Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: THIS makes things difficult for people like me  (Read 14692 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
THIS makes things difficult for people like me
« on: June 10, 2017, 09:07:28 am »

Heading South.  Left to go West, or...

Which way?  So difficult.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: THIS makes things difficult for people like me
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 09:23:42 am »
On this year's RFTH, at one point we will travel on 19 W South, then intersect with 19 W. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 09:37:55 am »
There is an exclusive neighborhood near here.  One block is on a dead-end street.  They didn't want a gate or have to pay for their own street maintenance, so they put up one-way and DO NOT ENTER signs at the entrance.  2 of the residents are COPs, and one owns a towing company.  Unauthorized vehicles are towed and ticketed...about 4 hours' drive away, in a bad neighborhood.  The streets are terrible near the lot, and they don't flat-bed your vehicle.  Your vehicle sits in there for at least 1 night.  The bill starts at about $2,000, and you have to settle the ticket first.

What I don't understand, is that some people have had their car towed multiple times.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 10:10:35 am »
Only the municipal or county or state street or highway departments are allowed to install signs on a public right of way.  To the best of my experience, that applies nationwide.  If the street is maintained by a government, anyone is allowed to legally park on that street.  If I were towed and knew this, I'd certainly be bringing charges in a higher court.  Not only against the towing company, but against the local court who has been issuing fines and the PD who has been writing the citations.

At one time, the streets in my subdivision were owned by the developer because he (the Mayor's Son) didn't dedicate them to the city before going bankrupt.  They weren't up to standard in their construction and drainage.  The city wouldn't do the work because the streets were privately owned and the PD wouldn't patrol because it was on private property.  We considered installing gates with keypads for entry.  But when homeowners realized that we would be saddled with the humongous cost of reconstructing the streets, we decided to go a different route.

Once our Homeowners Association brought a lawsuit against the developer, and it was disclosed to the Superior Court that he had filed bankruptcy, the court seized the streets and rights-of-way (the developer didn't list the streets as one of his assets), deeded them to the city and issued a Writ of Mandamus to the city to bring the streets up to par. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:13:38 am by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 10:19:17 am »
Normally true, but the residents there pretty much do what they want.  I think it's also illegal to tow to an undisclosed location other than the city impound yard, yet they tow to a lot they own.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 11:16:12 am »
There was a guy who, a few years ago took it upon himself to change a major hiway directional traffic sign in California, so that it would then be correct. They arrested him and charged him with criminal tampering. He proved in court that the DOT originally made the error and that they had made no response to his phone calls and letters. The charges were dropped and he filed a counter lawsuit against the DOT for damages and a retraction in the LA Times that the DOT was wrong...he won.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 11:22:11 am »
HOA's can put up signs if it is private property. But they still can't legally tow someone's vehicle unless it poses a threat i.e.; parked in front of a hydrant, blocking a driveway, blocking safe view of the road ahead etc., without first notifying with a sticker or letter attached to the vehicle that cannot be removed without some effort.
Unfortunately, most HOA's operate on the belief that they are above the law.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 01:23:55 pm »
When driving down the road, there are often road destruction signs stating that the left lane is closed, but usually the right lane is the one closed, or the opposite of whatever the sign states.

In the case of that neighborhood, the road used to make a big U.  Parking was on the left, driving on the right.  People used this street as a shortcut, going both ways, so the one way and DO NOT ENTER signs were placed.  No change, so a small dog park was built at the base of the U, thus closing off the street, or so the thought was, but people drove over the (accessible) curb, through the park.  So, barrier poles were added.  The residents refused to have reflective signs placed, and people were crashing into the barriers. Wrecked cars were difficult to remove, and blocked the street--often for days.  From then on, cars in violation have been ticketed and towed.  I suppose they could be ticketed for blocking traffic, parking in the driving lane, or any number of things.  The street was never striped differently, and the city still lists the street as 1-way.

Gated communities pay a FORTUNE for their streets.  The only good way to handle the streets is to have one of the residents actually do the street repairs, cleaning, etc.  Then there's the trash pickup issues, yard waste disposals, etc.  The other residents need to be the mayor, a councilman, the chief of police, the towing company operator, and the judge.  There is a reason we call them ”sewed up communities”.