Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: I have heard people talking about doing a EV Conversion on a Fiero  (Read 16008 times)

88_4mula

I have heard people talking about doing a EV Conversion on a Fiero.
Since work is only 10 miles from home, Converting a fiero to electric would be a worth while task.

Found a link of a guy on youtube that did one in Hawaii.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

What ya'll think
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:25:45 pm by 88_4mula »

88_4mula

Re: I have heard people talking about doing a EV Conversion on a Fiero
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:26:43 pm »
I so want to do this!

Donster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 02:56:42 am »
We need to get together with RobsFieros then

Also, check your email

\D
Life is good!

RobsFieros

• View Profile
    • East Tennessee Fiero Club
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:26:58 am »
I had one figured out before the accident. I just bearly remember a few things. But I plan on building mine as soon as I'm ok to go back to work.
Robert Finley
President-East Tennessee Fiero Club
Member- Georgia Fiero Club
RobsFieros58@comcast.net

88_4mula

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 04:58:29 pm »
Found his website:http://evalbum.com/2770

It has all kinds information.

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 06:53:57 am »
I actually JUST bought my 84 2m4 about a month ago to do the conversion. I have it planned out for what I needed but decided after thinking about it for that month, that it's just not sensable to spend $5000 on the Lipo Batteries right now. The batts keep coming down in price but they are still too expensive.

I will EVENTUALLY build a EV car that will make it over 100 miles with a charge so I can drive it to work. I work 50 miles from home and would need it to make at least around 120miles per charge and also be worth spending about $8000+ to build.

Right now with a Iron Duke getting about 32mpg I will stick with Gasoline but keep the EV in the back of my mind. eventually we will be able to use Lithium Polymer that has twice, if not 3x the capacity of LiPo batteries do now.
The Battery technology is moving up and getting better but it's a slow process.
86GT Automaic 2.8L, 05, G35, 96 MZ3

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 08:50:25 am »
My former partner was working on an EV that used a small gasoline engine that I think was about 16hp.  It had a generator built onto it.  He used a small control panel with a variable speed controller to control power to the motor.  Lighting was planned to be LED so that night time use didn't consume too much of the power generated. 

The variable speed controller was something that we used in controlling variable speed motors in golf course irrigation stations. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 09:21:44 am »
My former partner was working on an EV that used a small gasoline engine that I think was about 16hp.  It had a generator built onto it.  He used a small control panel with a variable speed controller to control power to the motor.  Lighting was planned to be LED so that night time use didn't consume too much of the power generated. 

The variable speed controller was something that we used in controlling variable speed motors in golf course irrigation stations. 

Yea, similar thinking on my part as well.
I was mainly going to copy the thoughts of this guy on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-75qkJij6g
He has about 10 episodes that describe it all very thoroughly. It's done with a little humor but he's a smart guy

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 09:36:58 am »
Tim's vehicle didn't use batteries.  It ran entirely on the power of the generator.  The small gasoline motor was only to turn the generator.  It ran at a constant speed and the power output was controlled through the variable speed electric panel.  I believe it also had a variable drive pulley between the motor and differential.  Similar to or from some of the newer shiftless motorcycles.
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 10:18:53 am »
Tim's vehicle didn't use batteries.  It ran entirely on the power of the generator.  The small gasoline motor was only to turn the generator.  It ran at a constant speed and the power output was controlled through the variable speed electric panel.  I believe it also had a variable drive pulley between the motor and differential.  Similar to or from some of the newer shiftless motorcycles.

Oh, it was really similar to a gas powered Golf Cart. That's cool.