Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: This weather is for the birds  (Read 14015 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
This weather is for the birds
« on: January 13, 2018, 02:22:25 pm »
More specifically, eagles.  It's a good thing Ben Franklin didn't get his way with his bird of choice for our national symbol.  We went bird watching.  We saw bald eagles, but from a distance.  There was one golden eagle, which isn't native here.  I know that the bald eagle doesn't get its white feathers until 5 years of age.  This was a golden eagle.  There was also what may have been a hawk.  Whatever it was, it was large, with a white breast.  Clearly a raptor, but the distance was really past the range of my equipment.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: This weather is for the birds
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 04:29:34 pm »
Where did you go to see them? 

There is a series of lakes about 75 miles south of me.  They relocated Bald Eagles to the region and they did well, building their nests in the standing trees that were left in the lakebed area.  We used to fish a lot on those lakes and often saw Eagles flying, perched or even on their nest.  Within the past month, I heard on TV that there was only 1 remaining nesting pair of Bald Eagles in the whole state.  I find that hard to believe or comprehend. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 05:38:39 pm »
We went to the OCOR bridge over the Mississippi.  There are a bunch of places to see them.  Usually, there is a tour way up the Great River Road later this month, but I haven't been in years.  There is supposed to be a misplaced owl in the area.  The owl is supposed to be in Canada, and somehow ended up here.  I didn't go see it.

Bald eagles used to be on the endangered species list.

One of the bald eagles we saw today was hit by a car.  Twice.  The eagle is still alive, but will never fly again.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:11:01 pm »
I saw a bald eagle in flight fairly close while motoring around in a rented motorboat on lake Ouachita in Arkansas several years ago. They are a majestic sight.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 10:43:15 pm »
Yeah.  With a 7-foot wingspan, they are awe-inspiring.