Tips
Links
Members
Message Board
Other Fiero Clubs
VIN Decoder
Speed Calculator
GFC Facebook Page

Author Topic: Replacement Fiero Wiper Arms  (Read 20662 times)

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
Replacement Fiero Wiper Arms
« on: April 23, 2011, 03:04:37 pm »
Are your wiper arms rusted or have they just plain lost their tension?  Dorman makes a wiper arm for the 95-98 Chevy truck that will work on the Fiero.  If you can't find them at the local parts store, Rock Auto has them.

Motormite part numbers 42579 and 42580 also work. The Dorman and Motormite arms have the right curve and use the hook method to attach the blade, so it does away with the pin style that we currently have.  If you plan to replace your blades, it would be a good time to replace the wiper arms, too, so that you have the right adapter.  

RWDPLZ of the Pennocks Forum reports he's using a 20 inch blade on the drivers side and an 18 inch blade on the passenger side, those being the longest blades you can use without hitting the edges of the windshield.  I suppose if you wanted to buy a boxed pair, 18 inch would work well on both sides. 

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 03:35:12 pm by Fierofool »
There are three kinds of men:

1.    The ones that learn by reading.
2.    The few who learn by observation.
3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

scottb

• View Profile
Re: Replacement Fiero Wiper Arms
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 06:12:48 pm »
I tried these out this morning: Drivers side great, passenger side not so good. The passenger side arm is too big to fit tightly on the post. I wound up jerry rigging it with a piece of aluminum foil. Maybe it will work, maybe it wont.

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:46:52 pm »
Want to come down tomorrow and go to the junk yard with me?  I know where there's a pair on a Fiero.  Probably some other goodies, too.  Harness, relay and what have you. 

3.    The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.    Will Rogers

JORAMA57

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 06:58:06 pm »
How do you remove the wiper arms? I have tried and was not able to get them out.Is there a tool?

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 07:16:23 pm »
If you have original wiper arms, open the front compartment hood.  Look at the side of the wiper arm near the base and you will see a small hole.  Now, before you do anything, using a Sharpee marker, mark the position of each blade where it sits on the windshield.  This will aid in replacing the arms in the correct positions.

Now, find a drill bit that will fit into that hole.  Lift up on the wiper arm with a little force and insert the drill bit into the hole.  That will allow you to work the wiper arm off the transmission shaft.  Using the wiper arm, with one hand rock the assembly side to side while lifting up on the base with the other hand.

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 07:29:56 am »
That didn't work....... passenger side wiper won't move at all. Anyone have an idear to make it work?

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 07:24:40 am »
These wiper arms will NOT work. Apparently the tooling has been changed and the newer arms will not grab the the posts. I had one that had different markings on it that worked beautifully. I had the parts guy order another one but it came back with different markings and would not fit. After going through 7 different arms, I gave up.  Back to the old pin style.

Scott

Fierofool

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Georgia Fiero Club
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 09:29:18 am »
This is quoted from RWDPLZ's thread that I got the information from.  This was in response to a problem with the arm not fitting the post on the passenger side. 

Did you get the part #'s I put in the original post? Also, they don't press onto and click into place like the Fiero wiper arms do, there's a little lever on the bottom you have to slide open, and then close when they're on the spindle. 

You can read the whole thread here:  http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/101621.html

scottb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 12:07:58 pm »
Yes, I read that. Open the thingy, slide the arm on the post, close the thingy, the splines will not grab onto the post. As I said, I think the tooling has been changed. Or they are coming from 2 different vendors. One of the first ones I got worked great, the others didn't, and they had different markings on them which leads to the different tooling or different vendors theory. Either way I got my money back and now have 2 windshield wipers.

Scott