Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 7730 conversion on stock 2.8  (Read 20528 times)

f85gtron

• View Profile
7730 conversion on stock 2.8
« on: March 17, 2015, 09:04:50 am »
Ok. Project started. I've got:
Complete wiring harness
Upgraded alternator
New starter (while I'm in there.....)

A couple stumbling blocks so far:
I found out AFTER the fact that it is MUCH easier to just repin the installed harness. I've purchased a repinned harness from a Pennocks member and went through it. I thought, "hey, piece of cake!"....accept, it's not. Removing the old harness and installing the new is more than just unplugging and plugging, I've had to remove the intake and middle intake to get the harness out and in, the 7730 mounting will be the next step. I would recommend just Repinning the existing harness!  Live and learn.....
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: 7730 conversion on stock 2.8
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 12:22:03 pm »
Some say it's easier to just drop the cradle then you can sit down on your mechanic's stool and have everything easily accessible to incorporate the new harness into the old one.  Hope you can get it done in time for the parade.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 02:56:54 am »
It will be done. I've got the new harness in and started plugging up. The old alternator is already out, so i just need to install the new one. I'm over the hump.
Dropping the cradle would be alright, but by the time you've disconnected your coolant, fuel, brakes, cradle, i would say that, even using the swear indicator, snaking is easier, but the best alternative is Repinning.
I'm not complainin'........I'm just sayin'........
Ron

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:28:16 am »
Last night, got the starter installed, alternator installed, everything plugged up. Plugged up the ecm and jumped the aldl connector......good cel light and diagnostics mode. 3 twelves.
I heard the fuel pump relay click.
Something different about diagnostics mode on this one.....The radiator fan runs when on. Neat!
I'll finish it up tonight and drive it.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 01:05:49 pm »
Something different about diagnostics mode on this one.....The radiator fan runs when on. Neat!

That happens with the 88 duke Fiero (DIS ignition) also.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 10:17:33 pm »
Buttoned almost everything up tonight. Small setback though., the fuel pump relay clicked, but didn't close the circuit. Problem solved with a different relay.
Cranked it up, fired once, died. Fired again, died. Third time, i blipped the throttle and this time it held an incredibly smooth idle. Sounds different as well.
I only ran it for a minute because i need to double check and make sure the harness isn't making contact with anything. Waiting for daylight.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 06:43:46 am »
Woke up early and finished buttoning everything up. Runs, drives good Around the block. I'll drive it into town in a little bit and see what's what. No shift light, though. It comes on with key on, with the rest of the lights, but won't indicate upshift.  So far, if that's all the gremlins, I'm marking this one down as a success!

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 08:49:08 am »
Congratulations.  How does it compare so far to the old ECM? 

I don't think the later cars had the shift light, or the 7730 might have been from an automatic.  If the function is there, it may be turned off. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 10:30:21 pm »
Drove to work good. Drove to soccer practice and it started to die at stops and hunting. Code 34.  I have a backup map, so I'll throw it on in the morning.
The seller said the ecm was setup on a 4speed , but i think it was a 5speed because the shift light started coming on, but it also illuminates in my top gear, which is fourth.
I'll get through the parade then get sinister to do burn a new chip.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 05:16:24 pm »
Drove to the parade and back. Accelerates and cruises great, idles like crap. Was i supposed to swap the calpak from the original ecm over to this one? 
Ron

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 05:28:27 pm »
The 7730 as it comes from the donor car is all you need, other than tuned for your specific application.  What are the symptoms of running like crap?  Misfire?  Rich exhaust?  Skipping? Hunt idle? 

I wanted to see your install while we were in Dublin, but forgot all about it. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 08:02:31 pm »
If it was not tuned, I'm surprised that it runs as decently as you say.
The 7730 is not optimized for the stock Fiero injectors. (If I overlooked something in the previous posts, my apologies...)
I would be inclined to replace them with a set of disc (multec) injectors. Seems like they came in everything EXCEPT the Fiero.
THEN it should be tuned.

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 09:01:03 pm »
I bought it off a Pennocks member. It has a sinister chip in it that was tuned to a 3.4 .  I'm sure that's where the problem lies. But Ryan from sinister said the original owner's tune may not be too far from what i need, so he recommended to run it and see what happens. Well, now I've seen what happens, so I'm going to see if Ryan can do a fresh chip.

Idling like crap = several hunting (oscillating) idle....to the point of quitting.  It starts right back up immediately.

Hard to believe, but i haven't hooked to the aldl yet to see what it's doing exactly. So busy at work this week. 

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 09:03:28 pm »
If it was not tuned, I'm surprised that it runs as decently as you say.
The 7730 is not optimized for the stock Fiero injectors. (If I overlooked something in the previous posts, my apologies...)
I would be inclined to replace them with a set of disc (multec) injectors. Seems like they came in everything EXCEPT the Fiero.
THEN it should be tuned.

I didn't even think about the injectors.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 09:39:43 pm »
Raydar has a point that Rochester Multecs were originally used with that ECM, but it can also efficiently run the pintel injectors.  The problem may be that your tune is for the 17# injectors whereas they would be too rich.  Maybe a retune for 15# injectors would be in order.  The ECM may be trying to lean the mixture so it stalls, then it kicks the pulse width and it revs up again.  Since you've been in touch with Ryan about the ECM, ask him if he can tune it for the original 15# injectors before dropping the bucks for new injectors.  If you find you need new injectors, I suggest Fuel Injector Connection in Cumming, Ga.  They can provide you with what you need in a rebuilt and custom flow, and all flow matched for usually less than $150 for 6. 

Because I'm still running my stock ECM, I needed 17# pintel injectors.  They provided me with a set of 17# BMW pintels for $90.  But that was 5 years ago.