Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Coolant is HOT!  (Read 13993 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Coolant is HOT!
« on: October 28, 2017, 12:43:21 pm »
I guess I should've learned.  A mazda overheated, and I was going to help.  I opened the hood.  One of the coolant hoses looked odd, and I squeezed the hose.  The hose ruptured, and I got a squirt of hot coolant.  I turned my head, but didn't get my hand out of the way in time. It's 38 degrees here, so I cooled my hard off on the guardrail.  I removed the hose, and the hose was completely blocked.  It looked as if the hose's inner layer was blocking the flow of coolant.  I gave the woman a ride to the autoparts store, where she bought a new hose and some coolant.  When we got back to the car, we replaced the hose and filled up the coolant, and she was on her way.

This is not the first mazda I've encountered with this issue.  Last time, someone was standing behind me, and I was only able to turn partially, but couldn't move backward.  I got my hand and arm covered with hot coolant.  It was summer, and I couldn't turn the handle on the door to get to cold anything.

I've helped this lady before.  I told her it's time to get a different car--one not made by mazda.  Unfortunately, her mazda isn't paid off.  After the most recent car fire, she found out that, even in perfect condition, the mazda is worth less than what she owes, a condition called being ”upside down”.  I told her that she should pay for full coverage, and just let it burn, next time it catches on fire.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Coolant is HOT!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 12:55:35 pm »
Good for you for helping her.  What year and model Mazda? 

Full coverage insurance usually won't pay what's owed on a vehicle, or even what it would cost to buy another just like it for that matter.  You pay a premium to insure a car that they value at $3000, but let it get totaled and you might be lucky to get $1000 payout.  My insurance will only pay out $300 for either of my Fieros. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant is HOT!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 01:17:41 pm »
I don't know what year.  It's a mazda 6.  She owes $11K.  No, they won't pay it off, but it's a newer car.  Mazda never fixes anything.  There is no visible damage from the fires, which were all ”fixed” under warranty--not as insurance claims.  Personally, I don't think it was worth $11K new.

On the positive side, while it's in the shop, she gets to drive a loaner on their dime.  The loaner and the shuttle aren't mazdas, which I find amusing.  I'm also amused by the dealerships that sell one make, but their showroom has another make prominently displayed, or the vehicle on the platform under the spotlight is a different make.

She has full coverage, but a high deductible.  If the car burns, the insurance will have to pay for the loss, but the warranty will have to replace the car or value as a no-lemon.  She can cash out the value.  Together, she should get about $20K, minus the $11K she owes for the mazda.  $9K, as a down payment, plus whatever she is currently paying per month should get her a good vehicle.