Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Charlies 86 SE  (Read 27882 times)

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Charlies 86 SE
« Reply #165 on: June 15, 2020, 06:28:13 pm »
Why are battery trays made from steel, anyway?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #166 on: June 15, 2020, 07:02:38 pm »
Probably for strength but still remain lightweight.  Some people have used a battery box, but it would need a drain if it remained in the factory location. 

I am surprised at how badly it was eroded.  The battery tray was replaced with a Fiero Store tray in the past.  Don Hulse did it.  I don't know if it was for Scottie or the person who owned it before him. 

Apparently the alternator had been overcharging and boiling the batteries for some time judging by the corrosion on the fender wall and the cradle below.   
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 15, 2020, 07:07:18 pm »
Well, at least you found out about that, since the engine blew.  I'd cut out the rotted part and weld in new metal.

I had been pulling my battery, every winter, so corrosion would not go as long.  I wonder if a gell battery would be better.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2020, 07:28:19 pm »
I believe Zach, Mark and Jordan did just that.  Zach and Mark were in there with grinders and cutting wheels in their initial attack, then they started applying new metal. 

A gel battery probably would help to reduce if not eliminate the problem entirely. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2020, 07:44:11 pm »
I meant for the picture of the GT to go in the thread for that car, but I don't think I communicated that...oops. That picture was from Friday when I changed out the "locked up" compressor. In reality the compressor clutch had went bad. Since Charlie already had the compresdor I changed it. As far as I know he still has cold air at the vents.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2020, 08:36:49 pm »
I meant for the picture of the GT to go in the thread for that car, but I don't think I communicated that...oops.
Fixed!
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #171 on: June 15, 2020, 09:17:54 pm »
I still got cold air.  I hadn't been using it because I had to run the fan on high and it was chilling me out.  Sunday afternoon after church, I removed the blower motor and the ballast resistor and cleaned all the junk out of the ductwork.  I had chewed up leaf particles blowing out of the defroster onto my dash and leaves stuck inside the dash vents.  Found a couple of leaves entangled in the ballast resistor, too.  Now I can safely run the blower on the lower speeds.  And to think, the blower was cleaned out last summer. 

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 15, 2020, 09:35:14 pm »
Pretty scary how fast it gets gunked up.

NoMad

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2020, 11:08:32 pm »
Ya, we were adding steel from the start but I wish I would have just gone bigger on the initial cuts. Just pull most of it and build one from scratch. Likely would have taken less time. Live and learn.

mweldon

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 16, 2020, 10:15:04 am »
Apparently the alternator had been overcharging and boiling the batteries for some time judging by the corrosion on the fender wall and the cradle below.

Maybe, but even my 88GT, which for the most part lived a life of luxury by the PO, always garaged kept, driving only 3-5K miles a year max, still had the same locations of corrosion as yours, just less severe and earlier in the process.  The decklid vent, mixed with rain or hose water washing over the battery leads to acidic material pooling on the shelf below.

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 16, 2020, 05:04:58 pm »
Maybe the battery tray could be coated with bedliner.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 16, 2020, 07:27:45 pm »
In my experience coating metal battery boxes doesn't do any good, acid will find its way through the coating

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2020, 07:41:36 pm »
Part of that seems to be that the battery moves and wears through the coating, but yes.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 18, 2020, 08:07:09 pm »
Battery shouldn't be moving

GTRS Fiero

• It is what it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 18, 2020, 08:10:09 pm »
Ideally, no, but many Fieros are either missing the clamp, or the clamp isn't securing the battery.