Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Time change  (Read 16971 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Time change
« on: March 11, 2017, 09:29:49 pm »
Don't forget, you lose 1 hour's sleep tonight.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Time change
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:43:00 pm »
My brother is saying that when it goes back to Standard Time in November, Savings Time changes will be repealed.  Anyone else heard this?
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 09:52:09 pm »
No, but I doubt it.  I've heard a variety of reasons on why it was implemented, and certainly it isn't universal across the US.  It isn't convenient, but even changes that were made a few years ago caused lots of problems.  Imagine trying to correct all the various computerized hardware and software, if it were repealed.

I always enjoy trying to explain DST and longer/shorter days to my in-laws.  And a setting sun.  And the fact that it isn't always winter, here.

Small countries don't have time zones, and countries on the equator don't have DST.  They don't need it.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 10:03:54 pm »
Most time apparatus runs in reference to GMT or Zulu Time as the military refers to it.  Most electronic devices that receive a time signal from wherever it is, changes on signal from that source.  Software has to have the program to do that and can be changed like they did when they changed the length of time we stayed on DST.  They could just erase the code for the change.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 10:20:50 pm »
My brother is saying that when it goes back to Standard Time in November, Savings Time changes will be repealed.  Anyone else heard this?
If anything, it would be the other way around -- DST would be made permanent. It saves energy (lights are turned on later). It was done during WWII -- called "war time".

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 10:22:40 pm »
For people running Office 2003, for example, that won't happen.  Even those running Office 2013, if they don't update, will have their schedules all messed up.  Lots of firewalls won't update.

Mail servers will have delivery/receipt issues.  DNS servers will reject requests.  Cached logon credentials will expire, resulting in logons that just tell you that you must log in again.  Web site traffic will expire (TTL) before it arrives.

Unfortunately, not everything sync's to atomic time.  It's like asking what time I could be there.  It depends on what time I left here.  One of our vulnerabilities is during time changes, partly due to a programming function whereby ”random” is based off the timer that has very small values.  The specifics are technical and not important here, but it's like Christmas for hackers.

One of the problems that comes up, is that your OS may receive the update, but some of your apps may not.  Or--worse yet--they may implement it in some odd way.

Call centers have fun.  Software like Blue Pumpkin and IEX.  We used to schedule ”maintenance” and close the center during the time changes.  Management never asked, and we never volunteered why.  It gave us time for reboots, updates, swapping equipment, completing migrations, getting the software to sync, and getting online with the banks.  We never lost a credit card transaction.

I know DST was blamed on the golfers, but the energy companies and the consumers benefit from it, also.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:13:16 pm by tshark »

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkesburyhydrogen.com
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 04:42:54 am »
how does every one waking up one Hour sooner and going to bed one hour earlier , save time?
To save time you have to travel faster than the speed of light.
Light is the measurement that time is based on .
It takes about 24 Hours for the earth to to one rotation, hence one day
it takes 356.25 days for the earth to circle the sun once, hence one year.
living your life one hour ahead of people on the other half of the world is not going to change the earths rotation.
 :P
Its all a conspiracy

Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 08:05:30 am »
We change the time in March, so we were getting up after th sun rose.  Now we're getting up in the dark, turning on the lights and getting ready for the day.

In November, we're getting home during daylight hours, so we change the time, making us get home in the dark, having to turn on the lights earlier, burning them an hour longer before we retire for the night.  Mornings are still dark when most working people rise to prepare for the work day. 

I know that some of the reasons for the change was so that it would reduce power consumption, mostly for the large manufacturing companies or any large operation, even office towers, but it seems to me that dark and daylight hours are just moved to the opposite ends of the work day and the expense of electric power is transferred to the homeowner.  Ten or fifteen people can work under the light of 3 fluorescent lights, but at home, it's likely that each of those lights would be in separate rooms, maybe occupied with a couple of people each. 

Having lived in New England, whatever time scale we're on, I can tell you that it gets daylight and dark about an hour earlier up in Bangor or Millinocket, Maine than it does in Columbus or Rome, Georgia.  These are on opposite sides of the Eastern Standard Time Zone.  So, where one end is saving something, the other end is using it.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 09:01:22 am »
It's called bureaucrazy.  Changed for many people in a wide area dictated by a few people in a small area.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 09:24:19 am »
Personally, I like DST. I enjoy having that "extra" (yeah... I know) hour of sunlight in the evening. More time to do things outside.
I get up before dawn, anyway. I drive to work downtown, from the western 'burbs. Given the choice of whether to drive to work in the dark, or with the rising sun in my eyes, I'll choose the dark.
I can understand that, for people who are retired, it doesn't matter nearly as much.

Regarding the IT issues...
I work in a "glorified NOC". We watch over the mainframe, Windows servers, transport (fiber optics and microwave), network and SCADA systems. The shift to/from DST is pretty much a non-event, here. 

Y2K was a whole 'nother story.
I only had one system that tanked. Not even really mine, but I was there, so I got to fix it.
Easily repaired by a BIOS upgrade. (Copied/installed a file from a floppy disk.)
"Leap Second corrections" are fun, too.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:26:39 am by Raydar »

Drewbdo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 09:37:25 am »
My "real job" is for a manufacturing company. I have to be here 7AM-4PM. It's salary, so I have a little flexibility, but not that much (if I get here at 7:15, it's not a big deal, but I can't take off at 3:45 without asking, etc)

So, I like the DST. I don't have a garage, and now that I have a Fiero to work on ... all the time, it seems... I still have daylight when I get home, rather than working in the dark and cold in the driveway.

We're going to buy the house we currently rent, and plan to add a usable garage. Once we do that, it won't matter as much to me.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 10:29:31 am »
I once worked for a company that ran three shifts.  No change relative to daylight and dark.  On the night of time change, you left after 8 hours of physically being on the job.  The incoming shift was there to relive you. 

So, in the case of the change this past Sunday, we would come in at 11PM Saturday but instead of leaving at what would normally be 7AM on the clock, it would read 8AM.  The major problem created was parents who had children in Daycare or School. 

When we lived in Massachusetts, it was daylight enough to see clearly about 5-5:30AM during the summer, but still was getting dark around 8PM, what with the sun rising there close to an hour earlier than the example I gave for Columbus or Rome.  So, like someone described on PFF, it's like the old joke of cutting one off a blanket, sewing it onto the other end to make it longer.  Depends upon which edge of the time zone you're on as to whether you gain in the morning and lose in the evening, or lose in the morning and gain in the evening.  I guess the ideal place would be about midway between the eastern and western edges. 

I remember some of the justification for making the change was "For The Children".  Children have to get up in the dark, walk to school in the dark, wait on the bus in the dark.  So where's the problem, now?  Children are driven to school by their parents.  If they ride the school bus, they're driven 200 feet up the street to the bus stop, sit in the idling car to keep cool, warm, or dry until the bus stops 50 feet away.  I always thought it so stupid of my neighbor to drive her high school age son a distance of 150 feet from her driveway to the intersection where the bus stops, irregardless of weather conditions. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:36:58 am by Fierofool »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 11:54:32 am »
I guess I fit in that area that the evening is most advantageous to me.
I'm about 35 miles from the Central Time zone. I tell people I live in DNA. That's "Damn Near Alabama".

Strangely enough, while most of our field techs in Georgia start work at 8 AM, most of the ones in Alabama start at 7:00 or 7:30.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 05:36:42 pm »
I guess I fit in that area that the evening is most advantageous to me.
I'm about 35 miles from the Central Time zone. I tell people I live in DNA. That's "Damn Near Alabama".

Strangely enough, while most of our field techs in Georgia start work at 8 AM, most of the ones in Alabama start at 7:00 or 7:30.

In which time zone?  EST?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 05:40:16 pm »
I always thought it so stupid of my neighbor to drive her high school age son a distance of 150 feet from her driveway to the intersection where the bus stops, irregardless of weather conditions.

Tell me about it.  My obese neighbor, whose house is the 3rd from the corner, drives her son to the corner and waits for the bus, then drives back.  The bus stops less than 10 feet from her car.