Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Clutch  (Read 15451 times)

scottb

• View Profile
Re: Clutch
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 07:09:36 pm »
Changed master back out to rodneys with the adjustable banjo, then vacuum bleed......... and I am sucking air somewhere. Will check connections tomorrow. The banjo is adjusted out to its limit, only way to make it longer is to modify the pedal

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 08:47:56 pm »
Is your other Fiero a manual?

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 09:13:25 pm »
Yes, his other car is an '86 manual. I think it has a getrag transmission. Aren't all the clutch masters the same? I know the slave cylinder is different between Getrag and Isuzu.

I suggested to Scott thru text that he may have to take known good parts off a running car and replace them one at a time to truly sort out what the issue is.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 09:19:34 pm »
I know little about the Fiero manuals, but I was thinking of a comparison, before a wholesale swap.

If they are different, did he get the correct parts?

I would be inclined to give Rodney a call, to get his input.

MikeMac

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 09:26:57 pm »
The slave cylinders are very different in appearance and wouldn't bolt up.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 09:40:15 pm »
Who else has an '88 manual?  NoMad?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 09:43:46 pm »
There were two generations of master cylinders.  They can't be interchanged without modification to the fluid line coming out of it.  Early MC's had the fluid line coming out at the very front of the MC and the reservoir was between it and the bulkhead.  The later ones had the fluid line coming out between the reservoir and the bulkhead. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 09:50:30 pm »
If those were both for the '88, it would seem that getting the wrong one would cause an issue with the length of the banjo.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 10:39:02 pm »
No, both styles weren't available for all years.  The early style was only in the 84 and 85, I think.  The new style was from 86 and up, all transmissions so there would be no difference in banjo rods.  The only difference in the two styles was the location of the fluid line attachment point and probably the piston and seal inside. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

NoMad

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 11:39:57 pm »
I do have the 88 FSM but not sure exactly what is being asked for from the manual.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2019, 04:45:30 am »
I think you have that backwards Charlie, early ones the line is between the reservoir and the bulkhead. My 86 4speed is set up like that. The 88 has the line coming out past the reservoir. Since each car has a different style I cant swap parts between them

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2019, 08:07:15 am »
The master cylinders function identically. It's just the routing of the hydraulic line. I had do do some rerouting when I did one of my tranny swaps. (Think it was the red car.) Think I had an early MC and a later line, or something. So... it was an early MC with a Getrag.
I can look at my coupe when I get home this evening. It actually came with a manual, so it hasn't been "cobbled".

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 09:39:08 am »
I think you have that backwards Charlie, early ones the line is between the reservoir and the bulkhead. My 86 4speed is set up like that. The 88 has the line coming out past the reservoir. Since each car has a different style I cant swap parts between them

That's highly possible.  I was going from memory (what memory?).  The 87 is under the car cover and I wasn't going out at that hour to verify.  I just basically remember that the points the fluid lines attached are in different locations. 

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2019, 10:32:49 am »
I drove my yellow 88 today, so I just looked at the master cylinder. It has the line connected near the front, and the reservoir near the back.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2019, 05:30:53 pm »
Thanks everybody, I got it....... it helps tremendously when all of the fittings on a hydraulic system are tight. Apparently i missed one last night. Oops. Now to put it all back together, hopefully I can tag it tomorrow. Thanks again for everyones help