Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: New here, bought a 84' 2m4  (Read 23074 times)

jwrape

• View Profile
Re: New here, bought a 86' 2m4
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 09:29:44 am »
It could be that you've got a hybrid.  84 and 85 had the speakers in the headrest.  So, the passenger seat has been swapped out.  It could be that other parts have been swapped out, too.  That's one of the nice things about Fieros.

Oh yea, that's exactly what I love about the car. The parts are cheap to mod the car, you can build ANYTHING out of it and you can also build a lot of custom things yourself if you have the know how. It's light, nimble and fun to drive and just all around a cool little car. The ONLY thing I don't like is sitting so close to the ground when a Semi get near ya. The Fiero and any occupants don't stand a chance, but I stay away from those even now in my G35. It's not much larger than the Fiero.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:26:13 am by jwrape »
86GT Automaic 2.8L, 05, G35, 96 MZ3

jwrape

• View Profile
Re: New here, bought a 84' 2m4
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 09:32:37 am »
So.... Maybe you might know this: I had a 2.5L Duke Jeep YJ. Well back then I bought a RV Cam for the 2.5L that was supposed to give it a lot of power. I am wondering what, if any difference it would give the Fiero. I don't know if it would help or hurt. But it was highly worshiped in the Jeep circles. They don't make them anymore so I hung onto it.  ;D

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 09:40:44 am »
Accelerate Motion has a cam they refer to as the "RV cam", which they say gives a bit more low-end torque, which is what you would want in a jeep. They don't recommend it for Fieros, but they do have cams for Fiero dukes also. I'm rebuilding a duke now, and I have an Accelerated Motion cam for it. I'm also putting on BBC roller rockers, which will result in less valve train friction -- important when you increase the lift.
The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 09:42:17 am »
If you have the VIN number, run it though this VIN decoder:
http://gafiero.org/vin.shtml

Ok you sparked my interest and I went down to my G and got the title.

Turns out, it's not a 84' or 85', it's a 86.... Wow, I was really off.
What does this mean. Were they better?
The VIN Decoder says Fiero Sport 2.5Liter L4 EFI, GM RPO LR8, Production number 226167 out of Pontiac, MI

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 09:47:48 am »
Accelerate Motion has a cam they refer to as the "RV cam", which they say gives a bit more low-end torque, which is what you would want in a jeep. They don't recommend it for Fieros, but they do have cams for Fiero dukes also. I'm rebuilding a duke now, and I have an Accelerated Motion cam for it. I'm also putting on BBC roller rockers, which will result in less valve train friction -- important when you increase the lift.

Kinda what I figured on that one. I will keep it for the next Duke Jeep I get.  ;D

How much was the Accelerate Motion Performance Cam and the roller rockers? I kinda want to get all I can out of the lil' Duke. Especially since it has on 113k miles on it. It's just broken in. My Jeep had over 200k on it and used a little oil but ran great. I actually like it after I put the 6 cyl 258 throttle body on it and it finally could breathe. It made a huge difference in it's power.

I saw that Holley is the only one for the Fiero and they are hard to come by.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 09:59:40 am »
The Jeep engines were similar to GM engines, especially the inline 6's.  Some of the others used Buick V6's, too.  I don't know if the cam would fit the Fiero engines, but even if it would, I don't think I'd go there.  In general, the Fiero 2.5 engine isn't of hop-up quality, without replacing most of the internals with some pretty expensive pieces.  The 84 was the poorest of all.  Cranks and rods just aren't that strong and the hp gain isn't worth the money.  A 92 hp engine hopped up to 140 hp could be pretty expensive.  Cheaper and easier done by just dropping in a good 2.8 Fiero engine or a 160 hp Camaro/Firebird 3.4.  

Mercury Marine used the GM 4 cylinders in their stern drive systems throughout the 80's and 90's.  The cam is different, in that it's designed to run at high rpm and under constant load.  Using one of those engines and changing out the cam and the bolt-on stuff might give you a little better 4-banger.  

I have a Yamaha-outfitted inboard that uses the GM 4.3.  When I replaced the engine, the marine dealers wanted over 3,000 for a long block because it was a 'special marine engine'.  I compared Yamaha and GM specs and found them to be the same, so I bought a rebuilt 4.3 for about $700.  I just swapped in my marine cam, installed the engine and went skiing.  

I just saw your post that you've got an 86.  The engine was improved as far as the strength of the internals.  It is a better engine than the 84.  TopNotch is working on an 88, which was the better engine of all the Fiero 4's. 
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 10:02:43 am »
The Accelerated Motion cam and lifter kit was $235 including shipping. I got the roller rockers off Ebay for pretty cheap (around $50, I think). Just go in Ebay and search for "BBC roller rockers". There are many different kinds by several different manufacturers. Get full roller rockers (fulcrum and tip). There are aluminum and stainless steel ones. I got steel, because I heard they are better for daily driving.
You will have to drill and tap your head to install them. That's best done with a drill press, where you can keep the drilling straight.

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 10:04:19 am »
Ok, with that said. I will just get it running optimal for DD use and then fix up the asthetics of it. Wheels (staggered), vinyl wrap the car in a nice color, seat covers and especially the Grand Am brake upgrade. Not too much to do. The fun part will be getting her running in top shape again. I love make old stuff new again.

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 10:06:34 am »
BTW, since the roller rockers are sold in a set for a V8, and I'm only going to use half the set, I have the other half that I won't use.

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 10:13:05 am »
BTW, since the roller rockers are sold in a set for a V8, and I'm only going to use half the set, I have the other half that I won't use.

Yea, i am interested. I'm not totally ready for them yet. I gotta get the ol' girl running. I would like to know what you want for them if you would PM me.

I assume you have to tap and drill the head for the new studs right?

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 10:39:01 am »

Yes, the BBC studs are 7/16, and the Fiero studs are 8mm. If you use cutting oil while drilling, it keeps the filings from going everywhere, and afterwards, you can pick them off with a magnet.

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 10:41:15 am »

Yes, the BBC studs are 7/16, and the Fiero studs are 8mm. If you use cutting oil while drilling, it keeps the filings from going everywhere, and afterwards, you can pick them off with a magnet.

Sounds easy enough.

jwrape

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 12:16:06 pm »
Oh man! Got the Fiero in the new shop and started pulling it apart. I remove the second and third plugs. 1&4 are broken off. It looks bad. Gonna have to get really good with the easy out. I also removed the entire front brakes that were seized into place. Whew! Then I got inside and removed the entire console for cleaning and reattaching the vinyl. Gonna get that finished today.

I took tons of pics and will start a project thread and post them. I guess about 20 pics for everything last night. Should be a good project thread start.

Tha Driver

• View Profile
    • Angel On Earth
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 12:32:35 pm »
If you have a torch it might help to heat the spark plug pieces before you extract them. That was the ONLY way I got a broken plug out of a chevy pickup for my brother, saving me the work of pulling the head.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

TopNotch

• The Duke of URL
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 01:13:36 pm »
If it's a 4-banger, removing the head isn't that hard. Remove the pipe at the exhaust manifold instead of trying to remove the manifold. Pull the head and then work on the plugs. Get new bolts when you put the head back on.