Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: A New Formula In Our Stall  (Read 61273 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A New Formula In Our Stall
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2017, 07:28:59 pm »
So, the front bumper of the other car is on your silver Formula.

Yes, to repair this boo-boo. Actually, the bumper, "egg crate", and bumper cover were taken from the "parts car".

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2017, 11:52:33 am »
Looks a lot better! (Both the new club car, and your silver Formula.)

Drewbdo

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2017, 09:13:39 am »
So, can a supercharger be added to a 3800 NA easily?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2017, 10:08:52 am »
I understand that the compression ratio on the SC is different from the NA, so although you could put one on, it might not perform as well as the SC version of the engine.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2017, 11:57:00 am »
Like the 84 and 85 Muncie 4-speed transmissions, they're essentially the same.  I've heard that the SC engines are a little beefier in the bottom end.  One of our former members SC'd a 3800NA.  Everything needed bolted onto it.  The engine was completed but he ran out of money before he ever got it installed.  Sold the car and engine due to demands by his girlfriend, if I remember. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2017, 02:47:08 pm »
So, we have a 88 Formula with a 3800 NA and a 4 speed auto. Its getting better and better.

1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2017, 06:11:54 pm »
And scoops.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2017, 09:01:04 pm »
It's alive... ALIVE!
Today I decided to start the process of dropping the cradle on my parts car. I disconnected everything on the top side of the engine, put it's original steering column back in, and then decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to drop the cradle where the car now sits. It sits on the part of our RV driveway that has broken off from the rest, and is now tilted towards the neighbor's yard. I could just see the cradle on my home-made cradle dolly, with casters, rolling over to the neighbors yard. So I decided that the car has to move.
So I decided to work on the club Formula for a while. First I put in that trunk lock that I had bought a while back. It works fine. Then I decoded to replace the ignition switch with the one I bought a while back.
Now I had this battery in my garage that I had replaced over a year ago, and put on a battery rejuvenator, where it's sat all this time. So I put it in the Formula, thinking that maybe I could spin the engine and circulate the oil. Turns out that the battery is as good as new. The engine spun good, with good oil pressure. So I stole a spark plug wire from my parts car and replaced the broken one. BTW, the frayed wire I found in the center console doesn't look like anything to do with the engine.
After some sputtering, the car started up and ran. It sounds like a cylinder is missing -- could be my replacement spark plug wire -- but it runs. Maybe I'll put some injector cleaner in it tomorrow and see what that does. But now, at least, I can move it if I have to.
I also had a copy made of the one door key we had, so now I have two complete sets of keys to the car.
 Oh, yeah, one strange thing about the car. The steering column is a manual transmission column. but the transmission stick is also connected. So to turn the key to the lock position, you not only have to put the car in park, but you also have to push down the lever that manual cars have.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2017, 08:39:55 pm »
More on the car... The oil in it is very clean -- like it was changed just before it was put away.
Today I put some fresh gas in it, and some injector cleaner. It had a locking gas cap on it, but you can easily remove those by drilling a hole about an inch from the center of the lock, putting something in the hole, and turning. I put a non-locking cap on it.
I bought a spark plug wire kit -- the kind where you make up your own wires, and made one for the wire that was broken. Eventually I'll replace all the wires, because these are good 8mm wires.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:56:22 pm by TopNotch »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2017, 08:44:39 pm »
The new wires are 8mm?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2017, 08:55:24 pm »
Yes, with silicone "jackets". Top notch wires from TopNotch.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2017, 08:57:28 pm »
LOL!  Pun intended, I see.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2017, 09:12:47 pm »
That's great news, Pat.  Hope you're using the club account to pay for all this stuff.  I saw that you only found 1 door key.  I put 2 door keys into the center console glove box.  Leslie gave those to me when we went up to try to retrieve it with the tow dolly. 

How easy is it to get to the injectors on that engine?  Maybe we need to eventually pull them and have FIC clean them for us.  I can see one of the fuel rails, but is the front one easily accessible?

With that coil pack sitting where it is, there may be some tracking as a result of dirt buildup that's causing the skip. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 09:16:03 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2017, 09:23:36 pm »
I bought the stuff my self. The club can pay me back later (or give me the car ;)).
I haven't checked on how easy the injectors are to get to.
I vacuumed whatever crud in the engine compartment I could get to with my shop vac.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2017, 09:30:34 pm »
Congrats!

If it's like the SC engine, the injectors are *right there*. Should come off with the fuel rail.

My fastback, that I converted to manual, still has the automatic column.
I'd probably be willing to trade if you want to put an automatic column in that car. The turn signal switch requires a little force to activate, but otherwise is fine. (It's been that way forever. I just haven't bothered with it. I even have a replacement switch that I got from Don, several years ago.)