Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Outer window seal  (Read 20437 times)

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
Re: Outer window seal
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 12:13:53 pm »
I've actually seen those videos on replacing the dew wipes. Those videos actually introduced me to Rodney Dickman's tool which I ended up buying. There were a couple things that I wanted to improve on from those videos. 1) I wanted to show the process more as steps because in his video I had to watch all 8 videos to see how it was done and most of the video was watching him work while others chatted away. 2) I wanted to explain what I was doing so others can follow along better and 3) I wanted to address possible questions that I didn't have answered when I watched his video. For example; after watching his video and seeing him having to cut away the old rubber from the dew wipe so that Rodney's tool will reach the screw I wondered how are you going to put those screws back in without cutting the new dew wipe. Also, had I known ahead of time that those inner brushes wouldn't come out I wouldn't have bought them. His videos definitely helped me but I wanted to take it to the next level with my own spin on removal 8)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 12:50:36 pm »
Yes, that was an impromptu video and wasn't planned.  Though I had planned the tech session at the meeting, there were no plans for the video.  TopNotch just decided to video at the last moment, with his phone, I believe. 

The reason for cutting away the old dew wipe is because it's usually brittle and broken and of no use.  It makes access to those little screws much easier.  The new dew wipe is soft and supple and will allow you to get your fingers and dew wipe tool in there to replace the screws. 

Usually the inner felt pads are good since they aren't exposed to the rain and dirt that the outer pads encounter.  Unless they are scratching the inside of the window, I really see no need for replacement..  The inner seal is essentially to keep out noise and any air that might be forced into the door through drains, door handles and trim pieces. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 01:38:32 pm »
Yes, that was an impromptu video and wasn't planned.  Though I had planned the tech session at the meeting, there were no plans for the video.  TopNotch just decided to video at the last moment, with his phone, I believe. 

The reason for cutting away the old dew wipe is because it's usually brittle and broken and of no use.  It makes access to those little screws much easier.  The new dew wipe is soft and supple and will allow you to get your fingers and dew wipe tool in there to replace the screws. 

Usually the inner felt pads are good since they aren't exposed to the rain and dirt that the outer pads encounter.  Unless they are scratching the inside of the window, I really see no need for replacement..  The inner seal is essentially to keep out noise and any air that might be forced into the door through drains, door handles and trim pieces.

Wait so was that you in the video? It was helpful for me so I'm glad the impromptu video made it online. Without it I may have just skipped the dew wipe replacement when doing my FieroStore door speaker conversion.

I actually tried using the Rodney Dickman tool without cutting away the old rubber and came to the same conclusion. The old hardened rubber wasn't allowing me to get to the screws until I cut it away but after installing the new dew wipe it is soft enough to still allow access to the screws. It wasn't until I actually did the swap that I gained that knowledge so I thought it would be something that I would share in my version of the video to anyone looking to fix their dew wipes.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 02:05:54 pm »
Yep, It Be Me.  I usually use wood wedges of the kind you get at the building supply for squaring up case windows and doors before you nail them in.  You can use them to put pressure against the tool when trying to break the screws loose, and also for holding the window away from your fingers while you replace the screws.  Always put some never-seize on the screws when you replace them. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 06:11:33 pm »
Well it's now good to have a face to go along with the name ;) i like the wood idea as a wedge. I use my finger because they're skinny enough. I also use a magnetic pointer to catch the screws as they come out 8)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 09:32:09 pm »
There are a few other faces in our Members tab at the left.  Raydar, ron768 and ron768 1/2 (his wife) and me.

The skinny legs in the shorts just before I start to cut away the old wipe belong to Aerodonamic,   At the beginning of video 3 is CowsPatoot in the black Tshirt and Aerodonamic again.  Then the owner of the car in the black Pigeon Forge Tshirt is former member Jerry Thayer.  I forgot his username. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:55:37 pm by Fierofool »

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 10:26:37 pm »
So I finally got some time today to finish the outer dew wipe. I am left with one question. The Windows seem slower as if they are under pressure from the new brushes on the dew wipes. I bought them from the Fiero Store. Has anyone else had a similar issue? I did etch around the inner brushes and put them back exactly so it's not them. Any one have any problems like that ?

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 02:42:30 am »
My Windows went up and down painfully slow after the dew wipe replacement. I gained a lot of window speed again by lubing up the window guides with wd40 and lubing up the window regulator.  Adjust the blocks at the top of the door properly (i had mine pushing to hard against the glass) 
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 02:02:02 pm »
I actually lubed up my window and power door locks with a nice bike chain lube and that seems to have worked really well. For the first time in years I can lock and unlock my door by pushing the button once ;) The lube helped the windows move a little better but was still a bit slow about mid way down so I rolled the windows up and took a flat head screwdriver and carefully pressed down and back on the window brushes to bend them back slightly. When I rolled the windows down they worked smoothly and the window guides still always maintains contact with the windows. Just have to be careful of how far you bend them. Didn't really take much at all to free up the window. Seems all good now  8)

LostNotForgotton

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 09:33:05 am »
Well I decided to crack the whip and finish my dew wipe video. Hopefully someone will find it useful. I think it turned out pretty well at showing the process step-by-step.

Also wrapped up a rear sway bar install video. Now I just gotta finished editing my battery relocation, FieroStore door speaker panel and HUD (heads-up display) videos. Then I think I might be caught up. Just bought a 3800 engine and I'd like to make computer space to do a video log of that build  8)

WV Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2015, 02:11:43 pm »
Just installed inner window seal. It isn't an exact matching replacement seal, but it does work. The part number is JCW-369355. I got it from JC Whitney. I had to cut the bottom tabs off of it and cut to size. I used a dremel tool and installed. Works good.
'88 Fiero Formula 2.8L v6