Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Under the knife  (Read 18658 times)

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
Under the knife
« on: April 05, 2018, 05:51:57 pm »
I had not planned to go thru more than a couple of days out of action, I find that my health is in much worse shape than I knew. I will be going thru open heart surgery monday to repair a couple of arteries . I will be out for the next 12 weeks or so. I will let everyone how I am doing as things progress.
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Under the knife
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 07:02:05 pm »
Sorry to hear this, Ron.

You won't remember a lot of what happens--even conversations.  It takes about a year to get back to 100%.  You won't be able to drive for a while, and will tire easily for the first few months.  The process is sortof painful, and there will be discomfort for a few weeks afterward.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:29:41 pm »
If I can possibly do it, I will be there with you, even if I have to sleep in the hospital waiting room.  Hope to see you Sunday evening. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 10:39:03 pm »
Thank you Charlie. We will put you up at Hotel Robinson . Room will be made.

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 11:30:18 pm »
Pat And I Are Praying For A Speedy Recovery.
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 11:46:25 am »
Wow. Well THAT'S new.
Y'all will be in my prayers, too.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 07:07:29 pm »
Brenda and I will be praying for a successful operation and speedy recovery.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 08:58:15 pm »
been there done that in 2001best of luck .
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 09:13:47 pm »
A few other comments:
1. If you smoke, this is a good time to stop smoking
2. Your body is trying to tell you something.  I highly recommend that you increase your workout routine afterward, if your doctor approves.  The doctor will likely give you some exercises to aid your recovery.  Cardiovascular activity seems to be a good idea, but you will likely get a lot of timed walking exercises.  They'll tell you to walk for 40 minutes.  It isn't as easy as it sounds.  The time will increase.
3. They cut through a lot of muscle and nerve tissue.  I don't know if the feeling comes back or not.  You will feel those muscles when you breathe.  It will likely feel as if someone is sitting on your chest.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 09:26:58 pm »
Of course, the ability to do exercise will depend on other things besides your heart. As you know, I had a heart attack in 2011, but I was lucky in that I only needed stents to "fix" it. And I have tried to be active since, but in 2016 I had a spell of back pain that kept me down for several weeks. I try to do the Kaiser 5K every year (walking, not running -- I ain't that good), but I had to skip it in 2016. And sometimes my knees don't feel too good either.
I have to do a stress test every 3 years (fast walking on a treadmill until my heart rate reaches a target). The results of them have been good so far.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 09:53:05 pm »
As I ran for over 20 years  ( 20 years Army and then continued for many years after leaving service) I was walking for 3-4 miles 4 or more days a week til I got sick back in December last year. My heart rate has always been low. 40-to 50 beats a minute from the time I went in to service til now. Meeting the target heart rate on the stress test was not a problem. I feel positive .

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 10:56:26 pm »
How the heck do you reach the target heart rate?  My heart rate is also low, but not that low.  My heart was about 56 beats per minute.  I ran the quarter mile in 48 seconds, and didn't make the target heart rate.  I didn't have enough in me to run 400 meters back-to-back.  I needed at least 30 minutes to recover.  My body is not what it once was.  I've never been able to get my heart rate up to 120 beats per minute.

With a history of exercise like that, if you have a good diet to match, you should recover quickly.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 08:36:55 am »
How the heck do you reach the target heart rate?
The turn up the speed and angle (walking up hill) until yo do. But if you can't, they will do an "induced" stress test, where they inject you with something that makes your heart beat faster. Thankfully, I haven't had to undergo that.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GrannyLinda

• I'm On The Right Track Baby, I WAS BORN THIS WAY !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 09:15:54 am »
This Is How They Do A Stress Test On Me.
With The Injection Because I Can Not Use The Tread Mill.   

The turn up the speed and angle (walking up hill) until yo do. But if you can't, they will do an "induced" stress test, where they inject you with something that makes your heart beat faster. Thankfully, I haven't had to undergo that.
[/quote]
I'm On The Right Track Baby !!!!
I WAS BORN THIS WAY !!!!

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 09:18:57 am »
They didn't "induce" me.  I don't like needles.  They had me use come contraption named after an animal, and match a workout video.  This guy named Tony Little.  On the video covers, he looked like a girl, and the pictures wouldn't be appropriate here, but this person:

Anyway, I guess his workout program develops muscle, but it's BORING.  I am not a fan of gym workouts.  Even wind sprints and running stairs are more interesting.

I don't recall him being in Iron Man (not that I'm in that class), but I know a lot of the people who are.  I doubt Tony Little would last.  A lot of those tests are designed for non-athletes.  I am no longer an athlete, but my body still remembers when I was.  While I don't have the outright speed I had years ago, a few years ago, I foot-raced a college kid who won state in his event.  I beat him, and he wanted a rematch.  I'd have had to wait a few hours, because my body was drained.  I doubt those heart-rate tests are worthwile on anyone who was a competitive athlete.

I don't remember the other details of the discussion, but one of the world athletes stated that the human heart is only good for a certain number of total beats.  His theory was that, since his heart rate was much lower, it would last longer.  Opposing theory was that his heart rate was much higher during his competitions and training.  Data showed that his heart rate never reached what doctors claim is the target heart rate.  Even at almost 80 years old, my dad's heart rate doesn't get above 115.