Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: needed: ROAD TRACK  (Read 16236 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
needed: ROAD TRACK
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:01:18 am »
I would like to run my little commuter car on a road track....but I'm having trouble finding one around Augusta that is not oval;)  there is a run-down one here, but it's not open to the public.  anyone have any legal ideas?
I'm too much of a pansie to run the public streets like i want and i need some kind of outlet soon...or I'm afraid i might have to take out my frustration on an unsuspecting Miata-driver at a light.......
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fiero GTB

• I don't drive much, but when I do I drive my Fiero
    • View Profile
Re: needed: ROAD TRACK
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:48:38 pm »
Road Atlanta and the newer Atlanta Motorsports Park both are great, but can be pricey if you don't go with a car club group for an open track day.

The GFC has done this at Road Atlanta several times, and it's a blast!

FGTB

For some reason, I can't get the Insert Link button to work, but you can cut and paste these URLs:

www.RoadAtlanta.com

www.AtlantaMotorsportsPark.com

Every time my GPS says, "Your ETA is...,"
   I hear, "Your Time to Beat is..."

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 01:58:25 pm »
As said, Road Atlanta and Gresham Motorsports Park.  Road Atlanta in Braselton and Gresham in Dawsonville.  Aside from the 65 MPH paced laps that can be done on most any race day, the Atlanta Regional SCCA offers a Professional Driving Experience (PDX) that will allow you to put your Fiero to it's limits. 

The paced laps cost about $20 and there's no passing.  The PDX doesn't have a pace car, you have a professional driver riding with you to teach you about braking, track line and how to take curves.  You can actually get your SCCA license via the PDX.  Last one I did cost about $150.  It gives you 20 minutes in the first session, then you're critiqued by the instructor and the track crew.  Then you go back out for another 20 minutes to practice what you've learned and try to put it to use.  There are some strict rules but they help to make you a better driver.  Though max speed is supposed to be 95 mph, there is no radar detection.  My GPS said I maxed out at 105 in my 87.  The PDX event is offered 3 or 4 times a year.   Next one is May 17.  See Schedule   http://www.atlantascca.org/schedules/arscca.html

PDX's are conducted at other courses, too.  I don't know if Roebling Road http://www.roeblingroad.com/ near Savannah offers it, but that track is very expensive.  The new Gresham Motorsports Park in Dawsonville is a more challenging track than Road Atlanta with more elevation changes and more challenging curves.  In August I spoke with the track manager and he invited the club to come up for a go around the track. 

We will also be doing a re-run of Run For The Hills 17 in the upcoming months.  This is on public roads, but you can drive at a pace you feel comfortable with.  We have some rules governing that, too.  You're running in a line of similar cars, so you essentially have instructors all around you.  Trying to follow the ques of a Porsche on a track can get you into trouble.  Following a Fiero can show you the way. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:43:56 pm »
We will also be doing a re-run of Run For The Hills 17 in the upcoming months.  This is on public roads, but you can drive at a pace you feel comfortable with.  We have some rules governing that, too.  You're running in a line of similar cars, so you essentially have instructors all around you.  Trying to follow the ques of a Porsche on a track can get you into trouble.  Following a Fiero can show you the way.

During RFTH 17, it rained, so we HAVE to do a re-run, just to see how it could have been. We had Solstices and Skys on a previous run, and left them behind, so that should let you know how we run.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

PRND3L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:37:25 pm »
This weekend (Feb 1 and Feb 2) the Buccaneer SCCA region is kicking off the 2014 AutoX season. Feb 1 is a Test/Tune day; Feb 2 is the first race of the season. Located at Hutchinson Island. there is a fee to partake, but its pretty reasonable. There is another weekend coming up with whats called a Novice school March 1 and another race March 2.

More information can be found here: http://buccaneerregion.org/soloevents.html
1986 Pontiac Fiero 2M4 - The Racecar
2003 Subaru WRX - Daily Driver/AutoX
Georgia Southern University Eagle Motorsports - Formula/Baja SAE
www.geogiasouthern.edu/racing

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 08:15:16 pm »
thanks prnd3l.  the snow/ice jacked up my work schedule, so this weekend's out....but i have been looking and see a beginner's class and track day next weekend close to Charleston.  I'm currently in the process of making excuses to myself to get out of my self challenge.  my latest excuse is that my rear suspension isn't ready...but then again, it never is.....

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 07:40:40 am »
i had every intention of making the track day down south of Atlanta last feb. would anyone hate me if i ran solo in south Carolina? their solo track days are much closer to Augusta....that would make it easier to tow my car home :)
Ron