Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Gotta drop the cradle on my 3800 car again...  (Read 1794 times)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Gotta drop the cradle on my 3800 car again...
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2022, 05:10:19 pm »
My engine is ready to receive another transmission. I've had spme back and knee pain lately, so I'm doing this job slowly. Thank God for shop cranes.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2022, 01:39:47 pm »
Today I replaced some melted wire loom. I had bought it from Amazon. I guess they're not the place to buy wire loom. I replaced it with some high temp wire loom from Summit. I already had some on the car, so I know it will hold up.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2022, 07:42:33 pm »
Which did you get?  Did you get a temperature range?  I need to replace melted loom on my car.  The stuff I'm told I need to get should have a silver or gray stripe on it to indicate that it's for temperatures experienced in the engine bay. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2022, 07:46:38 pm »
I just searched for "high temperature wire loom" and got what came up. It has a silver stripe on it.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2022, 09:31:31 pm »
The brand of wire loom I got is Ron Francis. Apparently they only make 3 sizes, but theirs is made of nylon, while other brands are made of polyethylene or something like that. You can get it at ronfrancis.com if no one else has it.
Edit: I looked on Jeggs for "high temp wire loom", and what I found there was only good for up to 200 degrees F. The melting point of nylon is 512 degrees F.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 09:59:37 pm by TopNotch »

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2022, 08:49:42 pm »
More improvements while the engine is out... The "ribs" on my valve covers have never looked real good. I tried sanding and polishing them, and even putting metallic tape on them, but neither gave good results.
My latest attempt is to paint them with exhaust coating. I also wire-brushed and painted the rusty EGR valve mount. Here is a picture that shows one of the valve covers and the EGR valve mount.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2022, 05:16:46 pm »
The stuff I used at first to paint my exhaust pieces with was some I already had, and it was DEI brand (Design Engineering Inc.). When I ran out of it, I tried to find more, and found some on eastwood.com. I ordered some way back on April 8, and still haven't received it. So I searched on Amazon and found this:

Before I bought it from Amazon, I tried to find some at the local AutoZone, but they didn't have it. It would be nice if they did. And this brand has a "bake on the car" procedure in the instructions. That's good, because the cross-over pipe is too big for the oven.
I paid for the Eastwood order by Paypal, so I have applied for a refund with them.

SpadeCustoms

• View Profile
    • Spade Customs
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2022, 10:09:07 am »
Most of our local stores do not have "quality" stuff for exhaust painting. Did you look at Summit for the DEI stuff?

BTW I used the bumper method to raise the car up. Helped out tremendously to slide the 4.9 in. Didn't have to fight to get around the cherry picker this time.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2022, 06:24:16 pm »
My car is nearly all back together except for the rear bumper cover. And I have good news and bad news.
The good news: It started right up. It was as if it hadn't sat disassembled since last November.
So with all the appropriate fluids in the car, I decided to let it run for a little while. Since the transmission pump runs even when the car isn't going anywhere, I had put some ATF in my "new" transmission.
The bad news: One of my transmission coolant hoses came off the metal line from the transmission, and the transmission peed ATF all over my home-made carport concrete. Well, at least I know that the transmission pump works quite well.
So I went to the store and got a large bag of cheap store brand cat litter to pour on the mess. I'll clean it up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:45:42 pm by TopNotch »

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2022, 07:22:04 pm »
I bought the same brand in black to paint my battery tray area and an area on the cradle after treating it with rust converter while the engine was out.

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2022, 08:26:35 pm »
I bought the same brand in black to paint my battery tray area and an area on the cradle after treating it with rust converter while the engine was out.
I assume you meant the same brand of exhaust coating I mentioned in a previous post, and not the brand of kitty litter I mentioned in my last post. ;)

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2022, 08:23:01 pm »
Well, since I have no idea when or if my original transmission will be rebuilt, the transmission I put in my car is a "plan B" transmission. I bought a used one, not from Ebay this time, but from a dealer of used and re-manufactured transmissions. They didn't have a remanned one that met my needs, but they had a used  one with 73k miles on it, and a one year warranty. So I bought it, and it's in the car.
It has a curious problem that I will live with for now -- my body is too beat up to work on it any more for a while. It will only go if it is in reverse of first gear. But once the car starts going, I can shift to a higher gear and it will "catch". After that, it works normally until I have to stop. Then I have to shift to first again to take off. If any of you know what's going on, please let me know.
I will go on longer and longer test drives to see if anything changes.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2022, 08:49:08 pm »
I assume you meant the same brand of exhaust coating I mentioned in a previous post, and not the brand of kitty litter I mentioned in my last post. ;)

:D

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2022, 11:18:54 am »
This morning I went on a test drive at highway speeds. The transmission worked just fine, except if I stopped, I had to switch to first gear to take off again. While driving, I could put it in 4th, and the transmission would shift as required depending on how fast I was going.

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2022, 08:07:26 pm »
Pat... I think that car has "got it in" for you.