Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: CB radios  (Read 14515 times)

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
CB radios
« on: January 04, 2020, 05:21:04 pm »
Has anyone ever mounted a CB radio in a Fiero and had good luck with it working? I tried back in 85 and couldn't get the antenna grounded well enough to get it to work .
1985 2M6 SE, 1986 GT x 2.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: CB radios
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 05:21:55 pm »
Where did you ground it?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 05:51:05 pm by GTRS Fiero »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 05:49:10 pm »
The 3800 "Formula" that Pat bought had an antenna mounted beside one of the engine vents, attached to the strut tower. 

Page 5 of A New Formula In Our Stall shows the antenna.  Looks like it may actually be mounted to the decklid hinge. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 05:53:21 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 06:21:49 pm »
Just curious, but who is still on CB?  It used to be that I would pick up various conversations, but not so much, anymore.  The truckers appear to have moved on.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 06:23:23 pm »
Page 5 of A New Formula In Our Stall shows the antenna.  Looks like it may actually be mounted to the decklid hinge.
The antenna was mounted to the decklid hinge bracket using (of all things) a small C-clamp. It was rusted solid and was difficult to remove. I still have the radio if anyone wants it. You will need a new antenna, though.
The car actually had quite a bit of Rube Goldberg mods done to it.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 09:20:54 pm »
I still have license. It dates from the late 70's. There are clubs around that promote cb like car clubs do cars. I pulled an old Cobra 29 out of a box and mounted it in my blazer. Used it on my last trip to see Mom at Christmas. There are a few truckers still using cb and I talked to 3 or 4 on that trip. Since there are not that many people using them , the airwaves are alot clearer and you don't get stepped on like it used to be.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 10:03:29 am »
I removed my left side engine grill, and stuck a mag mount to the top of the left shock tower. Seemed to work okay, for what it was. This was when I still had my red coupe.
I believe I have seen "through-the-glass" CB antenna mounts, like they used to use for cellular antennas. I'm not sure how well they work, however.

I believe all the existing licenses were grandfathered, and are now "lifetime". My dad had a license that I used to operate under. I'll bet nobody would care if I still used that callsign.
With that said, I think that a license is no longer required.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 10:06:49 am by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 12:15:44 pm »
License for my radio, over 5 miles in range.  Basically, you fill out a form and submit the form.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 05:27:46 pm »

I believe I have seen "through-the-glass" CB antenna mounts, like they used to use for cellular antennas. I'm not sure how well they work, however.

Here's one, under the "Tram" name. As if that means anything, these days.
Linky

The rectangular box, with the cable connection, is attached to the inside of the glass. The flat base, with the antenna mount, is attached to the outside.
When we were installing cellular antennas, if you had a rear defroster grid, they were attached so that the grid wires were towards the top and bottom of the mount. As far from the center of the mount as possible.

Edit - That one has the wrong connector. (A BNC) 
Try this one. Link
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 05:32:26 pm by Raydar »

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 05:30:14 pm »
Yeah, I guess there could be interference.

ron768

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 06:00:56 pm »
I have seen the window mount and I may look into those. Yes, my license was grandfathered back in the 70's. My mom had paid for the license and when we went to re new it they sent back the check I think and was told it was permanent .

f85gtron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 05:18:22 pm »
Beware of the through the window mounts. They use resisters to match the signal, losing rx and tx strength.
The best mounting, would probably be the setup that uses the access through a grill. Use a piece of flat stock or something to mount a proper antenna too. Tune the antenna carefully, like a “monkey-made” or some kind of whip. Metal is more efficient than fiberglass, but if you want too, get a “firestick” because they tune up real nice and you won’t loose a bunch of rf. Wilson makes a nice top-loaded hybrid fiberglass that works great and is easily tunable.
Remember to tune with the doors closed and in an open area. You should be able to tune the full 1:1 swr if you have a good ground plane (achieved by mounting to the strut tower). You may get some reflection from the roof though.
CB radio, ch 19, is an awesome tool and can save you mucho cabbage. Ask for a bear report, ask what they left behind them. Go ahead, make a friend and enjoy the conversation.
Throw on a 10-11 meter box and skip to reach out and talk to someone.
Remember to spend time on tuning the antenna!  It will provide better reach than a strong radio. Wattage is great, but if it can’t get out...
Ron
85 GT manual NOW powered by 7730
3.4 bored to 3.5, cammed out and DIS'd
F23 connecting power to ground
My wife won't ride in it. It's "the other woman" ;)