Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Cigarette lighter bezel comparison  (Read 14128 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Cigarette lighter bezel comparison
« on: October 16, 2017, 01:52:18 pm »
I can't find my BTR bezel, right now.  It's made of carbon fiber, is very light, and does not fit with the stock interior.  I'm not a fan of carbon fiber for anything but racing brakes that I don't have to pay for, but it was very lightweight.  BTR's came with screws that also didn't match the rest of the interior.

The BTR one was $80, but I believe it's no longer available.

Here's one version of the stock bezel:

I have encountered 2 versions of the stock bezel: one version has a raised ring around the screw holes in the back, and the holes are recessed in the front; the other version is flat around the screw holes.  Similarly, there are 2 different screws that are used: one has a tapered plastic spacer for the screws, and the other version basically is just the screws.

Here is one from TFS:

TFS' bezel is made of ABS and is a different texture.  The color is gloss black.  IIRC, the mounting screws are different.  It would look better if it didn't have a shiny finish.  If the texture/finish/color were changed from whatever it is to a matte flat charcoal color, with the hair whatever texture, it'd be a much nicer fit.  It could probably be painted to help it match.

Note that TFS bezel has countersunk screw holes.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:42:32 am by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Cigarette lighter bezel comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:04:53 pm »
Here is the back of the stock bezel.  Note the remains of the broken ring around the screw holes.

Here is the back of the TFS bezel:

Here is the stock bezel, as installed in my Fiero, with one version of stock screws.

Here are the provided screws for the TFS bezel:

Note that these screws do not match the other screws in the Fiero interior.  The heads are completely different, as are the screw threads.  The Fiero screw heads are obviously female torx, with the thumb twist exterior, where TFS screw heads are tapered Phillips.  I'd recommend using a black washer and the stock screws, similar to what I did.  Alternatively, you could get tapered female torx screws for the countersunk screw holes.  Get the correct thread screws.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:08:19 pm by GTRS Fiero »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Cigarette lighter bezel comparison
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 04:22:03 pm »
Here is the BTR bezel.  It's made from carbon fiber.

It seems that the screw holes are delaminating, but it was that way when it arrived, new.

As stated previously, I don't care for carbon fiber parts.  It's light and shiny, but I don't find it particularly quality.  Rather than being thicker or recessed, the screw holes are flat and look fragile.

The light spots in the bezel are actually transparent.

Notice how you can see light through them, but they aren't quite consistent.

The back is rough, and just looks unfinished.

Notice that the screw holes aren't reinforced.