Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Check engine light not working.  (Read 1761 times)

Sandman87

• View Profile
Check engine light not working.
« on: October 31, 2021, 10:32:39 am »
Hello everyone. having an issue lately where I have no check engine light. Normally that wouldn't be an issue haha. But I do not believe it's working at all as it doesn't come on with the key in the start position without the engine running either. I have changed the bulb I know it to be good. Any ideas? Car starts right up and runs just fine. I have not found any blown fuses.
Mike

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: Check engine light not working.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 08:51:30 am »
Sometimes the trace on the membrane wears through at the point of contact with the bulb holder.  Try rotating it slightly to get the bulb fixture contacts on a good part of the trace. 

Edit:  I've also had some luck by springing the wire contacts on the bulb outward so they make contact with the leads inside the bulb holder. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 10:43:50 am by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

AJ_87Fiero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 02:07:12 pm »
Interesting situation - in the cars of the old, before electronics totally took over, was there anything that goes on when the check engine light fails?

....which makes me poinder- is there anything for more current cars, right now? I have a 2000 Toyota Avalon, close to 200k miles and I know there are some known issues with it (P0442 - EVAP FUMES or Oxygen Sensor leaking or something related - i.e the charcoal cannister thingy is malfunctioning) but the Check Engine Light is still not turned on.
87 Fiero Coupe

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 09:29:58 pm »
I only remember there being an oil pressure light, a battery light, and some cars had a temperture light when it was beginning to overheat.  Later they got brake fluid lights, door ajar lights, parking brake and seat belt lights, but they weren't through a computer.  They were hard wired into the circuit. 

Some sellers will remove the check engine bulb when a car has an uresolved issue.  Could that be the issue with the Avalon? 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers