Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: The Warrior Project  (Read 70049 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: The Warrior Project
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2015, 05:01:25 pm »

Spoke with Cushman's Paint & Body in Evans on my way home.  The boss wasn't in so I left a card and the story with his secretary.  I'll let y'all know when I hear back.  I'll try another place tomorrow.

Shouldn't the car be ready-to-go mechanically before the paint job?

Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2015, 05:32:10 pm »
Yes, it should.  Whoever you speak to, let them know that there's no body work to be done on the car.  All the body panels are good.  I have a paint color code. 

Can anyone locate a 1/4 NPT brass plug to go in one end of a T fitting?  I have another fix for the water in the oil pressure sender problem.  I was looking for a 90 degree fitting but can't find one so I bought a T.  I need to plug one end of the T once it's screwed into the line.  The sending unit will lay horizontally. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2015, 06:26:07 pm »
Try the plumbing section at Home Depot. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2015, 07:42:34 pm »
They didn't even have a brass T or 90 degree fitting with 1/4 NPT. 

I forgot to post the paint information.  It's a Silver for a 2001 Mercedes Benz AMG series car.  A very bright silver with extra fine metallic.  It gives a much smoother metallic finish with less chance of clouding.  Even if it's a single shot urethane, it should hold up for many a year. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2015, 09:01:20 pm »

Would the Club be upset if someone offered to paint it black, or red, or white, or blue instead of silver; if it's the right price? 

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2015, 03:48:59 pm »

Tried Kendrick P&B on the way home from work. 
Gave them the story and the card.  Said they'll forward the information to the person who makes such decisions.

Good thing you gave me a bunch of cards Charlie!

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2015, 05:05:50 pm »

Would the Club be upset if someone offered to paint it black, or red, or white, or blue instead of silver; if it's the right price?

It wouldn't bother me. I think anything "professional" would look better than what's on the car now.
My only concern is that the car used to be Medium Red (aka "maroon")
Since we're getting this paint job "donated" or at least "cheap", I can't imagine that any prep will be done beyond sanding the existing paint to provide a smooth surface. That will be three different colors. Two of which (the silver and whatever is sprayed over it) may be fairly thick and prone to cracking if the bumpers are even tapped.

This is just an observation. It may not even be a correct one. Just food for thought.

I also wouldn't recommend black, just because it shows everything. Dirt. Flaws. Everything.
I've always been partial to white cars, but that's just me. Most people prefer something less "reserved".

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2015, 05:43:14 pm »
Changing colors does require a bit more work.  The current silver over maroon is evident in the areas around the windshield, drip rails and edges of each panel where the maroon shows. 

I was suggesting the MB Silver because it's a nice color and in line with the existing color.  Jeep also has a very similar color.  Having an American name attached to the paint might be cheaper than having a German luxury car name attached.  Whatever the color choice, it will need to be masked, and a good coat of primer applied prior to painting. 

I personally wouldn't mind white and might be pretty easy to paint.  Chrysler/Dodge has a color known as Bright White that's a good clean color without the yellow tint.  My Dakota was that color and held up well for the 17 years I had it.  Still looked new.  It might also be of benefit in the sunnier, warmer climes of Mid-Georgia. 

Even if it's a donated paint job, I don't think we want an Earl Scheib type job. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2015, 12:40:36 pm »
I found a brass plug for the T.  I still would prefer to have a 90 degree brass fitting with male on one end and female on the other.  If anyone can find them, get a couple or 4 of them.  Post here so we don't end up with a dozen of them.  I'll take at least two of them. 

I also have a front cowl cover that's not cracked.  A little buckled, but better than the one we took off.  The only thing we'll need to get are some umbrella push fasteners and 4 stainless screws to replace the 4 rusted ones we removed. 

Paul, if you want, I can send you a file of the Warrior Project press release we did.  Print it and hand it over, or give them a link to this thread. 

I have some Hot Shot Carpet Cleaner that ScottB provided so we can clean the door panels.  I also have the Vinyl spray in the 88 colors if we need to re-dye the dash. 

If anyone has a ball joint splitter, bring it along.  We will need it to replace the front springs.  Several jacks would also be beneficial.  Something low profile like RonS brought last time.  I think a second person had one, so if you're coming, please bring that jack. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2015, 12:32:35 pm »
Some information brought over from another thread:

Let's try to be there around 10AM.  The day's supposed to be in the mid to high 80's, so if anyone has any 20 inch fans and power cords, bring them along. 

Raydar has a low profile jack and I believe some others said they have one, too.  Bring it.  I'll be bringing a floor jack and 2 jack stands and a Torx bit for removing brake calipers.  Raydar also has the Rodney Dickman ball joint separator tool for the front ball joints and I believe Pat has one, too.  We may still need the pickle fork style for tire rods so if anyone has one of those, bring it.  Hammers will probably be needed.  Large wrenches if you have them. 

We need to rework the oil pressure sender and I'll bring a couple of ash tray doors to replace the broken one.  If Ron hasn't already installed it, we need to put in the hub centric ring in the left front wheel. 

Anything else anyone can think of that I've missed?

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2015, 05:40:34 pm »

You asked...
Feel free to add more items.

1.   Replace springs and/or tires
2.   Driver's door handle has a spring(?) hanging down.  Doesn't give me the warm fuzzies regarding its longevity.  Be very embarrassing if the vet can't open the door.
3.   One of the backup lights is out
4.   Paint
5.   Re-install wipers
6.   Re-install molding around wipers
7.   Temp gauge never moved during the short drive
8.   Clean interior door panels   
9.   The oil sender needs removed, threads chased clean and straight, then reinstalled.
10.   A big goop of dielectric grease needs to be put into the top of the sender, just for extra security against water shorting it.  So bring some dielectric grease!
11.   A hub centric ring needs ordered and installed for one of the wheels.
12.   Purchase and install new wiper blades
13.   Allow engine to run long enough to activate cooling fan and temp gauge.  Purchase new temp sending unit if necessary.
14.   Change oil.  I believe we have oil in the big tote full of supplies in Ron's garage.  I brought a filter last time. 
15.   Clean engine and front compartments then treat with CD2 Engine Detailer for a good clean appearance. 
16.   I have purchased a full set of new hub centric rings.  Install 1 on the left front and place the other 3 in the vehicle. 
17.   Check the gas pedal.  It may be fine, but it felt funky when I sat in the car.
18.   Ash tray doors

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2015, 06:01:56 pm »
I forgot about the cowl trim.  I will be bringing one

Item 2.  The spring doesn't affect the opening of the door.  It only makes the door handle return to the flush position.
Item 3.  We can pick up a couple of new bulbs locally.
Item 4.  I haven't heard anything from that body shop in Evans.
Item 5.  After item 6
Item 6.  I will be bringing a replacement.
Item 8.  Will be bringing carpet cleaner. 
Item 11.  Hub centric rings have been delivered.  Just need to be installed.
Item 12.  Purchase locally.
Item 15.  Engine and front compartment will have to be degreased and dried before application of CD2.  As Paul Angel suggested, maybe wait until after car is painted before applying CD2.
Item 18.  I will bring ash tray doors and springs.

Pat, bring the club Debit Card.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2015, 06:37:37 pm »
We may still need the pickle fork style for tire rods so if anyone has one of those, bring it.  Hammers will probably be needed.  Large wrenches if you have them. 

Bring the pickle fork if you want. I'll bring a pitman arm puller, too. It's what I use to pop my tierod ends.
I really hope there's air. An impact wrench makes it SO much easier. :D

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2015, 02:21:57 pm »
My air compressor is there. I will bring an air hose and an impact gun. ( I should be there about 12). The compressor should plug into the dryer outlet. If not, I have an extension cord.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2015, 07:49:24 pm »
I also have an air wrench, air chisel, and some impact sockets.  I can bring them along, too. 

I also finally found some 90 degree brass 1/4 x 1/4 male/female fittings for the oil pressure sending unit.  I ordered them 2 day delivery and hope to have them by Friday.