Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: cat delete and glass pack question  (Read 15112 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
cat delete and glass pack question
« on: September 15, 2014, 04:19:28 pm »
I've gone over to the dark side and cut out a certain part of my exhaust, with every intention to delete it.....not because i don't believe in the benefits of clean air, but because I'm more interested in the sound of the exhaust. Yes, I'm a selfish, bad person, and a dirty-rotten s.o.b.....but i knew that already....
But what i don't know is, what should i expect from this mod?  I've chosen a Magnaflow 18x3.5" body glass pack to run in line with the factory muffler....
Had anyone else chosen this path and what are your experiences?
I feel so dirty....but I'm not turning back.....maybe..
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: cat delete and glass pack question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 05:10:11 pm »
I know nothing about the particular muffler, but being that close to the engine may cause it to burn out quicker than if it were further down line.  Some variations on the theme are to gut that front portion and reinstall it or replace it with an 'off-road' pipe like you might use in your autocrossing. 

I think Paul made some deletions on the same theme.  Personally, I like the sound of that mod.  I've done it to my 87 and I think it sounds closer to a V8 when at idle.  My brother just got one of my low-mileage stock systems and made the same mod and his car sounds much better, too.  With the gutted front component, that might create an even lower tone to the exhaust. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:59:41 pm »
You can have your sound and clean air if you replace your cat with a modern high-flow cat, such as Rodney Dickman sells.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 10:24:01 pm »
I have a Rodney cat if you're interested. It got retired when I had a different system (also with a cat) constructed.
In your case, I would probably just install one of the Fiero Store's "test pipes", since your car is no longer being tested. 

*Having said all that... I'll go ahead and mention that I hate being on a run and following a car that has had the cat removed. My eyes burn the whole time. But I can't really cast stones, since I've done the same thing from time to time.

YMMV.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 04:52:46 pm »
I did it. ....and the exhaust stinks!  Whoa!....but only when rich, so once it warms up, its not bad at all. Revs are much faster and higher. Sound is only a hair louder at idle and a little deeper under load. That proves that the original exhaust was a kick butt design and is difficult to improve on without big dollars.
I'm embarrassed by the smell a little....we'll see if i get used to it.
Ron

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 12:29:35 pm »
Just an update:
I wasn't happy with the sound in the beginning, and didn't care for the stank, but since then, I've got the a/f mixture under control, so the stank is now just a power stink ;) 
I also didn't care for the sound, but as it turns out, i did a total hack job on the glass pack install and had leaks all over around the clamps. Problem solved with a 20$ patch job at the exhaust shop and now I'm hitting redline between the lights with a HUGE smile on my face.
Ron