Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: I'm mounting a posse!  (Read 16033 times)

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
I'm mounting a posse!
« on: December 28, 2013, 10:53:57 pm »
I'm mounting a posse to track down and string up the yeller-bellied cur who done stole my bank card number yesterday.

My bank called first thing this morning to report some suspicious charges to my card overnight.

No, I wasn't at a EuroRail ticket kiosk in Fornebu, Norway at 10:46 am buying a $724 ticket to the U.K., where I then purchased some cosmetics on-line from the Shau Kei Wan district of Hong Kong, and still had time to make it back to my hotel room at the Budget Suites in Kentucky USA less than one minute later.

Of course, the bank had to put a stop on my card, and I can't order a new one until next Thursday because I have to go in and sign a paper attesting that I didn't make these purchases and my branch (inside the building where I work) is closed M-T-W of this coming week.

I asked the woman at the Fraud Investigations department who called, that, if they caught the person, would they be willing to extradite him back to Atlanta, so that I could kill him personally.

She had a great sense of humor and replied, "I suppose you'll have to talk to your local branch manager about that, sir."  At least, I think she was kidding...

So, who's up for a Fiero road trip: Norway, to the UK, to Hong Kong, and back home through Kentucky?

Seriously, folks, watch your cards and be aware of people around you.  I have a pretty good idea who got my number, and when, so if it proves true, I will invite y'all to the hangin'.

Fiero GTB ("Get That Badguy")

Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm mounting a posse!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:47:20 am »
Did you get this straightened out?

We can keel-haul 'em! When do we leave for Norway?
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:09:07 am »
Be Sure To File A Police Report.

I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 11:23:29 am »
Be Sure To File A Police Report.

By all means, and carry that report on your person for a year or two.  When the companies start bringing charges against you, you'll want proof so as to stay out of Atlanta's Finest hotel. 

If they are caught, the club has the remains of the Joel Project stored at ThaDriver's.  When we're through with them, we could put them in it, and set it on fire.  It's an '84.  We can always use the defense of "Those things catch fire, you know!"

You need to do what Melanie has done.  She has it set up that we get an email notification any time a charge is made on one of our cards.  Makes it very difficult for me to keep Christmas, Birthday and Anniversary gifts a secret, but the security is worth it. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fiero GTB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 06:48:14 pm »
I must say that my bank was on top of it. They blocked all but one charge ($5.55). I saw that even that one was already taken off my account by the next day. They also handled the fraud report, which I just signed Thursday morning when the branch in my office building reopened after the holidays.

Scary part is, I carry a RFID-blocking wallet that I bought two years ago. I even tested it at the office by putting my ID badge inside it and holding it up against several RFID readers at various doorways. The wallet blocked all of the readers, every single time.

So, I suppose someone skimmed it from the card reader at the register of a pet store I went into the previous day.

FGTB

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 07:52:52 am »
they probably just piggyback off the batch transmission each day, they probably got hold of more than one card no. i bet.  sneaky bastards!
Did you hear of some ring was foiling up the comm sats on the roofs of merchants, so the batch wouldn't go through, then hijack/piggyback the transmission and go on a spending spree?  i heard it on the radio as a news short last week.  i don't remember what news source.
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fiero GTB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 12:41:08 pm »
they probably just piggyback off the batch transmission each day, they probably got hold of more than one card no. i bet.  sneaky bastards!
Did you hear of some ring was foiling up the comm sats on the roofs of merchants, so the batch wouldn't go through, then hijack/piggyback the transmission and go on a spending spree?  i heard it on the radio as a news short last week.  i don't remember what news source.
Ron

Didn't hear about the recent one, but I know this happed to a string of pharmacy stores who transmitted via rooftop sats. Not only did they get credit card info, they got a lot of Medicare/Medicaid info and used it to file false claims.

FGTB

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 07:22:19 pm »
Did you buy something at Target, between Thanksgiving and Christmas? Their entire card reader system was hacked.
They said something about 4 million (?!) cards being compromised. (I didn't realize that that many people shopped at Target.)

But it could have happened any place. Our card was compromised by the Mexican restaurant where we used to go.

Fiero GTB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 09:13:18 pm »
Did you buy something at Target, between Thanksgiving and Christmas? Their entire card reader system was hacked.
They said something about 4 million (?!) cards being compromised. (I didn't realize that that many people shopped at Target.)

But it could have happened any place. Our card was compromised by the Mexican restaurant where we used to go.

Nope, we have a Target card we use there; don't think I've ever used my debit card at Target.

FGTB