Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Notchie to fastback conversion pros/cons  (Read 19312 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Notchie to fastback conversion pros/cons
« on: February 28, 2017, 05:52:55 pm »
I know Raydar did such a conversion.  Would you do it again?

I like the fastback look.

Cons:
Parts availability for lights and quarter windows

I understand that the lights wiring must be changed, although I'd leave it, and change the colored lenes to make it more like a Firebird.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:51:21 pm by tshark »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: Notchie to fastback conversion pros/cons
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 09:33:26 pm »
If you're converting a Formula, the tail light harness is plug and play, since the Formula and GT were the same, under the skin.
 (I used an 88 GT harness, but earlier years may work, with the exception of the blower motor wiring. I don't know if that necessitated any other changes or not.)
86 and 87 cars may be a bit more trouble, but I'm not sure. 4 cylinder cars (including the 88) may be be even more trouble, since NO 4 cylinder car ever came equipped with a fastback body.
85s are a pain, since NO 85 came with a fastback. Several circuits need to be rewired. There is also the possibility of some physical interference at the rear corners of the roof, where the fastback clip wraps around the edges. (I have seen this firsthand with an 85 GT that was converted, although I don't know if it affects all 85s or not.)
84s? Anybody's guess.

Quarter windows are not an issue, IMHO. I have had Fiero Warehouse (aka Chris Cook) windows on my car for ten years. No problem whatsoever. They are still available. Several members of our club own them.
Tail lights are another issue altogether. But there are complete replacement tail panels available from PISA, and probably other vendors, still.

Edit - Would I do it again? I've thought about it. Probably not. It's kind of a "been there done that" thing.
I actually almost bought another car that was nearly identical to mine. A Formula with a fastback clip. Had a blown up 3.4, but otherwise was nearly spotless. Was "gunmetal" instead of "blue gray" like mine. I decided to go in a different direction and get a notchie instead.
Other than that, my only issue would be with the tail lights. And that can be gotten around. Sort of.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:39:11 pm by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 10:54:55 pm »
Chris Cook is Fiero Warehouse?  News to me.

Not particularly happy with his windows.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:03:14 pm »
I like the all around looks of the Formula Fastback.  I've often wondered what a fastback would look like with bumper pad fascias.  I know there's a bit of difference with the moldings, but others have overcome that problem. 

There were some prototypes or racing group fastbacks with notchie tail lights.  Some amount of body work would need to be done to put a fastback onto a notchie and retain the notchie tail lights.  The notchback tail end isn't as wide at the top above the belt moldings as is the fastback.  When you look at the two body styles, you can see the obvious difference in the way the spoiler appears to be longer when on the notchback.  It hangs over both sides much more than it does on the fastback.  Same spoiler. 

I'm not sure about the rear wiring harness being equal.  The fastback rear clearance markers don't blink because the yellow rear light is visible when viewed from a 90 degree angle.  I don't think you can see the notch turn signal is visible from the same angle so federal regulations would mandate that the side marker flash.  I may be wrong on that, but that's my thoughts.  The front side markers flash because the front turn signal is recessed and cannot be seen from the side.  Againn, federal mandate. 

Chris Cook is ebay seller gtfiero.  Ken Hines is Fiero Warehouse, I believe.  I've done 2 sets of Chris Cook windows.  They've been out there a long time.  I was very pleased with their quality and fit.  Ken Hines is thought of as having the most accurate reproductions, though. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 11:11:48 pm »
Ken Hines apparently fell off the map, which is why TFS quit selling his windows.

I'm fairly sure the rear side markers don't blink on any stock Fiero.  I've been wrong before, though.

The PPG pace cars are fastbacks, IIRC, but have notchie tail lights.  The deck lid has a spoiler lip.  Looking at the lights from a distance, they appear to curve back at the top, but up close the lights are stock notchie.  They actually look very sharp.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 11:42:20 pm »
Yes, I think the PPG is the car I was thinking of.  The rear fascia support is different on the notchback and fastbacks, too.  Due to the wider upper quarter, the fastback is slightly longer.  The PPG fastback clip had to be a blend of the two rear clips in order to facilitate the notchback lenses. 

I ordered a set of windows from Fiero John.  They were absolutely crap.  Big chunks of trash in the black background.  The black had a very soft feel.  Not hard like I knew it should be.  It was obvious that the dot matrix and a small portion of the black background had been printed and then masked off so that the remainder of the black background could be rolled or sprayed.  There was a tape demarcation line running vertically on each window.  That large black area was what was soft and full of trash.  Additionally, one of the windows still had the wrapping with The Fiero Store sticker and part number on it.  They definitely weren't FieroWarehouse windows.  They were returned and I bought Chris Cook's windows. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 11:57:57 pm »
I saw the yellow and blue ones you see here in person:
http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/showThread.cgi?forum=1&thread=096938&style=printable

Very nice.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:59:38 pm by tshark »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 05:43:15 am »
Chris Cook is Fiero Warehouse?  News to me.

Not particularly happy with his windows.

Ken Hines is Fiero Warehouse, I believe. 

Doug Kinney is Fiero Warehouse, although the business is for sale. Sage (on Pennocks) does his fiberglass molding.
Chris Cook just made the GT quarter windows that he used to sell.
(Doug pretty much just sells the fiberglass stuff, now. It's all word of mouth. The FW web page is no longer even working.)
Mine are not perfect, but they're close. Close enough. They've been on the car for ten years, and still look like the day I installed them.

Ken Hines, I believe, used to do windows for the Fiero Store. No so much, any more, as I understand it.
There's even a thread on Pennocks about someone who sent him some money and got nothing in return.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:54:03 am by Raydar »

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 06:02:12 am »
Notchbacks rule!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 08:30:49 am »
Notchbacks are surely less expensive to buy and maintain.

I have Chris Cook quarter windows, installed by a previous owner.  The windows don't match, side to side, the curves are wrong, and there are other issues.  The colors and so forth look great.  Better than nothing.

Yes, I saw that thread on PFF.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 08:44:46 am »
Thanks for the correction.  Having never dealt with them, the similarity of names is what throws me.  Kaheens or Kahines being a name often used.  I guess logic should have told me Kahines was K(en)Hines.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 10:38:46 am »
I should probably add that if anyone still wants Fiero Warehouse pieces, the easiest way to get them is to PM "Sage" on Pennocks.
He still has his connection to Fiero Warehouse, and does nice work. He is also about 30% less expensive than Fiero Fiberglass.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 10:51:25 am »
I'm going to soon be making fastback to notchie taillight fillers. You'll have to use the center taillight section (& taillights) from a notchie, & the fastback clip, so some fiberglassing will be involved. But I did this conversion & it took a whole BUNCH of hours to hand make everything, so I decided to pull molds from the fillers to simplify the next one. Looks really sharp with the overhang over the taillights.
I also make louvered fastback sail panels, with the louvers facing back so you can see through them. Haven't sold any of them yet, though (just made the first set for my car).
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 04:52:35 pm »
Paul,  I saw the "fastback with the notchie tail lights" mod (I think) the last time we were up there. I thought it looked quite good, as far along as it was.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 07:41:49 pm »
When doing the conversion, isn't the trunk a different shape (oval, vs D)?