Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Hurricane Florence  (Read 14509 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Hurricane Florence
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:01:50 am »
I was out on I-85 today, between Atlanta and South Carolina.  There was almost solid traffic headed south in the 20 miles I traveled.  Going north were various heavy trucks.  Mostly bucket trucks and large utility work trucks from different power companies. 

On my way back, on the same 20 mile stretch, I saw lots of tree service trucks.  Asplundh and Townsend were the two I really recognized.  Then there were all those Onesies.  Privately owned tree services that likely only owned the one or two truck and chipper and trailer.  Probably hoping to make a killing with exorbitant prices for clearing trees downed by the incoming hurricane. 

Even after I got home, there were those gold diggers going house to house, handing out business cards.  Roofing companies telling me that they would replace my roof and it would cost me absolutely nothing.  The insurance would pay for everything.  Building and remodeling companies that would replace my windows and repair any damage done by the storm and of course, the insurance companies would pay 100%.  I doubt the guys in the beat up old Ford Ranger will get a lot of business. 

Ever notice when there's a hard rain how the worms come out of the ground? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Florence
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 12:10:57 am »
That may be true, but arborists are often in short supply.  When we had power outages here, there was a 2-month backlog for residential work, because all the arborists for miles around were cleaning up for the city.  The rates are actually lower than normal, which makes some of the private companies gripe, but it's steady work for several months, and they know the residential work will still be there.

The private companies do not clean up after themselves, to make up costs.  The city could clean up later, but usually the residents end up having to clean up the mess left by the arborists.

Insurance pays for nothing.  The insurance companies are in the business of making money.  They do not spend their money--they spend YOUR money.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 12:16:48 am »
If you want some humor, there are some interesting responses to a picture the weather people posted.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 09:33:57 am »
If it's family friendly, post a link.

I was watching a news segment earlier about insurance and what home insurance will cover.  They said that most homeowners insurance will cover damage to the roof, windows, or structure, but won't pay for damage done by water unless the homeowner has flood insurance.
  So it will replace the roof if it gets ripped off, but it won't pay for the damage done by water once the roof is gone. 

I remember a case law study where a homeowner had damage to the home that allowed the rain to enter the home.  The insurance company refused to repair the water damage because the owner didn't have flood insurance.  I don't remember the state the Appeals Court case was from, but it ruled that the insurance company would reimburse the homeowner for his water damage repair expenses, holding that "Flood" is water that rises up from ground level.  In this case, it was from rainfall, which had not yet reached the ground. 

Even so, some companies won't cover rainfall damage if immediate efforts aren't made to cover and protect the structure, as soon as you have access. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTXVette

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 01:12:01 pm »

Club Friend Paul Fenner say's WAITING FOR A HURRICANE IS LIKE BEING STALKED BY A TURTLE.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 10:06:14 pm »
Immediate efforts, as in, before the evacuation order is lifted?

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 10:09:55 pm »
Some people are ignoring the evacuation orders.  I had no idea that was a class 2 misdemeanor, punishable by fines and jail time.  I wonder if that will be enforced.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 11:40:30 pm »
Immediate efforts, as in, before the evacuation order is lifted?

I think it would have to be interpreted to mean as soon as one has access.  Several weeks ago, there were some strong winds in town.  One of the old original homes, a 2 story that's right in the center of town, suffered injuries from a huge oak tree that practically split the house in two.  The home was quickly covered with large blue tarps to protect it from the heavy pop-up thunderstorms we have been having.  I would bet that their insurance wouldn't cover any water damage if they had left it uncovered. 

Something that happens in situations like the roofers coming around soliciting work and guaranteeing the insurance company will pay 100% is that they will have the material delivered from the building supply, direct to your property.  Then the contractor doesn't pay his subs nor the building supply company.  Georgia law puts the burden on the homeowner and the homeowner is then hung with that bill and the contractor has disappeared with the insurance money.  It works the same way with many of the door to door home repair companies, even when it's just regular home maintenance like gutters, vinyl siding or roofing. 

This is a little divergent, but an example of how it works.  In the early 90's when Louisiana Pacific, Georgia Pacific, ABTICO and a number of other siding manufacturers were having catastrophic failures of their sidings, vinyl siding companies were like caravans going up and down the streets offering siding replacement, 100% paid for by the insurance companies. 

My next door neighbor, a widow lady, hired a vinyl siding company to replace her siding.  The siding was delivered ny the manufacturer and placed in her driveway.  Almost a month later, the installer showed up.  When the two men finished installing the siding, they presented Mrs. Adams a bill for just over $5000 for their labor.  Then the siding manufacturer billed her for about $10,000 for the siding.  The salesman had already gotten paid but didn't pay the subs or the manufacturer. 

The good news about this is that this happened to enough people that the law became involved.  They discovered that the siding salesman actually worked for the manufacturer and had a ghost installation company set up.  The manufacturer was getting the money paid to the salesman by the homeowners, less his commission, plus full payment from those that paid the second bill.  But the homeowners were out for the money paid to the subs. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 11:44:37 pm »
Very sad.  Those people should be given new opportunities in prison.  Lots of sales opportunities there.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 10:26:40 am »
This morning, some of the news people were reporting that they had driven into the Wilmington area but then the water levels rose after the storm had passed and now they can't get out. 

Roger and his wife left RFTH to go up to check on his Mom who is in the Neuse River/New Bern area.  Last night Roger reported they were OK at the moment, but water levels were expected to rise in that area, too. 

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 07:33:53 pm »
We can't get close to her. Mom is fine but with parts of I-40 closed and US 70 closed we'd have to parachute in.
We'll wait until the roads open. Rrrrrrrr!

Bought a nice generator to take in and will have a gas grill and chainsaw to take with us. Pix to follow this adventure for sure.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 08:03:02 pm »
Glad your mom is OK.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 08:40:15 pm »
I have a friend who lives in Siler City, NC. She thinks they got 40 inches of rain there, but may be exaggerating a bit. She said a pond near her place became a lake that got to within 30 feet of the driveway, but has already receded some.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 09:00:20 pm »
Well, nothing like that, but the effects of the storm will apparently hit here this weekend, basically as a rainstorm and some wind.

I don't know about 40 inches of rain, but long ago, while getting some cows out of a dry creekbed, there was a downpour.  I could see it coming, because of the lightning.  The creek banks were high, so we were running the cattle down the creek.  I thought the rain was coming like a wall, but then there was like a wall of air pushing against me.  In the next lightning flash, I saw behind me a wall of water bearing down on us, probably 12 feet high.  I had my bike wide open, and couldn't outrun the water.  I rode up the bank, grabbed a tree, and someone roped me out just as the water tore me away.  I never did find that bike.

Floodwaters are terrifying.

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 07:39:46 pm »
Glad your mom is OK.
Thank you and she also sends her thanks for your concerns to the Georgia Fiero Club community!
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.