Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Car cover  (Read 14738 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Car cover
« on: October 23, 2017, 07:10:27 am »
I bought a new, 5-layer Fiero car cover from ebay.  At least, that's how they sell it.  The cover is at least 1 foot too short, and has 1 layer.  So, I can cover the front fascia, OR the rear fascia, but not both.  So, I covered the front, and the rear just goes down to cover the tail lights.  I foresee a refund.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Car cover
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 09:37:12 am »
When Melanie worked for Kimberly Clark, they would sometimes offer employee specials on the different products they made.  One of those products is the Evolution Series car covers.  The only time we ever knew of them offering the Evolution at a 50% discount, we received notice too late. 

The Evolution was actually custom cut to fit the Fiero.  It had mirror pockets, a grommeted hole for the antenna, and you could order it for the notchback or fastback, either with or without the wing. 

I've been buying the Tyvek car covers because they are so strong and lightweight.  They hold up pretty good for outside use.  No car cover is going to keep the car completely dry.  It has to breathe.  Moisture rising from the ground can get trapped underneath.  Ultra-fine dust particles can work their way through the material.  If a vehicle is parked outside, it should be parked on some type of plastic shield to prevent ground moisture from rising up underneath the cover. 

This is the Evolution cover.  Still being made. 
http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/covercraft-evolution-custom-car-cover?kc=ffprod&kc=ffskupo&k_clickid=72159587-14fe-4956-a802-2a17a019f0e8&adgroupid=9839&k_trackingid=274x&kpid=10028-1012-8321235&DZID=PLA_o_73553217_4818651178_10028-1012-8321235_c&utm_source=o&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=73553217&utm_content=4818651178&utm_product=10028-1012-8321235&utm_term=1100507568937

I order the Tyvek covers from these guys.
https://www.empirecovers.com/car-covers/pontiac/fiero/1986
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:51:20 pm »
I had an evolution car cover.  It did fit well, and the front was labeled.  The first year was fine, but by the second year, it was falling apart, and dust came right through, as did water.  It basically kept the large items off.

For the Tyvek covers, they offer one for the 1989 Fiero.  Their thickest cover is not their premium cover.  I'm not sure what their premium car cover has that their thickest car cover does not have.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 06:10:20 pm »
I've never paid attention to different levels of Tyvek covers.  Over a period of time, from folding them, they get little cracks in them that will allow fine particles and water through.  I like them because they have a 5 year outdoor life and they're white which reflects heat from the car.  The inside surface has a soft texture while the outside is a more polished, slick surface.  If you have a garage or carport, this would be ideal. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 06:18:57 pm »
Do you have the one with the padded inside, for like $150, or their premium, for like $200?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 07:48:55 pm »
The Tyvek cover I have cost about $90.  Single layer.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 06:33:34 pm »
Here's the one that didn't fit:

This one might be a bit small.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 09:53:30 pm »
Rrgh!  So, I ordered from the Empirecovers people.  I chose the cover with the most stars.  The cover fits like an oversize trash bag.

One is too small, another is too large.  Maybe I was spoiled by the cover from TFS that fit like a glove--but only lasted a few years.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 05:54:29 pm »
Well, I woke this morning to what was left of this car cover.  The wind destroyed it.  Returning.  Very sad.  That was their top-of-the-line car cover, supposedly.  It unraveled or something, but the wind wasn't bad.  There really isn't any way to secure this cover, other than placing weights on the cover.  The elastic ends hold about like a cheap bottom sheet.

One of the most annoying things about this cover, was that, since the cover was very loose-fitting, the wind would blow the leaves up under the cover.  There is an inside lining that doesn't harm the paint, but leaves adhere to the lining.

I guess I'll try a different brand that is (hopefully) fitted.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 06:09:14 pm »
I now have the Evolution car cover.  Yeah, it's fitted.  The last Evolution cover I had cost about $40 less, and was marked "FRONT".  This one is grey, rather than the beige color of the last one.  I hope this one is made better.

It's a bit wrinkled, because it just came out of the box.  What a difference in fit.  Um, a bit hard to get the cover on, especially with the wind blowing.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 06:45:08 pm »
I have one of the cheaper covers.  It fits all the way to the ground.  Not custom fitted to the car, but just an average size for a number of cars.  It has a nylon eyelet about midway of each side and a cable that passes underneath the car and through them with a small lock.  Helps to hold it on in the wind. 

You have the same problem with leaves.  I have no trees to the left of my house, but all my neighbor's leaves blow over and accumulate against the garage door, and in the corner near the base of the chimney, and even at my front door.  Open the garage door and they all blow into the garage floor.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 07:00:02 pm »
I removed all my trees, years ago.  One of the trees was all in the power lines.  Permits, removal, stump grinding, etc cost me about $15K.  The neighbors were supposed to remove their trees, too.  I did; they didn't.  I used to return their leaves, and still do return all their fallen limbs.

There was a tree right against the fence on one side.  It was only 50 feet high.  A friend and I started at 7am, and had the tree down by 9am.  By 10, we loaded up the fireplace logs in his pickup, and the branches and unusable wood in my truck.  The neighbor was supposed to pay $200 for us to remove the tree, then he said he'd pay half, then he said he'd help with disposal.  He didn't do any of those things.

This cover has the eyelets and a cable, although I didn't put the cable on, yet.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 07:52:40 pm »
You will have to get the cable snug else it will only keep the cover from blowing away.

You've heard the saying "If the apple falls on your side the fence, it belongs to you".?  The same applies to limbs.  If they hang over or fall to your side the fence through an act of nature, they're yours.  I have trees that overhang my west side neighbor's fence.  He is at liberty to trim them back to the property line as long as he doesn't kill the tree.  On the east side, my Maple limbs and leaves fall in that neighbor's yard.  He throws the limbs back into my yard.  Because he's such a neighborhood problem, yelling and cursing people, I collected the limbs and blocked his access across the back of my yard to a portion of his yard.  Now he has to go to the street and around to mow that portion.