Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Newsletter! responses  (Read 43136 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Newsletter! responses
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2018, 07:21:04 pm »
OK.  I numbered them, which I should've done in the first place.  Which style is it that you like?

Style 1 was a good starting place, but I don't see yellow anywhere as a club color.  I changed it to green to match the green of the leaf on the peach.  I also changed the fonts to match other fonts used.  The colors on the section titles were changed to more closely resemble the peach colors.

I changed from style 2 to style 3, because I didn't want our newsletter to be lacking, compared to the newsletters of other clubs, and the header didn't seem to be a favorite in our club.  The header font was changed to match the font used on the web site.  The header color was changed to more closely resemble the members sticker, and curvature was added to the header for the same reason.

Style 4 was an attempt to more closely resemble the web site.  I like the gradient background, but the dark color was rather overwhelming, and readability was an issue, in addition to the issues mentioned previously.  Were this style to be continued throughout the newsletter, it would necessitate a lot of additional work to make the newsletter presentable.  Also, I couldn't get the header image balanced.

Style 5 had the same issues with readability and header imbalance as style 4.  The gradient on top looked good, but the section gradients would have to go.

There were other iterations.  I tried hard to get the header to work.  That text doesn't work well for this against that background.  Perhaps if I faded the background in that image, and made the text solid, but I'm not that talented.  I finally came to the conclusion that nothing I could do with that header would give me the clean look I was going for.  Over the course of several days, I would let it sit for a bit, and come back, just to see how if affected my view.  I decided that I reacted more positively to vivid, bright colors and contrasts than to darker colors.  I didn't want to go through all the effort of recreating the borders and curves that are on the message board, because it isn't sustainable.  Compare between this message board and PFF.  Aside from navigation, the mood is entirely different.  Nothing against PFF, but I think the styles 1-3 are easier to read than styles 4 and 5.

I like the gradient background, also.  I could do the part at the top of the one in style 5 on select newsletters, but only on the first page.  This presents a lot of challenges with consistency.  Originally, I wanted to have the gradient around the newsletter frame, and leave the inside in white, like the web site.  Not only did this prove unexpectedly difficult to accomplish, it looked gosh awful, and required a solid header.  It looked dig-your-eyes-out awful.  I was rather disappointed with the results of that effort.  I tried both lighter and darker colors.  None of the looks caught my eye.

I printed one page of a bunch of these with my laser printer on card stock, and on high-quality paper, then clipped them to a strip down the length of my basement.  My kids and I placed them in order of like or not like.  Most of the styles weren't liked.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2018, 07:58:39 pm »
I like 4 with shading only on page 1. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2018, 08:43:59 pm »
I added some more efforts.

Style 6 has the gradient on top, with the web header.  The gradients on the sections was removed.

Style 7 is style 6 with the header modified.

Style 8 is style 7 with the gradient covered inside the frame.

Style 9 is style 8 with my header.

Style 10 is style 4 with the gradient covered inside the frame.

Style 11 is style 10 with the sections headers returned to normal.

The problem with styles 4 and 10 is that the boxes around the section headers are very time-consuming to create, and do not line up with everything else.  Getting them all the exact same height is difficult.  I can't snap to grid, and they don't seem to shrink or expand 1 pixel.  The same problem happens with styles 8-11.  The white inside is an image placed behind everything but the background.  It won't line up exactly with the frame.  It's either overlapping, or 2 pixels inside the frame.  I tried making the image the exact size I wanted it, but it gets resized--either larger or smaller.

Style 4 was created to resemble the web site, which most resembles style 10.  I found style 4 very difficult to read, but editing is terrible, because there are 30 layers.  Many of those layers are completely behind other layers.  Unlike programs like Illustrator, Photoshop, PSP, Corel Draw, etc, I am unable to select layers directly, so every time there is a change, I have to move the top layers off, manipulate the lower layers into what I think is the correct position, then move the upper layers back into place.  The manufacturer's recommendation is to make these items images.  I have the same opinion of that as I have of people who make their web pages of 1 image with hot areas.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2018, 04:43:37 pm »
No fair doing like that kid in my high school used to do, claiming he knew whatever it was, AFTER someone else gave the answer.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this newsletter with pictures, articles, and ideas.

pgackerman

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2018, 07:29:54 am »

Thank you for the April Newsletter.  Looks great.
Red '88 GT 5-Speed, 7730ECM, 1.6 Rockers, and KEYLESS Entry! 
Now with a trailer hitch for my bike rack.
Southland Jubilee 2019 Best in Class

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2018, 03:27:47 am »
Tomorrow (Saturday) is the planned deadline for getting anything in the newsletter.  I'd like to get this one out a bit early to promote developments since the last newsletter.  Much depends on the weather here.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2018, 10:10:27 am »

Thank you for the April Newsletter.  Looks great.

Thanks for your contributions.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2018, 10:16:22 am »
For anyone who would like to contribute to the newsletter, please submit content to the club email address, and use the word "newsletter" in the subject line.  If you would like to contribute, but don't have ideas, there are many articles planned, but which need to be written.

We're always looking for pictures.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2018, 09:23:49 am »
I'm looking for volunteers to write articles for July.  The article subject will be provided.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2018, 07:52:03 pm »
The June newsletter was a pain, largely because it was 255Mb for the edit.  That may not sound like much, but made things difficult to manipulate.  One of the articles was 3 months in the works.

Thanks to pgackerman for his continued article contributions, and to scottb, and TopNotch for their picture contributions.

For past newsletters, Sarge and Fierofool provided helpful pictures.  We have had articles from GrannyLinda and Fierofool.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2018, 07:26:08 pm »
Anyone notice anything odd about June's newsletter?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2018, 09:01:53 pm »
Never saw those boots before.

You're supposed to post over here.  Anyway, you found one thing.  There might be several.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2018, 12:15:03 am »
In May and June you gave the 'boot' to the old logo. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2018, 12:34:27 am »
On the top left?  I changed that one, starting in April, to more closely match the club logo.  The newsletter has elements that match the web site, the member logo, and the club banner.  I also reduced the size of the logo, enhanced the edges, and modernized the logo a bit.  Each month's newsletter gets a slight makeover.

Yes, I've been amusing myself with several newsletters.  The boots were relevant to June.  See pages 11-14.  I believe they're even mentioned on page 14.  My amusement wasn't limited to the front page.

I'm surprised that TopNotch hasn't noticed something.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2018, 09:18:53 am »
I'm surprised that TopNotch hasn't noticed something.

I just got home from vacation.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.