Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Warning When Replacing Temperature Gauge Sending Unit  (Read 15343 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Warning When Replacing Temperature Gauge Sending Unit
« on: September 12, 2010, 08:28:54 am »
As many of you know, the club has a commercial account with Advance Auto Parts, available to club members.  I expect a lot of you are using that account to purchase your Fiero parts.

There's something I'd like to warn you about.  When replacing your temperature gauge sending unit, purchase it elsewhere.  The temp gauge sending unit is the one that is in the head of the V6, just below the ignition coil.

About 3 years ago, when I first got the 85 on the road, I needed to replace this sending unit.  I bought one from Advance, installed it, and it would indicate extremely high temps.  I returned it for another and got the same results.  After running tests to verify my gauge was correct and the circuit was good, I took one that I knew was working correctly from another car.  It verified my gauge and circuit was good.  I then went to either NAPA or AutoZone or AC Delco and purchased one and it worked just as it should.  

Just this past week, I've gone through the same scenario again with my 87.  I have the 2nd sending unit installed and after driving less than a mile the gauge is pegged all the way to the right.  I have heard that Ashby has had the same problems with the Advance units.  They are made by Borg Warner.  I would suggest you purchase this replacement unit at one of the other auto parts stores.  O'Reilly's also carries the Borg Warner brand, so don't go there.  
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

85GT

• View Profile
Re: Warning When Replacing Temperature Gauge Sending Unit
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:41:37 pm »
The one I replaced in my red 85 I purchased from Chevy Dealer, (same price as auto parts store) and it is a stock item....

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:11:24 pm »
I checked my records and I bought the one for the 85 at NAPA.  It's an Echlin and it works perfectly.  I've ordered one for the 87 from NAPA and it will be here tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it works.  It was about $24. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 11:04:54 pm »
Well, today I got a chance to check out the NAPA temp gauge sending unit.  I drove up to Chattanooga to pick up the tshirts and coffee mugs.  I got to the 310 mile marker on I-75 and the traffic just stopped.  All lanes.  I was listening to Neal Boortz and when they did the traffic report, they said there was an accident at mile 317.  A 7 mile, 4 lanes wide traffic jam. 

The new 3.4 had been running at 1/4 gauge all the way, but while sitting there in the traffic, it started to rise.  Since it was such a nice day, I was riding with the AC off and the windows down.  Just as the needle hit the halfway mark, I heard the fan kick on.  Right where it's supposed to.  The NAPA sending unit worked perfectly. 

I hit the Detour on the GPS and got around the traffic jam.  On the way back, they were still cleaning up.  It was a regular 18 wheeler.  It had hit the center guard rail and the cargo had ripped through the front of the trailer.  The tractor was destroyed by the guard rail and all the cases of Busch beer that came out the front.  The traffic was still backed up to Exit 312. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 08:37:18 pm »
Did your bad sender cause the gauge needle to move erratically?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 09:33:35 pm »
I don't think it did.  Been a long time, but I think it just read inaccurately. 

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 12:56:36 am »
I don't think it did.  Been a long time, but I think it just read inaccurately.
Wait. What? You do't remember? It's only been 9 years.