Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Parade lap Indy  (Read 17348 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Parade lap Indy
« on: May 07, 2017, 03:21:21 pm »
My curiosity has been excited.  What does a parade lap Indy have?  Just paperwork?  A different engine?  Stickers?  A strobe light?

Do tell.

GTXVette

• View Profile
Re: Parade lap Indy
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 03:53:44 pm »
 I Think it was Paint ,Stickers and the Snorkle was Dealer Installed, the real deal was a 4 cyl. that was hopped up,Clay young had one of the engines but after he died all was lost in a Fire at his place because of a fire Next door at ZEP mfg. They still won't Settle.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 04:20:09 pm »
They are no different than the other Indys, so, yes paperwork. In my case I have the original tag receipt from Indiana - tag # 36 (my car was # 36 of the parade lap cars). I also have the original bill of sale from the dealer in Ohio that sold the car after the race.
If I had the money I could find out what celebrity rode in my car on the parade lap - the guy at Fiero Pace cars bought all the info from a guy that worked at the speedway but it costs $150 to get that info from him.
The biggest difference is that the door decals were in the right place, whereas with the other Indys the door decals were dealer installed (if the buyer wanted them), & they may not be in the exact same location.
I've started a thread twice at PFF looking for other documented Indys, but no one ever responded with such except for two folks that said they had seen one before. So I'm not sure if there are others that are truly documented or not.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 04:22:18 pm »
How do you know a celebrity rode in your car?

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 07:05:31 pm »
As I understand it all the cars on the parade lap had a celebrity riding in them.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 07:14:30 pm »
When I read about it (Cliff notes version), it read as if the owners of the 2000 Indy's were invited to bring their cars to Indy to take a lap.  What I read seemed to imply that you drove your own car.

Your Indy was apparently sitting at a dealership, for some reason, so may be different.  For a dealership, this could only be a good idea.  A great sales and marketing tactic.

I wouldn't let some random celebrity drive my Fiero.  It'd have to be a car person, before I'd even consider it.  Then someone I respected, like Tim Allen or Jay Leno.  The last thing I'd want is some snowflake driving my Fiero (and probably wrecking it).

Besides, I'd rather drive my own car around Indy--I just wouldn't talk to the press.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 03:05:03 am »
When I read about it (Cliff notes version), it read as if the owners of the 2000 Indy's were invited to bring their cars to Indy to take a lap.  What I read seemed to imply that you drove your own car.

Your Indy was apparently sitting at a dealership, for some reason, so may be different.  For a dealership, this could only be a good idea.  A great sales and marketing tactic.

I wouldn't let some random celebrity drive my Fiero.  It'd have to be a car person, before I'd even consider it.  Then someone I respected, like Tim Allen or Jay Leno.  The last thing I'd want is some snowflake driving my Fiero (and probably wrecking it).

Besides, I'd rather drive my own car around Indy--I just wouldn't talk to the press.

That was years later. At the 1984 Indy 500 Pontiac brought three actual pace cars with built superduty 4's, & 150 "Pace car replicas" - all brand new cars straight from the factory. Each car had a driver & a celebrity passenger, perhaps the most famous (at least as far as web images go) was Miss Hurst Linda Vaughn riding on the windshield. After the race they sent the 150 cars to dealers around the country to be sold as new. After being on the track for the parade lap my car was sent to an Ohio dealership. Thus the Indiana tag # 36 & the bill of sale from the Ohio dealership.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 06:54:02 am »
I guess I'm behind on my web images.  I've never heard of this Miss Vaughn.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 07:53:39 am »
http://www.legendsofnascar.com/linda_vaughn.htm
I have the photo of her on the windshield if someone wants to post it here for me.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 08:40:58 am »
VA VA VOOM!
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 12:41:36 pm »
I'll post it, IF it's something you wouldn't mind your kids seeing.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 03:20:02 pm »
I got a hug from her and her autograph at the 1987 NHRA Finals in CA.
It was so nice to speak with someone with a Southern accent!
She IS a VERY sweet lady!
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 05:37:13 pm »
Cool!

Here's the pic of Linda Vaughn:

You never know.  Sometimes the women are only wearing their underclothes.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:44:55 pm by GTRS Fiero »

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 09:12:53 pm »
I remember her having a pair of huge tallents  ;)

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 09:29:43 pm »
    A buddy of mine, Phil Bonner Jr.and She are really close and speak regularly, But I havn't spoken to him in a year or so, His Dad was Phil Bonner " Daddy Warbucks" the drag racer.