Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 1984 indy  (Read 16216 times)

oldone

• View Profile
1984 indy
« on: April 20, 2017, 06:52:16 pm »
1984 indy for $500.00 4 speed what do you think?
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: 1984 indy
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:57:15 pm »
Are you looking at that one on ebay that's basically been left to rust and rot away?

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 07:27:46 pm »
where`s it at

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 07:46:23 pm »
Altamont, MO.  I see it's only up to $50, though.

For any Indy priced at $400, either you're getting a good deal, or it will cost a fortune to restore it.  I guess it's all about what you want to do with it.

My thoughts about an '84 are that you're worse off than with an '88.  Even with an Indy, there were only 2,000 made.  Of course, you can still use parts from other years.  The problem is that there is so much that is unique to the '84.  I'd rather pick up one in pristine condition (they're the cheapest of the Fieros, anyway), and have something good to start with.

This will probably get me flamed, but I considered buying one like that one on ebay, pulling all the body panels off, and putting them on a fully-optioned red '88 Formula manual, then swapping out the grey switches for the Indy's black switches.  I'm not overly fond of the interior colors on the Fiero.  I figured to get the seats recovered in red and black, so they could have the red that the Indy originally had.  Perhaps an F355 nose.  I wasn't sure how to redo the Indy decals to work with the red.  Then get Indy decklid vents from silver85sc, and install IMSA side scoops and the over the roof scoop with the strobe light, sail panels from Paul McKibben, and white centerline wheels.  The rest of the interior could get a conversion from a 1997 Firebird.  Oh, yeah, and a GT steering wheel.

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:52:49 pm »
I know most everybody hates 1984`s including indy`s . no it wasn`t on ebay.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:22:02 pm »
I don't hate them.  I'm just being realistic.  The unique wiring is an added issue.  There is just so much extra.  Look at the values chart, and that about covers it.

Some people replace the stock 1984 2.5 with a new 2.5, in an otherwise trashed Fiero.  Even though the engine was replaced, all the rusty parts were not replaced.  To each their own, but it's probably still a $600 Fiero.

Some say that Fiero owners are cheap, but if you buy a $400 part for a $10,000 vehicle--especially if the vehicle appreciates--isn't so bad.  If you buy a $400 part for a $400 vehicle, or even a $2,500 vehicle, the vehicle's value will not increase.

Whatever you figure my Fiero is worth, I try to fix everything as I come to it.  Mine isn't much to look at, but I'm trying to hold the deterioration at bay.

When someone posts their Fiero for sale, comments are sometimes taken as negative when that may not be accurate.  Sometimes, people buy a Fiero that is sold for a high price, and the buyer sees the body and believes the seller about the condition.  The buyer ends up hating Fieros, figures that if their high-priced Fiero is this bad, lower-priced Fieros must be worse.  The buyer is resentful toward the seller and themselves for falling for such a vehicle.  The Fiero gets trashed.  The Fiero community not only loses a Fiero and a potential new owner, but gains an embittered, Fiero-hater, who will then go on to bad-mouth Fieros and the Fiero community.  The seller, meanwhile, happily goes on their way after pocketing the money, often getting out of Fieros with the high-priced sale.  I really don't like seeing sellers taking advantage of buyers.  Several times, I've observed people to buy the higher-priced, but worse conditioned Fiero, thinking that the higher-priced Fiero was worth more.  Those Fieros are mostly abandoned or junked.

I have a lot of time, effort, and money into maintaining my Fiero.  On average, it's probably in slightly better condition than when I purchased it.  I'd figure the time and cost to get this Fiero into good condition, then decide if you are both able and willing to expend that time and money on this Fiero in a reasonable time before purchasing.  I know some people buy Fieros to prevent them from being junked, and that's fine, as long as the Fiero doesn't end up getting junked after setting and deteriorating more.  It really pains me that people just drive their vehicles into the ground, or park them and let them deteriorate.

There is a decent Fiero for sale near here, but not for such a low price.  Every time I had almost decided to buy it, I'd encounter something else about the '84 model that would totally turn me off.  Before I bought my first Fiero, I did a lot of research.  I'm a car guy, but the Fiero is far from what I was used to or familiar with.  From my research, I concluded that the '86 and up Fieros were the best choice.  Of course, the only way to get an Indy is to get an '84.  If you're used to the quirks of the '84s, perhaps it could be a good fit for you.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 06:48:18 pm »
So....  What did you do?  Do you have an Indy in the fold?

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 07:37:46 pm »
no indy for me --- too many haters

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 07:42:51 pm »
I'm not a hater, but I like to think things through and do things with my eyes open.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 08:51:32 pm »

This will probably get me flamed, but I considered buying one like that one on ebay, pulling all the body panels off, and putting them on a fully-optioned red '88 Formula...

I've actually thought about doing the same thing, except putting the panels on my white 88 coupe that I bought for an engine swap.
(I know of at least one other "Indy Formula", so I wouldn't be the first.)

With that said, I would be just as happy with the body from an 85 GT or 86/87 SE, or even a white fastback GT, minus the fastback clip, of course. (An aero-Formula has also been done. Was one of my favorite cars on Pennocks, for many years.)

But I don't think I'd use an Indy to do it, unless the space frame was just rusted beyond repair. But if that were the case, the rest of the car would probably be shot, too.

Regarding the "84" thing... I had an '84 Automoda convertible with an SD4, for about a year. It was fun and unique.
I also was at a complete loss, trying to fix the damned thing, since all of my Fiero experience (and spare parts stash) since '97 has been with '88s.

Edit - Dewey... I got the link you emailed to me. I wish it was closer. It looks like a clone to my coupe. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:54:42 pm by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 09:19:16 pm »
There was a trashed Indy on ebay recently.  A prime candidate to save the body panels, but everything else was a loss.

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 09:56:04 pm »
 To restore an Indy with Non original parts would be most acceptable as long as they were OEM like parts, To Clone would just be a clone. If it was one like Tha Drivers car it would be very worthwhile and then the other 1950 + It would Still be 1 of 2000 and worthy, If I had a place and cash I'd do it, Falls in that Snooty realm of values though. Like I said I maintain a Bunch of Cars And they are Factory Original But not all Have the parts they left the dealer with, but do have factory correct parts. It should be Saved