Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: The Quad Four Pontiac Fiero That Never Was  (Read 3108 times)

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: The Quad Four Pontiac Fiero That Never Was
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 08:24:45 pm »
Interesting. And we have been hearing about Quad 4 test mules for a long time.
The truth of the matter is that the Quad 4 was a stunning engine, for its time, but it was not well sorted.
They were loud and harsh, due to the lack of balance shafts, and they ate head gaskets like PEZ, it would seem.
But they still would have made the Fiero go like a striped ape.

To contrast, even the base non-DI 2.4 Ecotec makes 175 HP, or so, right out of the box, without any boost. (Sure, it's got its own issues, but it's light years ahead of the Quad 4.)

To go back to the technology available in the late 80s, look up "Delta 204T". It was the 2.0 Sunbird Turbo motor, made available in a few Fieros (dealer ordered). A handful of them made it into the wild.
Or check this... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050818-2-060169.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 08:42:09 pm by Raydar »

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: The Quad Four Pontiac Fiero That Never Was
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 09:28:34 pm »
Interesting. And we have been hearing about Quad 4 test mules for a long time.
The truth of the matter is that the Quad 4 was a stunning engine, for its time, but it was not well sorted.
They were loud and harsh, due to the lack of balance shafts, and they ate head gaskets like PEZ, it would seem.
But they still would have made the Fiero go like a striped ape.

To contrast, even the base non-DI 2.4 Ecotec makes 175 HP, or so, right out of the box, without any boost. (Sure, it's got its own issues, but it's light years ahead of the Quad 4.)

To go back to the technology available in the late 80s, look up "Delta 204T". It was the 2.0 Sunbird Turbo motor, made available in a few Fieros (dealer ordered). A handful of them made it into the wild.
Or check this... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20050818-2-060169.html

Had a 2.4L in my '96 Sunfire.  Lasted 150-170K miles until the head gasket blew. 

One of my Fiero Appreciation articles asked why the Sunbird 2.0L Turbo wasn't available with Fieros.  I'll check out your link.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class