2.8 or 3.4's.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 11:43:17 pm »
I live in Mcdonough but I go to school at GA Southern where I am a member of the Formula and Baja SAE Teams.

Redraif and I aren't far from you.  We're in Hampton  :).  Hope to see you at a meeting soon.