Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Stiff steering rack?  (Read 4032 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Stiff steering rack?
« on: July 26, 2021, 11:22:26 am »
Yesterday Richard Chen came over with his Formula for me to check it out. He said his steering has become harder, and seems to "grab" at times. The problem seems to be the steering rack assembly. It seems to make a slight scraping noise as you turn the steering wheel from lock to lock. I saw no evidence of a previous mechanic making any adjustments on the rack, such as the pre-load. I loosened the rack boots and slathered grease on each end of the rack, and moved it from lock to lock in an attempt to distribute the grease. That seemed to help a little.
Have any of you heard of a steering rack getting "stiff"? What can be done, short of replacing the rack?
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

The Art Doctor

• View Profile
Re: Stiff steering rack?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 06:07:35 pm »
I've heard of the bearing at the end of the steering input shaft inside the rack having issues on 88's.  I picked up a NOS bearing for just in case off Ebay as they are obsolete.   GM part number 1-7819358

NoMad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 08:33:21 pm »
Not sure the year on his, but rebuilding MWeldon's old 88 rack I got from him wasn't terribly difficult or expensive. Might be extreme to pull it and rebuild it without being sure, but the piece of mind can't hurt.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 09:37:49 pm »
He was having a friend mechanic pull the rack and rebuild it.  I haven't heard anything about the result.  I believe he purchased Rodney's bushing.  It's a Formula.  They were also looking at the input shaft, too. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

Roger

• Paid Members
  • If it’s the thought that counts, think money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 02:24:59 pm »
Mine got terrible. Turned out the Pinion nose bearing was dust. Rodney's kit did the trick.
You can't fix stupid but, you can adjust it with a 2x4.