Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: New casual job  (Read 34316 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: New casual job
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2017, 09:14:01 pm »
If that was it, I listened with my kids through a bunch of commercials, then Jailhouse Rock, and some talk but left with "Booty Child" or whatever that song was.

I don't often listen to radio, any more.  I guess it's been a while.

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkesburyhydrogen.com
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2017, 09:19:35 pm »
Any request....
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2017, 09:21:40 pm »
It was just a CD i had here to play
I have to play so e adds to
You mi b t have heard an add
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2017, 09:22:37 pm »
You might have heard an add
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2017, 09:41:12 pm »
Was just listening to you.  Melanie said she could understand you much better on the radio than on the phone.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2017, 10:14:40 pm »
There was a voice I guessed to be you talking slowly about yard work, it being 10 after the hour, and what to play next.  The ”Booty Child” song wasn't something for the kids.

Commercials are the reason I quit listening to the radio and watching TV.  I don't miss them.  It got to the point that it's just commercials, and I couldn't enjoy whatever I was trying to take in.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2017, 10:23:49 pm »
TEST to see if I'm listening to the right thing. 

Request---Start Me Up,  by The Rolling Stones for Melanie and Charlie in Auburn, Georgia, USA

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2017, 10:58:07 pm »
Yep, right one.

Hey, you know what his voice sounds like.  Does he sound that differently on the radio?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:17:27 pm by GTRS Fiero »

fiero128

• Giday from Aussie land
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2017, 10:59:45 pm »
this is the last one for the shift
next week at 3 to 5 pm sydney time
Hawkesbury Hydrogen
More Km perTank
saving money
ABN 98866913657
+61412119530
+61448119310
+61245672275

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2017, 11:04:45 pm »
Yes, he does sound differently on the radio.  Melanie has lots of trouble understanding him when he calls even though her New England accent is similar to the UK and AU accent, but she could understand him on the radio. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2017, 09:53:16 am »
Allen and I managed to talk briefly this morning.  Very bad connection and repeated disconnects.  His words were very distant and chopped.  Allen made 6 attempts but we kept getting disconnected. 

I did manage to verify that the program "Music by Daniel" was the correct one.  Allen was filling in for Daniel who couldn't get to the station on time, and Daniel picked up on the time slot that Allen would have normally been on the air. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2017, 10:45:24 am »
Here, the DJs swap slots when they are trying to get money.  A guy I used to work with was a DJ on some FM station.

I don't understand why the connection would be so bad.  Australia is not a third-world country.  They should have good connectivity.  The international communication aspect is handled by satellite.  I believe that you use skype.  Unless you or he have a poor internet connection at your home, things should be fine.

I'm regularly on those satellites, and connectivity is acceptable.  Chopping is due to compression algorithms and packet loss, combined with the fact that QoS isn't set up properly.  Most home ISPs don't provide QoS, nor are home routers and switches equipped to do so--even when they have QoS options.

Depending on your skype software, you can often improve your results by disabling video and reducing the audio quality.  This reduces bandwidth usage, and allows the voice to come through.  The disconnects sound more like congestion at the skype server.  Since there are several, I would usually check the hops to find the holdup and re-route my traffic accordingly.  Skype does not load-balance their servers, for some reason, nor do they use redundant channels.

I used to use Vonage to call overseas, since most countries were included.  With the cell phone app, I could make and receive calls from anywhere I had internet.  They even added a feature that made the calls appear to come from my cell phone number.  Sometimes, we did get a poor connection, but usually when dealing with undeveloped areas in third-world countries.

My auditory experience via TuneIn was OK, but sometimes his voice seemed muffled or soft.  Since I don't know how he actually sounds, I can't attribute this to anything in particular.  There didn't seem to be a good transition between program and commercial, although I'm not sure who controls that.  Most of the ads were for things that must only be in Australia.  When Fierofool's requested song ended, the song faded out a bit, then ended rather abruptly, and the talking began.  Cool that you can make requests.  They probably don't allow anything like Good Morning, Vietnam.

Other than the difference in time slots and DJs, what is the difference in the programs?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2017, 11:10:02 am »
When he was first calling, he was using WiFi from his vehicle.  Probably poor cell signal.  Anyway, he called again when he got home and we just finished a 54 minute chat where he used Skype to call my home phone. 

Unfortunately, last night I didn't get to hear him play my request.  Melanie's IV had to be changed and I was away from the computer during the end of the show, but next week, he said he's going to play another request early in his regular show that will begin at 11pm Eastern.  You younger dudes probably won't appreciate it as much as folks like me, GTXVette, Roger, TopNotch and OldOne.  Late 60's-early 70's. 

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2017, 02:37:05 pm »
I don't know how you "old folks " stay up so late to give it a listen?!
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2017, 03:22:44 pm »
I don't know how you "old folks " stay up so late to give it a listen?!

Bathroom visits every 30 minutes.