Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Cruise control/blinker stalk kaferble  (Read 14370 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Cruise control/blinker stalk kaferble
« on: October 15, 2017, 12:23:15 am »
The set button on my old cruise stalk didn't set evenly in the hole, so I replaced the stalk.  Annoyingly, the new one does not sit evenly in the hole, either.

This is a TFS replacement stalk.  I should also point out that the stalk does not look stock, and doesn't really match the other controls.  It looks out of place.  The lettering is all scrunched to the end of the stalk.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Cruise control/blinker stalk kaferble
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 07:55:22 am »
You can get an original GM stalk, but there is a slight difference in the diameter of the stalk down toward the bottom end.  That same stalk was used way up into the 90's on cars like the Grand Am, the Skylark, and other vehicles.  Some of them were also in chrome.  I think they changed the design in the later years because the early ones with the thin stalk were prone to breaking.  My first 85 had the bottom end separated from the upper end.  A little super glue did the trick. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:39:00 pm »
Here is a pic of the new TFS stalk:

And the old stock stalk:

Here is the new stalk end:

And the old stalk end:

Obviously, the buttons are neither flat nor centered.

The new stalk does not feel good in function or usage, and sits as a downward angle, compared to the old stalk.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:09:37 am by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 10:26:27 pm »
The new design looks like they added some legends for the cruise and rotated that section to make the legends visible to the driver. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 10:30:34 pm »
The controls are more difficult to use.  I don't really look at the stalk while using it.  Orientation should occur before moving the vehicle.  I think the stalk came from a different application with a higher angle on the column.

How does the TFS stalk compare to the new stalks you mentioned?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 10:41:05 pm »
My new GM stalk looks exactly like the one that's installed in your column.  I've had this one since before the turn of the century.  It was actually bought for my first 85, but never got installed.  It's probably going to go into the 87 at some time. 

The Grand Am and Skylark stalk did stand up at a higher angle, maybe more like 45 degrees.  That would put the slider more in line of sight.  The Fiero column sits pretty low relative to the driver's line of vision and that might explain why the slider is clocked a little differently. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 10:49:05 pm »
Yes, due to the position of my hands while driving, I'd like the stalk to sit at a higher angle.  I always find that the stalk on the Fiero is too low for my liking.  Not that I don't sometimes have my hands lower.  I guess my other vehicles have the stalk higher, so that's what I'm used to.

Normally, I only buy vehicles which have controls that are where I need them, when I need them.  Basically, if the car doesn't fit, I don't buy it.  I got so tired of the miniature vehicles having controls that I couldn't comfortably access.  That's just bad design.  If I knew how, I'd fix this on the Fiero.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 02:53:32 pm »
I played with the new stalk a bit, comparing buttons feel and action between the old and new stalk.  The new one has a cheaper feel.  None of the labels line up.  The action is not smooth.

I do NOT recommend this product.