Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: sinus problems  (Read 16458 times)

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
sinus problems
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:36:39 pm »
so i have had MAJOR sinus problems for a real long time and i've been using nasal spray for way too long. as most of you know, your body can become dependent on nasal spray. having no insurance on myself, so I started researching different home remedies and OTC solutions. surgery is the absolute last thing i want to do and having no health insurance prescriptions are out of reach. so far I've tried zyrtec-D, musinix-D, etc...... OTC doesn't work (other than nasal spray).

I found an all natural product called Sinus Buster that is primarily for headaches, but has been known to help with sinus problems. it's main ingredient is capsaicin. yup, hot pepper extract! i thought i could work considering hot wings does to my sinuses. NOPE, just burns like hell, and it seemed to make it worse.

today, i tried another home remedy. i found 100's of youtube videos on it, and according to some those videos, was featured on OPRAH. which, you know, anything on oprah is golden  :Smiley. anywho, it's a neti pot sinus wash kit. it's a simple process of basically mixing a saline solution and pouring it in your nasal cavities. it's not a pretty or glamorous process by no means, and is uncomfortable. but so far, it's seems to work! i'm curious on how long it will work. we will see.

if you have anything else i should try, I'm all ears! and I'll report back on if the neti pot works out 

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Re: sinus problems
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:59:49 pm »
Sniffing a teaspoon of a warm salt solution has long been known to benefit some sinus problems.  The mix is about 1 teaspoon salt dissolved in a warm glass of water.  On the other hand, if you've got yellow or green discharge, you need an antibiotic. 

Untreated sinus infections can cause hearing and dental problems.

There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 09:12:47 pm »
it's not a infection, i did manage to get a hold some antibiotics through a friend that's a nurse. they had no effect. i think the main root of my sinus problems is from my past personal neglect of doing bodywork (fiberglass/primer/body filler) without a mask.  that has multiplied my already bad hay fever.   

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 09:46:09 pm »
I have bad sinus trouble also and my Mom's been trying to get me to use the saline nasel spray. She swears that it'll clear me up but I haven't tried it yet.

And Pat where the spell check? I can't spell worth a flip.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 12:16:46 am »
she is right, it will work. but like suggest ed by fierofool try antibiotics first, you may have an infection.

a suggest for spellcheck, try using firefox insted of IE. it has it own spell check in the program

cogcaviz24

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 12:19:12 am »
the neti pot seems to have a 6 hour effect on me. I am just starting to feel my sinuses acting up. i say i have another hour maybe hour and a half before it gets unconfortable. the down side is i cant exactly use it at work, i'll stick to the spray at work and use the neti pot at home. cant wait to see my wife's reaction to the proceedure :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 12:31:32 am by cogcaviz24 »

Raydar

• Paid Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 08:40:12 pm »
Kind of extreme, but when my sinuses are acting up, I'll get a handful of water (I usually wait until I'm in the shower) and just snort it up my nose. A best case, it'll make you start sneezing. Even if it doesn't, it'll help to dissolve... stuff.
The longer you can stand in the shower with the warm water running over your face (forehead and nose) the more good it will do you.

I also recommend Nasacort.
It's a steroidal nose spray, and only available by prescription. It's rather expensive, but I use it every night, and I give it credit for me not getting a sinus infection in nearly a year. (I used to get sick every spring and every fall.)