Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: How can you tell if a vehicle has been restored or not?  (Read 15166 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
How can you tell if a vehicle has been restored or not?
« on: May 01, 2017, 08:21:41 pm »
I was looking at a Fiero on ebay.  The seller claims:

THIS ABSOLUTELY MINT 1st PLACE SHOW WINNER HAS BEEN RESTORED TO PERFECTION BY THE LEADING North Carolina RESTORATION SHOP OF CLASSIC VEHICLES AND IS THE PERFECT TIME CAPSULE WITH ONLY 40,000 ORIGINAL TENDER CARED MILES. SHE IS IN LIKE NEW SHOWROOM CONDITION WITH NO IMPERFECTIONS AND WILL ONLY GO UP IN VALUE ! SHE IS COMPLETELY STOCK WITH ORIGINAL OWNERS MANUAL AND EVERYTHING WORKS AS NEW...SHE IS AS BEAUTIFUL TO LOOK AT AS SHE IS TO DRIVE ! THE FIERO's UNSTRESSED BODY PANELS WERE PAINTED IN RELATION TO EACH OTHER, OFF THE CAR. THE RIGID SHEET MOLDING COMPOUND (SMC) WITH REINFORCED REACTION INJECTION MOLDS (RRIM) UTILIZED AS BODY PANELS ARE PERFECTLY FITTED AND PAINTED AS NEW WHICH WILL NEVER RUST, DENT OR GET OLD. THE NON-CORROSIVE BODY PANELS WILL LAST A LIFETIME ! WINDSHIELD, SIDE GLASS, AND FLYING "BUTTRESSES" ARE LIKE NEW; HEADLAMP DOORS WORK , ELECTRIC WINDOWS OPERATE AS THEY SHOULD, LIGHTS AND SIGNALS WORK PERFECTLY, WIPERS & MOTORS ARE LIKE NEW, TIRES & BRAKES PERFECT!

It looks like a fairly nice Fiero with an aftermarket paint job, but not particularly nice for a 40K mile car.  If all the seller's claims are true, I would expect that the body panels (right fender) would line up, the driver's door wouldn't sag (hinge pins), the cowl wouldn't be sun-faded, the wiper arms wouldn't be missing paint, the valve covers and intake wouldn't have discoloration, the dogbone would be in better condition, those rusty bolts would have been cleaned up, the left dash corner wouldn't be worn, the interior wouldn't be warped, the trunk light would work, etc.

Of course, I'm sure that the quality of the restoration depends on the restoration place, the cost, what the owner's standards are, etc.  Perhaps the definition of "restored" is different for different people.

It's just hard for me to figure what has been restored.  It looks about typical for an unrestored vehicle with twice the reported mileage, but with an aftermarket paint job.  I really can't see anything I'd call restored.  The exhaust tips may have been replaced.  The tail lights don't appear to have been polished.

The words "absolutely mint" were used.  What is mint on this car?  The car hasn't even been detailed.  Perhaps the restoration was done many years ago.  The driver's arm rest is dirty, the steering wheel is worn, the windshield is faded, the trunk catch is rusty, the trunk carpet looks terrible, the sun visors sag, etc.  There are no pictures of the underbody, or of the front compartment, or of the trunk corners.

Of course, perhaps this Fiero was saved from the crusher, but I doubt it.

What am I missing?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:31:04 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Re: How can you tell if a vehicle has been restored or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:03:50 pm »
If it's 40K miles, it appears to have been rode hard and put away wet.
But some of it may just be crummy pictures.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 09:11:29 pm »
You don't see the restoration either, huh?

Don't get me wrong, it's still probably a nice Fiero, but mint, not to my eyes.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 09:20:44 pm »
The muncie 4 speed arrived in 84.  It's variant was used in the 85 and early 86 V6 cars then was discontinued in favor of the Getrag thru 88 in all V6 cars.

WS6 wasn't a trim package.  It had nothing to do with flying butresses, else Formulas wouldn't have had the WS6 RPO code.  It was a suspension package. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 09:25:53 pm »
Yeah, I know about WS6, although I thought all '88 GTs had it, stock, where it was an option on earlier Fieros, such as the '86 GT.

In the pictures, I can't read the shift pattern, or tell about the transmission.  No telling what the owner has done, but he/she seems to be uninformed.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 09:29:00 pm »
Trans cables say it's a 4-speed.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 09:32:36 pm »
To restore a car means to make it look like it did from the factory. That one's not an 88, and so the ground effects would have to be a different color. So no, it's not restored, just from that. But also, the engine looks dirty, and the spark plug wires are a rats nest.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 09:38:36 pm »
Unfortunately, some unsuspecting person will probably fall for this, and the reserve is probably high.  Then they'll have a bad opinion of Fieros and Fiero people.

I thought it odd that the restoration place wasn't named.  It's like those commercials that claim that Product X is better than the leading brand.  It's almost impossible to disprove.  If the restoration place was named, someone could call them to check, or do research.  There is no mention of receipts or any documentation.

Interesting.  Very interesting.

Mine isn't anything close to restored, but I have receipts for all sorts of stuff.  I have what and when for the things I've done.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 06:29:20 pm »
Well, someone bid the price up.