Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Safe driving  (Read 13995 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Safe driving
« on: November 27, 2019, 10:34:11 pm »
Some people don't know this, but vehicles drive differently.  I'll tell what happened, then explain why.

Yesterday, a driver (not me) was driving a pickup truck he had recently purchased.  There was wind, but the weather was otherwise clear (according to the police).  The driver in front slowed, and this driver rear-ended the other driver.  The driver of the pickup "had his body completely straight" because he was "pressing the brake the pedal so hard to help the anti-lock brakes."  When the impact occurred, he "felt as if his foot bone went through his shoe."  His explanation was that the road was slippery.

Let's start with a common fallacy.  4WD vehicles do not stop in less distance than 2WD vehicles.  In fact, 4WD vehicles weigh more than similarly 2WD vehicles, giving them more mass, resulting in longer stopping distances.

This driver was driving an unfamiliar vehicle improperly, largely because he did not abide by proper driving practices, and did not respect the vehicle he was driving.  Each vehicle drives differently.  It is important to learn the characteristics of a given vehicle before driving it.  Cars and trucks drive entirely differently.

Tailgating is never a good idea--particularly if the road surface is slippery.  This particular driver is inattentive, and frequently tailgates.  According to him, he was "30 feet behind the other driver", which is "more than adequate."  Remember the 1 car length per 10 MPH rule.  They were running about 65 MPH.

So, 65 MPH on a slippery surface, and tailgating!  What could go wrong?  Well, he was playing with the vehicle's infotainment center.  Yes.  Those are safety hazards.  If you need to play with those, do it while parked, off the street.

This was in a 60 MPH zone, at dusk, heading West, during rush hour.  So, visibility was bad, and everyone was driving badly.  This is the time to be very attentive.  This driver said he was looking through the menus, looked up, and the guy in front of him was stopping.  Again, safety hazards.

This particular driver sits way too close to the wheel.  How did that play out?  Well, if the air bag had deployed, the police said he would have suffered severe damage to his chest.  As it was, he fractured several ribs.  His knees smashed into the dash.  So, sit a comfortable arm's length back ftom the wheel.  Because he was sitting so close, he had to twist his body to see the infotainment center, meaning he was looking to the right, almost perpendicular to his direction of travel.  His neck was damaged in the accident.

Now let's talk posture.  This guy is a recliner.  You know, with the back of the seat laid way back.  Not only does this cause a lack of attention, but also detracts from the driver's ability to recognize and adapt to changing conditions.  It takes away from the driver's command and control.  The driver cannot see what is going on, and isn't alert.  Yes.  So, his back was damaged.  It just gets better and better.

Now his feet.  The angle and position of the driver's feet on the pedals is important.  I don't know the actual angle he used, but with the seat close to the pedals, his toe would have bern on the pedal, and his foot almost parallel to the floor.  The impact drove the bones between his toes and ankle back into his ankle.

At the time of the impact, his body was very tense, rather than relaxed.  This caused the extent of the injuries to be exacerbated.

He was taken to the hospital, and has had 2 surgeries, thus far.  He is on morphine, and sedated.  He will continue to have surgeries for the next few weeks.  His feet alone will require a total of 5 surgeries.  He will be put in traction, and may not walk for months.

Drive safely out there.  Respect the vehicle you are driving.

f85gtron

• View Profile
Re: Safe driving
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 11:48:38 am »
It’s unfortunate that people are taught following distance in car lengths instead of time. Safe following distance allows space cushion and allows reaction time. Of, course, that’s if you’re actually paying attention to the road. 2 seconds MINIMUM from the vehicle you’re following will allow you to react, but 3-4 seconds will be much safer. I find I can get away with 3 sec following time before traffic around me starts to dive into my cushion. Measuring in seconds, instead of car lengths, allows the distance to grow as speed increases, maintaining reaction time.
Driving position is a serious deal for the reasons outlined in your account. If he had adopted a proper seating position and the pressures and weight of his body had been constrained not by his feet and ankles, but by the seatbelts and seat, then they’re may have been a totally different outcome and almost no injuries.
Thanks for posting this story when everyone is traveling. Hopefully it will help save someone injuries in case of an accident this holiday season!
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 11:53:52 am »
The time for a following distance is good, but seems to be more difficult to grasp.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 01:26:21 pm »
Sitting back from the steering wheel is great, except that some people are more round than tall and they must sit with their stomachs against the wheel in order to reach the pedals.  They don't do it any more, but at one time there were cars that had telescoping steering columns that would give a little more clearance. 

Something I found when living in snow country is that a vehicle with an automatic transmission will not slow as quickly as a manual transmission car.  This is because the torque converter lockup disengages when decelerating.  I discovered that pushing the car into neutral when approaching a stop sign or light would allow me to stop much more efficiently without skidding the tires. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 01:29:47 pm »
My truck has a telescoping steering column, but also adjustable pedals.  The Malibu did, also.