Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Little Duke Coupe  (Read 63493 times)

88_4mula

Re: Little Duke Coupe
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2011, 09:17:15 am »
What ya doing Sunday?
I 've done brakes quite a few times on mine....
I can come over and do the rear brakes.
let me know at the meeting.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2011, 11:42:54 pm »
After Church, we're going to my Sister's house for my Brother-In-Law's birthday. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2011, 06:19:10 pm »
The Lil' Duke Coupe left home today.  It took off and ran as fast as it's little 4-banger heart could legally run.  65 and 70 MPH all the way to Douglasville and never looked back.  After the stalling problems coming back from the meeting, I expected to have to haul it back. 

Ray followed me and he said he'd noticed an occasional spray coming out of the engine.  When we got to Don's we found that the water pump just couldn't wait for us to replace it.  It failed just about the time we got there.  I guess it realized we were about to do some surgery on it.  The ignition locked up before we could change out the column and the water pump failed because we planned to install a new one. 

Don has donated a tilt column and delay wiper motor and will be installing that.  Since I had the new pump, belt and pulley sitting in the front floor, I asked him to install that, too. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2011, 05:03:17 pm »
The tilt column and delay wipers have been installed.  The new water pump and pulley have been installed.  Don has put around 150 miles on it, not counting the 75 miles I put on it getting it to Don.  He says it runs like a charm and drives beautifully.  He's done a few other little items that I can't remember.  It's actually roadworthy if any member needs a temporary ride or if you want to contribute any to the restoration. 

oldone

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2011, 08:24:16 pm »
it does run don and i took it to lunch wednesday and had no problems.
the world is a sh t sandwich and everyday is another little bite

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2011, 05:27:21 pm »
Some updating on the Lil' Duke Coupe. 

The first time I drove it any distance was to the club meeting and it ran well.  On the way back it began to stall.  It stalled frequently.  Each time, after turning off the ignition and waiting a moment it would restart and I could drive for a short distance again.  I repeated that process several times on the way home.  In the coming weeks I couldn't find the cause and only drove it 5-6 miles at a time. 

One night I found that the alternator wasn't charging and drove the last half mile home in the dark with no lights.  I replaced the alternator with a new one, but that one made the headlights look like 2 motorcycles coming at you with the headlights pulsing.  Diagnostics showed that the alternator was putting out 15.25 volts at idle.  Since I couldn't rebuild that alternator it was off to Advance for a new one.  That solved that problem.

It went off to Aerodonamics for some work.  Don installed the tilt column and delay wipers.  Wipers take a sweep when the headlights are flashed or the turn signals are turned on.  TopNotch's Phantom Wiper Fixer will cure that. As you can see in the above posts, there were no problems while Don had the car.  That is until I brought it home.  Got just 1 mile from home and it stalled.  Three times in that mile.  Each time after turning off the ignition it would restart.  It would restart only after the ignition had been turned to the OFF position.

Afterward, I only drove it close by home and had no problems.  Then I drove it to the July meeting.  Ran great right down I-85.  Left the meeting and hit I-85 again and it ran great.  Until I got to the airport in Lawrenceville and it shut down while running about 65.  Oh, BTW, the SES light had been going on and off all the way down and back.  First time that had happened.  Anyway, because of traffic I pulled to the shoulder, turned off the ignition and immediately restarted.  Just 9 more miles home.

In that 9 miles it shut down 4 more times.  In all but one, I just put it in neutral, turned off the ignition and coasted, turned the ignition back on and restarted it.  The first time while coasting I tried restarting without turning off the ignition and also bump starting with the clutch.  Still no-go.

Got it home and checked the code and it was an Oh-2 sensor Code 13.  Replaced it and in local driving of about 20 miles round trip, it's given no problems.

These problems don't happen unless it gets a little distance away and starts back home.  I think it doesn't want to come home.  Anyone else want to keep it for a while? 

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2011, 06:02:06 pm »
I have room for a flock / herd of Fieros ;D

jk....... I think you actually have a bigger driveway than I do

\D
Life is good!

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2011, 08:41:42 pm »
I have an idea. Do you think it could be the ECM? If so, maybe you could borrow mine, take it on a long drive, and see how it does. My ECM is known good (after 3 not-so-good ones).
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2011, 08:46:40 pm »
I'm hoping the Oh2 sensor was the answer.  If it isn't, yeah, maybe we can swap out the ECM.  How difficult is it to change?  Any special procedures?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2011, 09:19:25 pm »
Nothing special. Just disconnect the battery first.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2011, 09:31:43 pm »
I was thinking ICM, not ECM.  Hey, it's late and I didn't get my mid-day nap.  It seems that whatever it is, it gets reset when it's powered off.  

Tucked back underneath the C500 is a weatherpak connector.  Is that for the ECM, like the V6's have?  Can I clear the stored codes by disconnecting that?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 09:38:22 pm by Fierofool »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2011, 09:37:08 pm »
I have an extra ICM for an 88 duke.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2011, 05:04:41 pm »
If I get the headliner material, anyone want to do a tech session on replacing it?  I also have new rear brake pads to be installed.  Could use some help on that in case anyone needs to use the car.  Remember, this is the club loaner vehicle, so if anyone needs it, let me know.

nightmare311

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2011, 05:15:53 pm »
bring it to the show i'll do it for you there should only take about 30min

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2011, 06:43:01 pm »
Thank you, but I'm driving the 87GT.  Maybe we could do a tech session at the November meeting?