Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: RFTH 22 Scouting Trip  (Read 18869 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: RFTH 22 Scouting Trip
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 06:09:19 pm »
We're definitely going back to that restaurant we went to tho! OUTSTANDING fare! Yum yum! (or  Yummo!)

Do tell!  What was the name of the restaurant?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 10:07:57 pm »
It was Calhoun's BBQ on the Parkway, the main drag, in Gatlinburg.  Wide variety of foods. 

Scott and I have talked about doing another scouting run for the revised second half of the run, on May 20.  It will be a little shorter day because we'll go straight to the 2nd half of the run without running the first half. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2017, 06:00:50 pm »
How do you deal with changes in the road between the scouting trip and the run?  Road destruction, slides, tar, etc?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 06:38:55 pm »
That happened on RFTH 10.  A big landslide took out part of the Blue Ridge Parkway.  We had to backtrack, adding an extra 30-something miles, but we found a much more exciting road to connect us to our Parkway exit point. 

It's easy enough to put in the next way-point on the route sheet and the GPS will keep "Recalculating" until you get back on course. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 09:10:12 pm »
This Sarurday, May 20 we will be doing a scouting/trial run on the 2nd half of the proposed route. 

Pat, Dave and I are meeting at the QT gas station on Mundy Mill Road, Exit 16, Hwy I-985.  We will depart at 9am and connect with Scott along the way.  I expect to arrive at the Ingles parking lot in Clayton and depart by 10am.  If you want to meet us at either location, post here or email us at georgiafieroclub "at" gmail "dot" com.  Any sport car is welcome to join us.  I need to know how many route sheets to bring.

A Mini Cooper, some Miatas and a Skye Redline were to join but the Mini and the Miatas have dropped out. 

If you ghave FRS radios, bring them for car to car communications.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:06:25 pm by Fierofool »

Drewbdo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2017, 12:48:51 pm »
Aw man, I have a wedding on May 20th.

July, August, and September are all pretty open (one event each of those months). Then again, it's probably too hot for many car club activities during the summer.

I've hired a couple of new guys. Hopefully, by this time next year, they will be doing solo events. Right now, I have my corporate day job during the week, plus doing most of the events for my DJ business on weekend. The new guys go along with me for training right now.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2017, 08:15:52 pm »
To make it easier, instead of meeting at the QT, just continue on up I-985 to the first traffic light at the intersection with Howard Road.  There's a RaceTrac station there.  We will meet Scott, Pat and any others there and depart about 9am.