Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: My Misc Fiero issues  (Read 125269 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Misc Fiero issues
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 09:48:45 pm »
It seems to me that you could get headlight doors from any junk yard Fiero for the strips. A Fiero stripped of practically everything else will probably still have headlight doors. ;)
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 09:57:40 pm »
I'll have to go back to Texas.

I'll check on the other ground wire.

This guy came highly recommended, believe it or not.  Several people recommended him.

The car is home.  I believe I'm being objective about this.

The car was left outside in the weather, which destroyed much of the "nice" of the car, and hundreds of hours and $ I'd spent on it.  Here's what I believe that the car needs to fix it:
1. Ground strap, new injectors, new plugs
2. Wiring fixed
3. Bulbs put back in
4. Wiring fixed
5. Wiring fixed
6. Wiring fixed
7. Wiring fixed
8. Transmission adjusted
9. Wiring fixed
10. Grounds fixed, ECU reprogram
11. Dust shields adjusted
12. Wiring fixed
13. Valve cover gasket replaced
14. Old vacuum lines removed
15. Ground straps repaired
16. Cruise cable repaired
17. Axle boot replaced
18. Vacuum lines fixed

It also needs a lot of cosmetic work, including the power-coat on the intake done for a third time.

I'm going to treat the rust that has appeared under the battery, and on the exhaust.  I'll replace all the rusty bolts and nuts I see (basically, everything on the engine).  I'll remove the old vacuum line.  I'll fix the radio knob and the shift cover.  I've cleaned up about a trash bag of leave and other debris.  I have a bin of nuts and bolts and little round seals that have no home.  We'll see what else I can get done without the code enforcement gestapo harassing me.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:59:10 am by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 10:08:48 pm »
It seems to me that you could get headlight doors from any junk yard Fiero for the strips. A Fiero stripped of practically everything else will probably still have headlight doors. ;)

While that may be true, there first must be a Fiero in the junkyard, and second my wife would have to take off work to watch the kids.  Kids under 18 are not allowed at the junkyards, and for good reason.  My kids are basically always with me when I'm off work, and often when I am at work.  I was last able to go, back in 2014, because my wife was off and watched the kids.  Time off must be requested weeks in advance.  I don't know of any way to plan when a Fiero will arrive.

Fieros that are brought in one day are often crushed the next day.  There were several Fieros that were driven into the junkyard, and were crushed the next day.  Regardless, they are parked at the corner by the crusher, and the fronts are usually destroyed by the equipment driving over them.  You can see the Fieros from the street, because they are in the front row.  The last time I saw a Fiero there, they had picked it up with some sort of claw thing, and holes were punched into the doors, as a result.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 11:52:40 pm »
I found a ground wire for the coil pack.  I found the torn ground strap on the decklid hinge.  I didn't find any other ground straps going to the engine.  I'm not saying that there aren't any, just that I can't see or feel them from the top.  He said there are 2-3 on the block under the intake.

I did find the O2 sensor wire laying on the exhaust.  Also, there is a rubber hose from the intake that connects to nothing, although it seems to have had a clamp on it, but it was also laying on the exhaust.

While I was in there, I had the engine running, and felt exhaust leaks coming from the manifolds, the crossover, and the EGR.

The throttle cable is kinked to the point that it catches sometimes.

There is a port on the throttle body where apparently the coolant used to connect, but there is nothing on the end of it.  It just sticks out.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:52:51 am by GTRS Fiero »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 08:24:38 am »
There is a port on the throttle body where apparently the coolant used to connect, but there is nothing on the end of it.  It just sticks out.

A lot of people disconnect this coolant line. I think it is to prevent icing in the throttle body, but if you don't live up north, it's probably not needed.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 09:06:58 am »
Even people living further north have reported no issues with removing the throttle body coolant lines.  Just to dress it up, some have removed the complete fitting and inserted a brass plug into the throttle body.  It really isn't necessary as it's only a pass through to the other line and doesn't allow anything into the air intake area. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 11:18:03 am »
Dare I ask who did the work?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 06:34:59 pm »
The Fiero world is a small one.  I have to believe some of you have met this person.  I'm not going to throw him under the bus.

To put this in perspective, yes, I'm pissed, but no one takes the came care for your stuff as you do.  There are a lot of problems, yes, but they are all fixable, and I think it's close.  He is willing to fix the problems.

My problems are several.  I have to get my Fiero back to Texas for him to fix it.  I'm loathe to leave it there.  Texas isn't exactly close. Basically, 29 hours, round trip, just in drive time for me by myself.  What else may happen?  I have my kids, which makes the trip more difficult, because I can't really expect them to sit and watch car work for hours.  I can't leave them, can't really bring them.  Getting off work is difficult.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 09:10:25 pm »
Well, I plugged the hose from the intake into the transmission.  Still have a blue cloud (oil) coming out the exhaust.  I'm sure this is destroying my cat, so I don't really want to run it.  Probably not good for the muffler, either.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2017, 09:42:37 pm »
I didn't know the Fiero had a hose from the trans to the intake.  The only vacuum hose that leaves the engine are the vapor canister, the cruise, and the brake booster. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 09:47:11 pm »
Well, this hose goes from the intake near where the distributor would sit to a port on the front of the transmission, down by the O2 sensor.  This is an automatic.  I'm sure manuals are different.

It would seem that this hose being off would cause shifting issues, probably early shifts, and certainly the idle would be higher, but the air coming through that tube isn't filtered.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 09:54:06 pm »
This hose, from here:

to here:

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 10:07:24 pm »
That manifold port normally has a line that passes back underneath the intake and is part of the two line connection at the other end of the manifold near the MAP sensor.  It goes to a rubber line that attaches to the metal line on the trunk wall and is routed around the engine compartment to the fuel vapor canister.  I forgot that you have an upgraded transmission.  If that vacuum dashpot is leaking, you're probably sucking transmission fluid into the intake.  You're right that it's not good for the O-2 sensor or the catalytic converter.  That transmission vacuum line could be tapped in somewhere else so as not to eliminate the vapor purge. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 10:11:49 pm »
There was no fluid in that line.

It seems to just be engine oil that I'm burning.  Transmission fluid smells differently.

That's the vapor purge on the transmission?  Meaning that it sometimes expels fluids?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 10:18:01 pm »
It's the fuel vapor purge for a stock Fiero.  Found a diagram.  You can see how that line's supposed to run.  It's the small line marked 'to intake manifold'.