Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Club's Formula Fastback  (Read 61935 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Club's Formula Fastback
« on: October 29, 2015, 02:03:58 pm »
When we picked up the Warrior Project 88GT, we also got a Formula Fastback.  This car, as the title suggests, has had the upper rear clip removed and replaced with a fastback rear clip. 

The car was built by one of the Georgia Fiero Club's former members, Dave Belville.  Dave was a little out front on many of the things he did with Fieros.  This may have been one of the earliest conversions of a Formula. 

In addition to the conversion, the plexi quarter windows have been replaced with fiberglass panels with scoops which bring air in and across the engine vents, helping to cool the engine.  A deck lid scoop has also been installed which further helps to extract air from the engine bay. 

The information we have is that the car is supposed to have a 2.8 that is bored and stroked to achieve a 3.4 liter displacement.  It also purportedly has a higher lift cam, high ratio rocker arms and a Borla exhaust system.  There is a high volume side air intake that clearly would help to put more air into the engine when the car is moving at road speeds.  Unsightly, but effective. 

It is a 5-speed, has AC, power windows have been added, aftermarket stereo with remote control, and factory subwoofer.  It doesn't have cruise, but there's some indication that it may have at one time, judging by the wiring harnesses that are present, even though the turn signal and delay wiper stalk doesn't have the function. 

It just received a new battery this morning, and it fired up on the first try.  There is a skip in the engine, but it may be from sitting for more than 4 years.  The tilt column is loose and needs to be removed and tightened.  Interior is in pretty decent condition.  We removed the tires from the Warrior Project GT and installed them on this car. 

Present plans for this car is that it will be sold.  Club members have first option.  Outsiders get second option at a higher price.  As things get repaired/replaced, the price goes up for all.

Some pictures from the time we picked up through sometime last year.  Nothing is current as it sits now.

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Club's Formula Fastback
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 05:19:21 pm »
Today I decided to work on the Formula a little before it gets too cold.  It looks like it will need a good clutch bleed or a replacement slave, probably.  It works well if you pump it up, but the clutch goes away in a few minutes.  I did check out the gears and it moves itself in all 5 and reverse and there's no chatter. 

I also checked out the aftermarket radio/cd player with input ports and removable face, and I can say that the radio and speakers has a great sound.  The subwoofer also works and adds a pretty good kick to Rod Stewart's "Stay With Me".  The whole car would Stay With Me if Melanie would let it.  I couldn't test the remote for the radio.  I think the battery is dead in it.

I got into the engine bay and was checking out things to find out where the skip was coming from.  Pulling wires and checking continuity to see if any were broken and I found # 5 wasn't fully seated on the plug.  That's where the skip was originating.  Now it runs very smoothly.  The idle is at about 2K but the car hasn't been out driven on the street due to a steering column that's about to fall out of it.  With the high idle, I can't tell if it has a performance cam, or not, but the engine is very quiet and has good oil pressure. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 06:19:21 pm »
Too bad there are no steering columns in the "barnload o' parts" stash.  Or are there?
I have an automatic column in my manual car. Just have to remember not to turn it to "lock" if I have to shut it down in a hurry. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 06:32:31 pm »
There weren't any columns.  I kept my eyes open with the Formula in mind while we were loading things.  I did see some columns in Robbie's garage on Saturday, but didn't pay attention to how they were equipped. 

Anyone want to try repairing this one?

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 07:21:27 pm »
I kept my eyes open with the Formula in mind while we were loading things.

I should have known that.
Unfortunately, I don't have the tools or the experience, to fix those.

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 10:43:36 pm »
I fixed the column on my 91 3500. It wasn't that hard if it's just loose. If it needs replacement,,, its a little more involved.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 03:55:58 pm »
Today I took the Formula out for a little spin around the subdivision.  I have no idea what's been done to it, but it's quick.  A hard acceleration in first and second showed no signs of clutch slippage.  Brakes seem to work well, and except for the loose steering column, it seems to steer well.  The clutch needs bled before I decide to replace any hydraulics and the mostly-water coolant needs drained and new antifreeze installed before winter sets in. 

I know the quarter window side scoops are functional, but they badlyly need to be replaced to eliminate a serious blind spot.  With these issues resolved, I think this will be a very fun car to drive. 

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 08:40:28 pm »
Did the club ever decide on a price?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 10:10:22 pm »
A price had been discussed for club members as opposed to those outside the club.  As more and more gets done to it the price will probably go up.  Anyone interested should talk with TopNotch or Ron768. 

Right now, the only thing I know that's wrong with it is the clutch hydraulics and the loose steering column.  It's been converted to R134a but I haven't checked to see if the system works.  I believe when we first got it, it still had a charge in the system. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 09:24:05 pm »
I spoke with Dave today.  He was the builder of the Formula.  Lots of mods.  More than I could remember specifics about but this isn't a Fiero engine.  I asked him to send us information on what he remembered about the car and what he did to it.  It may be a few days, but when we receive it, I'll condense, list and post the information. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 07:46:40 pm »
Do you have current pics?

Here it says the miss is fixed, but elsewhere I read that there may be a dirty/sticking injector.

For the steering column, is it bad, or just needs to be disassembled and have the 4 bolts tightened?

I'm curious what other details you found out.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 08:36:35 pm »
I replaced the CTS and the code went away.  I had the miss cleared but due to sitting for prolonged periods, has returned. 

The column needs to be disassembled and the usual bolts or screws Loctited and tightened.

Slave needs bled or replaced.

Headlights don't operate or illuminate.  Instrument lights don't illuminate.

Remote for stereo needs a wafer battery.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 08:39:15 pm »
Forgive my ignorance, but CTS?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 08:49:24 pm »
Coolant Temperature Sensor.  Tells the ECM the engine temp for injector control.  Usually defaults to cold when it fails, causing  a rich air-fuel ratio.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 08:52:41 pm »
Sorry.  I should've known that one.