Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Turn Signals don't work, but hazards and wipers function  (Read 21025 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Turn Signals don't work, but hazards and wipers function
« on: October 05, 2013, 05:21:42 pm »
Howdy Fiero-friends,

My 1987 GT (manual transmission) has non-functioning turn signals.  The hazards work; as do the wipers and windshield spray.  Cruise has not worked since purchasing the car.

I replaced the turn signal fuse and took off the decorative plate beneath the steering column and cleaned the connections.  No luck. 

So what's the issue:  The turn signal arm, the turn signal wires from the steering column, the wires they connect to under the dash, or something else?  Is there a way to tell which one?

Thanks for the replies,

Paul
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Turn Signals don't work, but hazards and wipers function
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 05:45:26 pm »
Did you replace the flasher. It plugs in under the dash somewhere on the driver side (can't remember exactly where). The flasher for the 4-way lights is a different one, and plugs in under the dash on the passenger side. But it's the same kind, so you can try swapping them.
Another possible source of trouble is a relay near the driver side headlight. I had a signal flasher problem once, and that relay turned out to be loose in its socket.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 08:24:01 pm »
We usually refer to it as the turn signal stalk, but it's technically a multi-function switch.  Each independent of the other.

There's the cruise function, which is a tiny printed circuit inside the stalk.  Cruise is the only circuit in the stalk.  Then there's the turn signal switch, which functions only in an up and down motion and isn't actually a part of the stalk.  Next is the dimmer switch, which functions in a front to rear motion and is internal to the column.  Wipers are controlled by a rotational switch which is what the multi-function switch snaps into.  They are actually controlled by the motor and circuit board underneath the front hood.  Any one of them can fail or work without affecting the others.  Let's work on the turn signals first, since those are needed. 

The turn signal flasher is clipped to the left hand side of the steering column support. You will need to remove the lower column trim plate to access it easily. 

Check all the bulbs using the 4-way flasher.  If any of them are out, including any of the side markers, it can cause them to not function.  This is a test of the bulbs, only.  The 4-way and turn signals are actually on a different circuit.  Check all fuses.  Pontiac had a way of powering things off fuses that were marked for other purposes.  BAT fuse is a common one.  Also Radio. 

An initial check of the cruise circuit can be done by turning off the cruise.  Slide the switch toward the end of the stalk.  Have a helper turn on the ignition then move the slide switch toward the steering column.  At the same time, place your hand on the small solenoid located at the end of the coffee can in the engine bay.  It's on the left trunk wall.  The solenoid has an orange harness plugged into it.  It should click.  If it doesn't, something within the circuit is faulty.

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 02:19:01 pm »
Did you replace the flasher. It plugs in under the dash somewhere on the driver side (can't remember exactly where). The flasher for the 4-way lights is a different one, and plugs in under the dash on the passenger side. But it's the same kind, so you can try swapping them.
Another possible source of trouble is a relay near the driver side headlight. I had a signal flasher problem once, and that relay turned out to be loose in its socket.

I pulled out the trusty 1987 Pontiac Fiero Service Manual, page 8A-201-14 Figure B, and can't tell where I should be looking to find the passenger side "flasher".  Can you narrow this novice's search area down?  Is the driver's side flasher in the steering column?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 03:00:06 pm »
You can access it without removing the lower column trim piece, but it makes it a little easier to locate.

On either side of the steering column, there is a support brace.  They run front to rear alongside the column.  On the left one, directly in line with the clutch pedal and neutral safety switch, you should find the flasher clipped to the side of the support brace.  If it isn't, then there should be an L shaped harness connector there with female terminals.  That would be the turn signal harness.  If you don't see a flasher, then it's been removed. 

Sorry.  I mis-read your question.  Look underneath the passenger dash and find the big black hvac cover.  The flasher is attached to the right side of it.  If you have a blue-dingy-thingy (chime box) there, it would be hidden behind it.  If you have the auxilliary sound system with subwoofer, it will be hidden up behind all that.  It's on the side of the climate control ductwork and the right kick panel. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:09:46 pm by Fierofool »

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 08:07:23 pm »

So far no luck.  Taking a break until tomorrow.

Took off the cover UNDER the steering wheel.  Found a bunch of wires coming out to a connector with 10 pick-ups.  Disconnected that and the hazards stop flashing.  Don't think that's the right set of wires.  From the car side wires (IOW, not the wires from the steering wheel), some of the wires go off to another module.  Is that the flasher module?  Haven't found anything like it on the passenger side.

Managed to snap the seatbelt feed near the floor on the drivers side while looking under the steering wheel.  It's just a decorative cover but I'm annoyed with myself.

While teaching my oldest to drive a manual transmission we lost all but 3rd and 4th gear.  She's driving great so it wasn't her fault.  Just lost 1st, (probably) 2nd, 5th, and reverse.  Any idea how to fix the transmission?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 09:07:46 pm »
3rd and 4th gear are the two that don't require any sideways motion of the shifter. The sideways motion involves a different cable from the fore and aft motion. That cable has probably come off either at the shifter or the transmission.
If you are not sure what a flasher looks like, look at a standard one at a parts store. Then you'll know what to look for in the car.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:24:20 am by TopNotch »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 09:36:13 pm »
TopNotch, you are amazing.  I'll check tomorrow.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 11:13:25 pm »
The flasher is round, usually silver, about the size of the cap from a can of WD-40.  Since the 4-ways work, concentrate on the turn signal flasher.  It's raining here.  Tomorrow when it stops, I'll take a picture and post it here so you can locate it. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 11:18:07 am »
This is a picture of the turn signal flasher, looking up from the drivers side floor.  You can see the steering column and the relative area where the flasher would be located.  Usually it's clipped to the side of the metal plate you can see above the flasher.

This is a picture of the 4-way signal flasher.  It's plugged into the Convenience Center.  The picture is looking up from the passenger side floor.  The large black piece is the cover for the heater core and the convenience center holds the round flasher and the square horn relay.  The 8 holes is where the blue-dingy-thingy plugs in.  If you have the subwoofer, it may hide the convenience center.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 08:30:58 pm »
Found it!  Thank you for your help.

Found the passenger side hazard yesterday, but it didn't want to come out, so I left it.  Wasn't sure it was the hazard at the time.  Armed with your photos, I knew it would unplug.  Next time I want to identify a part I'll Google Image it!

Finding the turn signal module by the steering column was a bit harder.  But once again your photos told me it had to be there.  Turns out it was clipped off to the side with the black, back facing me with wires coming out.  My mind was focused on finding a big, round, silver thing so I kept missing it.

You were right that the turn signal was bad.  I'll get another module tomorrow. 
BTW, what's the white plastic thingy at the bottom of your steering column photo? 

Now to fix the manual transmission.  Any advice on finding the cable?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 11:10:35 pm »
That would be the neutral safety switch.  On cars equipped with cruise control, it also incorporates the cruise disengage switch.