Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: 84 fiero won't start  (Read 526 times)

Cdepoy84

• View Profile
84 fiero won't start
« on: December 20, 2021, 10:37:14 am »
My fiero won't start, I've put a new battery, positive connection cable, and new starter but it still won't crank. It will power everything else however when I go to crank it everything dies out. Does anyone have any ideas

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 84 fiero won't start
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 11:20:14 am »
Standard transmission or automatic? If standard, it could be the clutch safety switch.
But what do you mean by "everything dies out"? Maybe one of your battery connections is loose.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 11:22:01 am »
Check both connections at the battery.
Check your connection where the big red positive wire is bolted to the starter.
Check the connection where the big battery ground wire connects to the block or head. 
While you're checking the positive wire, check the fusible links. On an 84, they're connected to the big starter lug, along with the battery wire.
There also should be a small ground wire that goes from the battery, down to the frame/shock tower.
It's also possible that one or the other of your battery cables/connectors is bad. Maybe corroded where the connectors attach.
Those are all the first things to check.

If you have to get under the car, make sure it's in park or neutral and the wheels are chocked. There was a guy, up north, a few months back, who got crushed under his Fiero. 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 06:40:22 pm »
Every time I've had that problem, it's the cable at the battery.  It seems that today's battery terminals don't have threads that come all the way out to the surface where the cable contacts.  I've had to purchase the battery screw posts that are designed for multiple cable hookups.  The bolts are long enough to engage the threads deep inside the side terminals.
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery-terminal/p/duralast-dual-battery-terminal-side-bolt/973593_0_0
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers