Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: LED longevity?  (Read 14053 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
LED longevity?
« on: September 30, 2017, 09:34:43 am »
I have LED's for most of my lighting.  How long should I expect them to last?  I don't know where they were made, but I've had them for about 2 years.  I got them over a period of time.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: LED longevity?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 09:43:03 am »
If they're still good after 2 years, they should be good for the life of the car. Bad ones will go bad fairly quickly. They're typically made using surface mount technology with an aluminum backing under the circuitry for heat syncing. Bad ones actually un-mount themselves due to inadequate heat syncing. When this happens, you will notice individual elements flickering or out altogether.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:46:55 am by TopNotch »
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: LED longevity?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 10:37:08 am »
Hmmm.  That must be what happened on my kids' ATV. The tail light is a bunch of LED bulbs.  This is a chinese ATV, so quality is lacking in every respect.  Some of the LEDs quit working, after a few weeks, and now a few are starting to flicker, as well.  At first, I thought perhaps the rubber seal had leaked, but maybe not.  The ATV is about 4 months old, now.

I'm wondering about the LED's on my Fiero, because the source may dry up, so I was considering getting spares.  At one point, I was getting stuff in anticipation of having a second Fiero, but that probably won't actually happen.