Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 1227730 ECM Step-by-step Conversion (with DIS)  (Read 24319 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: 1227730 ECM Step-by-step Conversion (with DIS)
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 08:59:01 am »
The Fiero community can use someone who can do this locally.  If you get this worked out, maybe you'll consider offering the upgrade service?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 09:42:58 am »
The serial data is the one that provides data to the ALDL and the diagnostics test input is the one that when papercliped, puts everything into diagnostics modes. I only have a question about the light, which works on yours, so that's answered, but what about data?  Are you able to pull down data from the 7730?
Keep in mind, these are questions I'm asking before I've installed everything.....  so I'm probably jumping the gun.

The ac appears to be stand alone, but the 7730 needs to see when the compressor cycles to raise the idle via c9?  Or is that d12?

Ron

What your touching on is probably my biggest challenge at the moment and your question might help solve the problem. Since doing 7730 conversion I have never had any success with getting my laptop to successfully communicate with the ECM using TunerPro. I've double checked wiring from the ECM to the ALDL plug and it all looks correct based on the pin-outs I have. I've always chalked it up to my lack of knowledge of setting up the proper BIN and ADX files. I always figured that so many others had done the same swap without any problems that it couldn't be a pinning issue. The last time I attempted to try TunerPro was last summer and I was finally able to see some readings but it was all garbled. For example the tach readings were all over the place even when the ignition was off. It could still be a setup issue I have with TunerPro, an incompatible ALDL cable, bad ECM or needing to re-pin the ECM with your information. It's to cold and we have to much snow at the moment but once it warms up I'll look into it some more.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 11:56:36 am »
Won't winaldl work too?  I think i thought i saw the 7730 in the calibration drop down menu. I haven't tried it yet, though.
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 12:11:40 pm »
Roger... I've got the install file. Shoot me your email.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 09:27:58 pm »
Oops. Mindspring addy is dead.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 09:41:18 pm »
Sent it. Go ahead and delete your address, above, before the spambots find you.

WV Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 06:02:09 pm »
Watching and waiting to see how this turns out. Thanks for letting me know Ron.
'88 Fiero Formula 2.8L v6

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 08:07:17 am »

What your touching on is probably my biggest challenge at the moment and your question might help solve the problem. Since doing 7730 conversion I have never had any success with getting my laptop to successfully communicate with the ECM using TunerPro. I've double checked wiring from the ECM to the ALDL plug and it all looks correct based on the pin-outs I have. I've always chalked it up to my lack of knowledge of setting up the proper BIN and ADX files. I always figured that so many others had done the same swap without any problems that it couldn't be a pinning issue. The last time I attempted to try TunerPro was last summer and I was finally able to see some readings but it was all garbled. For example the tach readings were all over the place even when the ignition was off. It could still be a setup issue I have with TunerPro, an incompatible ALDL cable, bad ECM or needing to re-pin the ECM with your information. It's to cold and we have to much snow at the moment but once it warms up I'll look into it some more.

I've been doing a lot of research on this topic, and my search had lead me to believe the problems with pulling data from the 7730 are switching-method related.
I don't know which cable you're using, but it seems that the "two transistor" type doesn't work well with some laptops. The "Max232" ic controller type seems to work properly with all types.
The data stream is not a stream at all.  Opposite of the older, 160 baud data stream, the 81xx data is in packets and travels back and forth up and down the line, so in effect, instead of just "reading" data, you're trying to "communicate" with the ecm.
I hope this helps.
I haven't built my cable for the 7730 yet, but plan on just adding the second transistor to my existing one-switch setup and try it first, then build the Max232 rig if the other doesn't work.
Ron

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 10:07:34 am »
I found this cable solution and works beautifully!

Max232 ttl usb interface. 9bucks on eBay, install driver, then break out ground pin to ALDL ground, then combine the tx and rx pins together and plug other end into ALDL data. That's it!

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 10:13:33 am »
Update on Repinning:
I followed the Darth printout exactly and everything works perfectly. I feel guilty for questioning it!  The only thing I've got a beef with is the shift lamp. Even with a specific tune for my trans, it still illuminates in top gear. That will either get corrected, or unplugged ;)  ....problem solved.. buwahaha

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 10:40:00 am »
Shift light problem solved!  No, not by unplugging it, although that approach was SERIOUSLY considered!  That little light turns into a HUGE annoyance when its constantly staring you down, challenging you to shift one more time.....UHHGG!
I finally resolved the light, and the motor runs better just by changing the .bin file on the chip. There's a formula to use to calculate your n/v ratio for each gear. Once the results are entered into the .bin, the other dependent tables and scalers can then pull from it and calculate accordingly.

N/v=(gear ratio x 336)/tire diameter

Example: m17 4 speed
 First 1.95 and a final of 3.65 and stock 14 inch 215/60/14
N/v=([3.31×3.65]×336)/24.2
N/v=168 for first gear

Any questions?  :o

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2015, 10:46:56 am »
Did you post on Pennock's that it actually made the car drive better? Or did I hallucinate that? (That's always a possibility.)
If so, that surprises me. I always figured that those calculations only affected the shift light.
Good info!

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 12:24:10 pm »
I think i did. I've been digging in the $88 and there are highway mode calc, torque tables and the like that are dependent on an accurate n/v #.  It's HIGHLY dependent for automatics.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 10:59:22 pm »
Just an update about correct nv ratios:
No, it wasn't my imagination about the motor handling different. Not only shift light, but also spark advance is ramped up at differing rates, based on what gear the calculation is for and throttle change rate.  It's so complicated that it's voodoo. 
It's labeled as rpm derivative spark in $88 and $A1.
If you're a perfectionist like me and want to squeeze every ounce of performance out of your tune, calculate and enter the correct nv ratios for your rig!
Ron