Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Driver stalls when old  (Read 13893 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Driver stalls when old
« on: September 03, 2018, 04:50:22 pm »
At a traffic light, the vehicle in front of me did not go on green.  I waited a bit, then did a courtesy honk.  Nothing.  The light changed to red, and I think everyone behind me was certainly seeing red, judging by the horns.

I checked on the driver, and he eventually woke up.  Apparently, he has a thing where he falls asleep while driving.  His son, who came to the site, called me a bit ago.  No more driving for his dad.

Just a friendly reminder to check on the driving abilities of your loved ones.  Yes, driving = freedom, but also responsibility.  Sometimes, it happens in other ways: lane control issues, skidding into intersections, inattention, failure to understand traffic patterns, irrational anger, getting lost on the way to the grocery store, small accidents, etc.  Go for a drive with them.  If their driving scares you, it's time to have a talk.

For those of us who are older, if someone has this talk with you, remember that they are showing how much they care about you.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Driver stalls when old
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 06:12:23 pm »
When I had my first incident in March of '99, one of the blood pressure medications I was prescribed upon leaving the hospital was Clonidine.  Once I had recovered enough to be allowed to drive, I was taking Melanie to work.  Sitting at a traffic light, I just fell asleep.  Gladly, she was paying attention to me and gave me a little love tap to wake me up.  Turns out that Clonidine can cause narcolepsy in some people.  When my cardiologist was informed of this, he changed me to a Clonidine transdermal patch.  Dosage is spread out rather than getting a load at one time.  If I fall asleep while you're talking or while in church, I use Clonidine as the excuse. :)
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Driver stalls when old
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 06:23:38 pm »
From now on, I'm going to carry a half-empty container of Clonidine.

This guy was out.  Apparently, this was not an isolated incident.  The son did not give me details, but he thanked me for staying with his dad until emergency people arrived.  The dad was disoriented when he awoke.  The ambulance people went through his pockets for ID.